Yahoo's! top 10 worst movie couples

terry78

My name is Stefan, sweet thang
Reaction score
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/10mostmismatchedcouples.html

#

I Love Trouble - 1994
In the early 90's, Julia came out of nowhere to become the biggest female star in the world. Nick was named People Magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive" in 1992. So why not pair them together in a screwball comedy about dueling reporters? Because he was nearly twice her age, and both of them appeared to be painfully aware of that fact.
Nick Nolte Photos |  Julia Roberts Photos |  Movie Info
#

Ben Affleck & Jennifer Lopez
Gigli - 2003
Ah, "Gigli." The makers of "Ishtar" thank you for replacing their movie title as the funny word that means "embarrassing flop." Ben and J.Lo met on the set of their ill-conceived gangster-meets-lesbian love story, and the tabloids were packed with stories about them every week thereafter. Still, real life sparks don't always translate to the screen, and the movie's failure killed the couple's future.
Ben Affleck Photos |  Jennifer Lopez Photos |  Movie Photos
#

Harrison Ford & Anne Heche
Six Days, Seven Nights - 1998
When Anne Heche was cast in this romantic action movie, she was a little-known but well-respected actress. By the time the film hit screens, everybody knew her as Ellen DeGeneres' girlfriend. But even without the real world intruding, there's no way anyone would buy the 29-year-old Heche and 56-year-old Ford ending up together, no matter how much time they spent on a desert island.
Harrison Ford Photos |  Anne Heche Photos |  Movie Info
#

Kevin Spacey & Kate Bosworth
Beyond the Sea - 2004
The real Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee were quite an odd couple. He was a balding singer from the Bronx; she was a 16-year-old movie star. But somehow they made it work. In the movie of Darin's life, however, Spacey and Bosworth were completely unbelievable. It didn't help that Spacey was eight years older than the actual Darin ever lived to be. At least his hairline fit the part.
Kevin Spacey Photos |  Kate Bosworth Photos |  Movie Photos
#

Hayden Christensen & Natalie Portman
Star Wars - Episode II and Episode III - 2002/2005
After watching the uncomfortable scenes with Natalie Portman and 10-year-old Jake Lloyd in The Phantom Menace, Star Wars fans everywhere thought, "It can't get worse than this." Oh, how little they knew. For the next two prequels, they were faced with Portman and Christensen stiffly reciting George Lucas' leaden dialogue. When the giant lizard Obi-Wan rides is more convincing than their romance, it's enough to make you want to scream "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Hayden Christensen Photos | Natalie Portman Photos | Movie Photos
#

Madonna & Adriano Giannini
Swept Away - 2002
The original Italian 1974 film "Swept Away," was an examination of class and gender issues. Guy Ritchie's 2002 remake is an examination of his wife's dedication to Pilates. Watching this movie makes you not only question why Madonna would fall for Adriano Giannini's crude and abusive fisherman, but why she thought it'd be a good idea to make another movie with her spouse after having already bombed with her previous husband Sean Penn in "Shanghai Surprise."
Madonna Photos |  Adriano Giannini Photos |  Movie Photos
#

Dan Aykroyd & Rosie O'Donnell
Exit to Eden - 1994
"Exit to Eden" was a dark, romantic novel by "Interview With a Vampire" author Anne Rice about bondage and S&M. Who better, then, to turn it into a movie than the creator of "Mork and Mindy?" An even better question: what movie executive thought that the formula for box office gold was putting Dan Aykroyd and Rosie O'Donnell in skimpy studded leather outfits? As the comic relief they are painfully unfunny, and not even the kind of painful that a dominatrix would enjoy.
Dan Aykroyd Photos |  Rosie O'Donnell Photos |  Movie Info
#

Justin Guarini & Kelly Clarkson
From Justin to Kelly - 2003
Casting the first and second place finishers of "American Idol" in the lead roles of a movie is sort of like letting the "Top Chef" winners perform your appendectomy. You would think being on a TV show together would make both Justin and Kelly comfortable being in the presence of both a camera and each other, but they look lost without Simon around to berate them. At least the dismal failure of the movie insured that we wouldn't be subjected to "From Jordin to Sanjaya."
Justin Guarini Photos |  Kelly Clarkson Photos |  Movie Photos
#

Eddie Murphy & Eddie Murphy
Norbit - 2006
It took 25 years of hard work for Eddie Murphy to go from "Saturday Night Live" cast member to Oscar-nominated thespian. But it took just 2-1/2 minutes of the "Norbit" trailer to kill any hope he ever had of being taken seriously again. As both the nerdy title character and his overweight and domineering wife Rasputia, Murphy proved he can be supremely unpleasant no matter what size or gender.
Eddie Murphy Photos |  Eddie Murphy Photos |  Movie Photos
#

Woody Allen & Any Actress 20+ Years Younger than Him
It was always part of the comedy in Woody Allen's early movies how a bespectacled, awkward guy like him could end up with gorgeous women. Unfortunately, no one ever let Woody in on the joke. And by the time he was casting women like Téa Leoni (31 years younger than him) and Julia Roberts (32), it really stopped being funny. The most absurd: when his character in "The Curse of the Jade Scorpion" is seduced by Charlize Theron (four decades younger than Woody).

