The Dark Knight Yin Yang

Yr Blues

Civilian
Reaction score
A noticeable theme of opposites.

Batman, the chaotic good, and Joker, the chaotic evil. Both take matters into their own hands. Figuratively displayed when the Joker was dangling upside-down and the Batman beside him in Yin Yang fashion. Visually stunning.

Batman is the dark knight, "Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now."

Harvey is the white knight, what Gotham needed, but didn't deserve.

Harvey is the embodiment of this theme.

It's very zen, but I hope this thread is not too over-the-top.

yep, most of Batmans villains can be seen as a dark mirror in one way or another.

224521-110766-joker_super.gif

If you've never read The Killing Joke, you might like it. The final Joker scene in TDK is sort of a condensed version of the book

yep, most of Batmans villains can be seen as a dark mirror in one way or another.

224521-110766-joker_super.gif

If you've never read The Killing Joke, you might like it. The final Joker scene in TDK is sort of a condensed version of the book

:up:

i like this thread already,should be nonspoilers though

well that is a reoccurring theme in Batman. Joker is the opposite of Batman. I think most knew this already though.

well that is a reoccurring theme in Batman. Joker is the opposite of Batman. I think most knew this already though.

Yeah, but it's not only with the Joker, but with Two-Face, too—like my post says.

Of course with the Joker it's obvious, but I love pointing out the hanging scene. As for Harvey, it's less obvious until Gordon's speech at the end.

Most of Batman's villains are Batman gone wrong though.

Batman and Two-Face both suffered because of criminals and both became vengeful because of it but took different routes on exacting their vengance. (HOWEVER, in Batman Begins you can see that Bruce ALMOST did the same thing)

Penguin and Bruce Wayne are both children born to extremely rich business families who were born and raised with a silver spoon in their mouths, both have good business sense but Oswald became spoiled, greedy and corrupt while Bruce (at least as much as he can without revealing his true nature) does what he can to better the lives of others.

Catwoman and Batman both have extensive martial arts training, share a love of thrill, adventure, action and chase. They both love skulking about in the night and have an affinity with a type of animal. But Batman tries to stop crime while Catwoman enjoys the riches gained from committing them. Furthermore, as far as I know, Bruce grew up extremely wealthy while Selina grew up poor.

Riddler and Batman are both brilliant detectives who can figure out any mystery that they put their minds to, they both love to horde secrets, out scheming their opponent and share a love for technology which they often take advantage of. Both can be suave, roguish and charming (although Batman is more charming as Bruce Wayne than Batman while Riddler is more charming as Riddler than Edward Naston) and both were wronged by others and seek vengance. However while Batman puts his skills to use fighting crime, Riddler puts his to use to be the ultimate criminal.

One can make similar comparisons with Scarecrow or Deadshot, I am sure. Wrath is plain obvious. Everyone likes to claim one villain is THE anti-Batman, but every interesting villain that he has is an anti-Batman in some way-- because if they didn't both have things in common and things that were exactly opposite then the stories really wouldn't be very interesting. The clever thing is to make them all anti-Batmans in some manner without making them identical to each other.

The Joker in the movie is shown to almost just appear out of nowhere. No past, no history. In a way it's almost like when Batman decided to fix the world, the world fought back and spewed forth the Joker.

If only to maintain the balance :)

Most of Batman's villains are Batman gone wrong though.

Batman and Two-Face both suffered because of criminals and both became vengeful because of it but took different routes on exacting their vengance. (HOWEVER, in Batman Begins you can see that Bruce ALMOST did the same thing)

Penguin and Bruce Wayne are both children born to extremely rich business families who were born and raised with a silver spoon in their mouths, both have good business sense but Oswald became spoiled, greedy and corrupt while Bruce (at least as much as he can without revealing his true nature) does what he can to better the lives of others.

Catwoman and Batman both have extensive martial arts training, share a love of thrill, adventure, action and chase. They both love skulking about in the night and have an affinity with a type of animal. But Batman tries to stop crime while Catwoman enjoys the riches gained from committing them. Furthermore, as far as I know, Bruce grew up extremely wealthy while Selina grew up poor.

Riddler and Batman are both brilliant detectives who can figure out any mystery that they put their minds to, they both love to horde secrets, out scheming their opponent and share a love for technology which they often take advantage of. Both can be suave, roguish and charming (although Batman is more charming as Bruce Wayne than Batman while Riddler is more charming as Riddler than Edward Naston) and both were wronged by others and seek vengance. However while Batman puts his skills to use fighting crime, Riddler puts his to use to be the ultimate criminal.

One can make similar comparisons with Scarecrow or Deadshot, I am sure. Wrath is plain obvious. Everyone likes to claim one villain is THE anti-Batman, but every interesting villain that he has is an anti-Batman in some way-- because if they didn't both have things in common and things that were exactly opposite then the stories really wouldn't be very interesting. The clever thing is to make them all anti-Batmans in some manner without making them identical to each other.

I'm not being general about it. I'm saying how the director extrudes this Yin Yang theme by using visuals and dialogue. Those 2 scenes in particular.

I have agree, the simple act of rotating the camera so that the joker is 'hanging the right way up' is one the single greatest things about the whole film. That's THE moment for me.

Cool thought about the Yin and the Yang. I never thought about the symbolism involved with Batman crouching below and the Joker hoisted above him.

I love nearly everything about this movie, yes even the 'famous' or 'infamous' bat-voice now in the news articles. I love the contrast between the Joker's merrily talking to Batman as he swings back and forth, while Batman takes his act and himself so seriously, remaining in his gruff speaking voice. Awesomeness, and a wonderful contrast!

was ying yang the chinese bloke batman kidnapped from Hong Kong?

yup yup yup the symbolism is definitly there for sure!

yin yang, huh? I thought that was two tadpoles doin' it!

Harvey is the white knight, what Gotham needed, but didn't deserve.

Actually, Gotham did deserve him. Because when it came down to it he broke very easily. His move into violent crime was completely seamless. If you ask me the truth about Harvey Dent's pre-accident personality was swept under the rug just like his actions as Two-Face.

Actually, Gotham did deserve him. Because when it came down to it he broke very easily. His move into violent crime was completely seamless. If you ask me the truth about Harvey Dent's pre-accident personality was swept under the rug just like his actions as Two-Face.

I was roughly quoting the movie. But you raise some interesting points.

EVERY time I go see the movie, and Jokers says, "you COMPLETE me", everybody laughs. I always put my head down, and go, "they don't get it, he's being serious". :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"