Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 for PS3, arriving at launch

Zenien

Reaction score
Oct 17 Update - Official PR

The PR clarifies some of the points raised in the thread - for example, this is a PS3 distro that will be made generally available with Sony's blessing. It is also to be downloadable on public mirrors (aka it will indeed be free). The PR also highlights some specific apps included in the distro that have been 'enhanced' for PS3:

Terra Soft to Provide Linux for the Sony PLAYSTATION®3.

LOVELAND, Colorado - 17 October 2006 - Terra Soft is proud to announce Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 for PLAYSTATION®3 from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI).

Yellow Dog Linux v5.0, Terra Soft's next generation Linux operating system for Power will support PLAYSTATION 3, providing an end-user experience far surpassing previous versions. Through an aggressive, rapid co-development project conducted by Carsten Haitzler and the Enlightenment development team, Yellow Dog Linux v5.0, built upon Fedora Core 5, now integrates the next generation "E17" desktop in order to provide an unprecedented level of function and interface aesthetic. Designed for users of all ages and all levels of experience, Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 is Terra Soft's most advanced distribution to date.

"We have worked closely with the energetic, determined E17 team to bring this advanced graphical user interface to a state of interface euphoria. It's not about eye candy and unnecessary special effects, it's about finding balance between a lean, uncluttered desktop and a personal environment that is both familiar and powerful. E17 is simply the most incredible thing I have ever used --with any operating system," states Cesar Delgado, System Administrator for Terra Soft.

Owen Stampflee, Lead Software Engineer of Terra Soft Solutions expresses, "From the days of the Commodore 64 to modern overclocked and water cooled home computers, a battle has raged between dedicated game boxes and home computers for highest quality game play. PLAYSTATION 3 provides an industry first exceptional Linux OS experience ... and Terra Soft the first Linux OS. I am proud to have played a part in this development."

Under basic agreement with SCEI, Terra Soft was granted a unique opportunity to develop and bring to market a complete Linux OS for the Sony PLAYSTATION 3. In development of Yellow Dog Linux v5.0, Terra Soft integrated and enhanced code from Barcelona Supercomputing Center, Sony Group, and Fedora in order to offer the following:
- kernel 2.6.16
- gcc 3.4.4 and glibc 2.4
- Cell SDK 1.1
- OpenOffice.org 2.0.2
- FireFox 1.5.0 and Thunderbird 1.5.0
- Nautilus 2.1.4
... and a suite of Personal Accessories, Development Tools; Sound & Video, Internet, and Networking applications.

A single-click installer enables absolutely anyone to install without instruction. Post-install, the default suite of applications presents an intuitive, self-guided means of exploring Linux without the confusion of multiple applications in the same family. An Advanced installer mode enables selection from greater than fifteen hundred packages, as is expected from a complete Linux distribution.

PLAYSTATION 3 is an advanced computer system designed to provide next generation computer entertainment contents in the home, incorporating the state-of-the-art Cell microprocessor with super computer like power.

As a guest of IBM at the annual SC2006 tradeshow, Nov 13-16, Tampa, Florida, Terra Soft will showcase Yellow Dog Linux v5.0, Y-HPC v2.0 beta, and Y-Bio v1.1. Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 for PLAYSTATION 3 will be made available through YDL.net Enhanced accounts, through the Terra Soft on-line Store, retailers, and public mirrors world-wide.

About Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
As the recognized leader in Linux for Power since 1999, Terra Soft provides turn-key integrated solutions built upon IBM and Mercury systems, board support packages for Power OEMs, and develops cross-architecture Linux applications for high performance computing. As an IBM Business Partner, Mercury and Apple VAR, Terra Soft provides turnkey HPC systems. Terra Soft develops Yellow Dog Linux, an historic 32/64-bit Linux OS for the Power architecture and first to market with support for the Cell processor; the Y-HPC cluster construction; and Y-Bio, a cross-architecture gene sequence analysis suite for both workstations and clusters.

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/news/2006/2006-10-17.shtml

1et5.jpg

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/delivery.shtml

YDL v5.0 is slated for release mid-November with support for the Sony PS3 first, and support for the former Apple PowerPC product line to follow. Any updates required to support the Apple PowerPC systems following the release for PS3 will be made available via a free download.

Which systems will be supported?
Terra Soft will initially launch YDL v5.0 with support for the Sony PS3. By the close of 2006, support for the former Apple PowerPC product line will be made available, with intent to provide both DVD and CD install images via YDL.net Enhanced and the public mirrors, while the shipping product will be available on DVD only.

:|

The PS3 is going to absolutely rape the 360 as a media center.

Hey, any word on if the internet viruses, spyware, pop-ups, and trojan horses will be free downloads? Or will you have to pay for them?

Zenien said:

:|

The PS3 is going to absolutely rape the 360 as a media center.
DRT says E17 is a dog**** window manager that was just started and isn't even an alpha yet, open office is slow and buggy, and that the entire linux community has almost universally decided to not support this, meaning there will be absolutely nothing that runs on it, at all.

But nice try.

imdaly said:
Hey, any word on if the internet viruses, spyware, pop-ups, and trojan horses will be free downloads? Or will you have to pay for them?

Two words...

Numerous and Free :p

...it doesn't work like that guys... :o

Well then he'd be wrong considering how bloody long the new E17 has been in development, wrong or a liar. But shields at maximum and all that, go fanbots go!

