Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 for PS3, arriving at launch

It's nice to know that I'll eb able to use my PS3 for all my basic computer needs instead of buying a new PC once I've moved out. Anyway things like word are the less important end of the spectrum, media center, internet, that sort of stuff is more important.

Zenien said:
It's nice to know that I'll eb able to use my PS3 for all my basic computer needs instead of buying a new PC once I've moved out. Anyway things like word are the less important end of the spectrum, media center, internet, that sort of stuff is more important.
Computers that do "basic computer needs" cost much less than a PS3.

But not computers that will play high end games. :o

Zenien said:
Basically you'll be able to do basic computer stuff on your PS3, e-mail, internet, word, etc, with the promise of being able to use it as a media center and custom apps and emulators etc probably down the pipeline. With the SDK you'll probably end up seeing some games as well.
gotcha...thanks. While I wouldn't use it THAT much it seems, I can see where it would be an attractive option for others. Although the emulator part does sound enticing.

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/pr...-general.shtml

Quote:
Will YDL run on all Sony PS3 models?

Yes.

Will YDL come pre-installed on PS3s at retail stores?

No. As an end-user of the PS3 you will install YDL on your PS3. This is a relatively simple, painless procedure.

Is PS3 support for Linux improved over that of the PS2?

Definately. Sony has designed the PS3 to run Linux. Your experience as an end-user will be optimal.

Where do I purchase YDL for the PS3?

Terra Soft's On-Line Store or via a YDL.net Enhanced account.

Can I download YDL for the PS3 for free?

As all versions of Yellow Dog Linux are distributed under the GPL, yes, once made available to the public mirrors.

Is source code included with YDL for the PS3?

Yes, on the second DVD, or from YDL.net accounts, and from the public mirrors.

Can I develop games for the PS3 GameOS from YDL?

No.

Will YDL support the Japanese version of the PS3?
Yes.

Does YDL support the Japanese language?

As with the previous 2 versions of Yellow Dog Linux, Terra Soft's Japanese partner Amulet will create a special version of YDL which defaults to the Japanese language. Furthermore, Amulet works to optimize this Japanese language selection beyond that of the standard Fedora Core defaults, optimizing the experience of Japanese speaking persons.

Note, the GAMEOS is refering to the PS3 OS side of things (Which is not linux), there's obviously no limitation on making a game to run in the YDL environment.

It won't take very long for that "you can't develop games for GameOS from YDL" thing to change. Especially if they're making it 100% open source and not just bits and peices of the code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"