Im not surprised Ben Affleck and Lopez made the list. gawd, I didn't like that they were a couple. Lopez was too good/too much for him anyway. Even Ben admitted that it was bad move on his part but I am glad to see him move on and picking up the pieces with Garner. :)

I'd add:

Bosworth and Routh in Superman Returns
Bale and Holmes in Batman Begins (But I liked the film very much)
Matthew McConaughey and Jodie Foster in Contact

I'd add:

I didn't think Bale and Holmes were bad together. Not great, but not bad either. Bosworth and Routh, I agree though.

I didn't think Bale and Holmes were bad together. Not great, but not bad either. Bosworth and Routh, I agree though.

I just saw zero chemistry with my additions. Luckily for BB it had no bearing on the film. They weren't bad, they just lacked any chemistry.

With Superman Returns, the lack of chemisty between Superman and Lois was simply the first problem on a long list.

I would add Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta Jones (Entrapment) to the list. When I saw Connery run his hand over Jones' bare thigh and back, I felt like I had been molested. And when they locked lips, I actually went "Ew!" It's like Connery's role had been written for someone in their 30's or early 40s, but they decided to cast Connery because he was available and they needed a big name.

I'd add:

Never saw Contact, but I'd definitely agree on the first two.

BTW, with Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen in Star Wars, do you guys think that it was Lucas's bad writing and direction that killed their on screen chemistry, or do you think that the chemistry simply wasn't there in the first place (meaning that they should have cast someone else as Anakin)?

Sean Connery could tap Hayden Paniettere if he wanted to. He's the man. :o

I would add Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta Jones (Entrapment) to the list. When I saw Connery run his hand over Jones' bare thigh and back, I felt like I had been molested. And when they locked lips, I actually went "Ew!" It's like Connery's role had been written for someone in their 30's or early 40s, but they decided to cast Connery because he was available and they needed a big name.

BTW, with Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen in Star Wars, do you guys think that it was Lucas's bad writing and direction that killed their on screen chemistry, or do you think that the chemistry simply wasn't there in the first place (meaning that they should have cast someone else as Anakin)?

I think a lot of it had to do with Lucas's bad writing and direction.

Pretty good list especially Woody Allen. Although the girls are of legal age, the age difference is so large he should still be considered a pedophile if I had my way.

Hard to say. I didn't really sense much chemistry between Natalie & Hayden, but then again, Lucas's dialogue was so bad no one could have possibly made it work.

Julia Roberts skinny dipping scene in "I Love Trouble" is the only reason to even bother renting it. Once you've watched that part, just turn the film off.

Sean Connery could tap Hayden Paniettere if he wanted to. He's the man. :o
Your The Man Now Dog!
I'd add:

Foster has bad chemistry with quite a few male costars. Not that its because shes a lesbian because she had good chemistry in Sommersby with Richard Gere and Maverick with Mel Gibson. She just seems a little stiff and stand offish with some male leads.

Blasphemy is punishable by death :o :ikyn

BTW, Anne Heche has a very interesting Yahoo Movies bio. She's like a real-life Lifetime movie.

Hayden Christensen & Natalie Portman
Star Wars - Episode II and Episode III - 2002/2005
After watching the uncomfortable scenes with Natalie Portman and 10-year-old Jake Lloyd in The Phantom Menace, Star Wars fans everywhere thought, "It can't get worse than this." Oh, how little they knew. For the next two prequels, they were faced with Portman and Christensen stiffly reciting George Lucas' leaden dialogue. When the giant lizard Obi-Wan rides is more convincing than their romance, it's enough to make you want to scream "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Hayden Christensen Photos | Natalie Portman Photos | Movie Photos

So true.

Even as someone who likes the prequels and defends them relentlessly, I've got to say that the way Lucas handled the interactions between Padme and Anakin was inexcusable. :o

Foster has bad chemistry with quite a few male costars. Not that its because shes a lesbian because she had good chemistry in Sommersby with Richard Gere and Maverick with Mel Gibson. She just seems a little stiff and stand offish with some male leads.
:huh: What? She's not gay. :huh:

You have to give the blame to Lucas and his writing and direction. Hayden and Portman have been very good in other projects. Hayden specifically in Shattered Glass, and Portman in a ton of things, Garden State being my favorite. The dialogue is so bad it simply cannot be excused.

It is a fact that Lucas simply tells his actors to hit their mark and say their line. Everyone from Harrison Ford to Jimmy Smitts has confirmed this (in a nice way of course). They are given no motivation and they are usually acting off blue screens so they have no frame of reference for the scenery.

I'd add:

Could Bale and Holmes be considered a couple in the movie though? I never really saw them as a couple.

Could Bale and Holmes be considered a couple in the movie though? I never really saw them as a couple.

I think the word couple can encompass many meanings. Nolte and Roberts were not an actual couple in 'I Love Trouble' either were Affleck and Lopez in 'Gigli'.

When they say couple they mean the male and female lead. Usually there is some sexual tension even if they don't out and out become hitched.

Just looked it up. I guess I heard about it before, but totally forgot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"