I've been using open office for a while now at his insistence, funny how it's now apparently slow and buggy, I haven't noticed any.

Nice try WHF, but no.

Ubuntu is the only half decent version of LINUX anyway... and that takes days to setup and update (even for a freaking Network Engineer :o)

And the PS3 release is a one button install, if you'd bother to read to OP. :o

Zenien said:
And the PS3 release is a one button install, if you'd bother to read to OP. :o

Its still a **** version of a **** OS Zen :o

read my post and you might just figure out I was talking about UBUNTU being a ***** to install :(

built upon Fedora Core 5
Sucks major ass, you guys who have never used Linux have no idea how bad it is, it's like your PS3's come preinstalled with AIDS. They should have went with Debian, or something else that isn't dog ****.

the next generation "E17" desktop
Complete crap. Have you guys ever seen Enlightenment at work? Probably not, I think I'm the only one here who has used Linux. Trust me, it's even worse than Red Hat's crappy little Fedora Core. This thing is going to crash left and right, freeze, suck up system resources (E17, on most machines, actually ate more RAM than the "Aero" stuff in the Vista beta, just to give you an idea), be distracting and difficult to use, and generally suck. They should have used a window manager that's awesome, like Gnome or KDE, not something that sucks ass like E17. Hell, they could have even used xfce and no one could have really complained. As a computer nerd, this is actually a bigger blunder than $600 and funding Resistance.

bring this advanced graphical user interface
If by "advanced" you mean "buggy peice of **** that lacks basic features of real window managers, while at the same time having a larger memory footprint". Otherwise, no, totally wrong.

- OpenOffice.org 2.0.2
Might be ok, but it's generally bug-ridden and runs slow because of Java. They should have used Abi Word, or just some generic Enlightenment-specific word processor.

I'm a linux nerd, so I want to be happy that more people will get the chance to use it...but this is actually worse than people not using it. This is allowing a mass market to experience the absolute worst that linux has to offer, it's a disaster. Why oh why couldn't they have just used Ubuntu, or some other Debian-Gnome marriage :(

Ubuntu is the only half decent version of LINUX anyway... and that takes days to setup and update (even for a freaking Network Engineer :o)
Ubuntu is actually perfect and can be installed in under a minute, by an animal. Everyone should go download and install it (http://us.releases.ubuntu.com/6.10/) right now.

But seriously, what are you talking about, several days? What on Earth were you doing? :confused:

blah blah he recommend open office blah blah
Because I hadn't used AbiWord at the time. Open Office is still ok (except for when it's on a PS3), but it's not as good as I probably told you. Unlike the rest of Ubuntu.

Zenien said:
...it doesn't work like that guys... :o

Well then he'd be wrong considering how bloody long the new E17 has been in development, wrong or a liar. But shields at maximum and all that, go fanbots go!

I've been using open office for a while now at his insistence, funny how it's now apparently slow and buggy, I haven't noticed any.

Nice try WHF, but no.
Version .17? No, it hasn't been in development for a huge amount of time, especially compared to other open source projects :confused:

KurtAngle said:
Sucks major ass, you guys who have never used Linux have no idea how bad it is, it's like your PS3's come preinstalled with AIDS. They should have went with Debian, or something else that isn't dog ****.

Yeah, thats when I stopped reading the press announcement :(

Complete crap. Have you guys ever seen Enlightenment at work? Probably not, I think I'm the only one here who has used Linux. Trust me, it's even worse than Red Hat's crappy little Fedora Core. This thing is going to crash left and right, freeze, suck up system resources (E17, on most machines, actually ate more RAM than the "Aero" stuff in the Vista beta, just to give you an idea), be distracting and difficult to use, and generally suck.

yeah, i went to the trouble of giving it a go... Big mistake. Its buggy as all hell and needs serious work (in LINUX terms that means 2 to 3 years of development).

Ubuntu is actually perfect and can be installed in under a minute, by an animal. Everyone should go download and install it (http://us.releases.ubuntu.com/6.10/) right now.

Yeah, UBUNTU is good. The install time (first time was something like 5 hours... Due to a fair few problems with the distro I had I guess. The second install was much quicker but still filled with problems. Setting up a server machine seems to be much easier and quicker for some reason???)

But seriously, what are you talking about, several days? What on Earth were you doing? :confused:

Its a video game forum on the internet... Welsome to wildly overstating things :p :)

I actually never used Linux. But now I won't because the PS3 stuck it's ass in it.

Ok, so I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to this sort of stuff, but (saying it runs like Sony claims it will) what advantages could this have over the 360? I mean, it sounds like it could be important, but I don't know enough about it to really care.

Basically you'll be able to do basic computer stuff on your PS3, e-mail, internet, word, etc, with the promise of being able to use it as a media center and custom apps and emulators etc probably down the pipeline. With the SDK you'll probably end up seeing some games as well.

Y'know that's the one thing I think of when I look at my XBOX360...

"needs more word processors"

Zenien said:
Basically you'll be able to do basic computer stuff on your PS3, e-mail, internet, word, etc, with the promise of being able to use it as a media center and custom apps and emulators etc probably down the pipeline. With the SDK you'll probably end up seeing some games as well.

I already do all of that on my PC I wouldnt buy a "Video Game System" for that :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"