Shyamalan's "Split" (James McAvoy)

Pretty sure he stated
if he were to ever make a sequel to Unbreakable it would be a villain origin story, half of the audience gasped and said "oh ****" including myself when Bruce showed up knowing what it was. This is probably my second favorite movie of his now and I can't wait for the third film

I forgot to say, I personally congratulated Anya on her BAFTA nomination and she was like "aww thank you" and then I said I really do you hope you win and then she says "well I'm going up against Spiderman but really, *hand on my chest* thank you so much." My heart skipped a beat for that moment.

I really liked this movie AND I LOVED THE ENDING!!!!

Probably one of the best surprises I've had in a movie in forever!!!

As soon as the James Newton Howard score for "Unbreakable" started playing, I knew what Split was about to do. I turned to my wife and moaned something like "ooooh, I know what this is"... then I sat in anticipation as I waited for either Samuel L Jackson or Bruce Willis to show up... sure enough, they mentioned "Mr. Glass" and then Willis' character of David Dunne appeared. I was amazed. Love it!

so if this is a semi sequel to "Unbreakable" (in which the premise was that "Mr. Glass" was looking for his opposite an unbreakable man) what is opposite of this character, a man with no personality lol

Always liked Shyamalan, felt bad for him for taking such beating. He had some clunkers, like almost everybody, but a lot of his films are really good

Nah Shyamalan deserved all the crap thrown at him. He had a massive ego and made about 5 or 6 terrible movies in a row. And his clunkers feature some atrocious filmmaking on display.

The last airbender will forever be one of the worst movies ever made.

The Happening was so bad, that it actually has a lot of entertainment value as a comedy.

M. Night Shyamalan seemed to be lost in the wilderness for a long while, making some truly awful movies that only highlighted the odd flaws of his earlier more successful movies.

Along with simply being bad, some of his movies like the Happening were just outright bizarre, as if they were movies made by aliens trying to approximate what stories or acting are.

With the Visit, Night's weirdness seemed to find it's proper outlet, a much more deliberately schlocky vibe. It felt like someone helped reign him in a bit or at least gave him the right context. The Visit is a movie full of obvious trailer moments but then also some actually poignant character beats, that then have conveniently pat payoffs. Also white boy rapping. It's weird, but on its own terms it worked.

Split really seemed like it was going to be an extension of that, the weirdness of M. Night funneled into a "F*** You it's January" Movie, a nonsense horror movie for teenagers to text over. I was interested because it really seemed like McAvoy was cutting loose and its premise at least looked like some potential schlocky fun.

The movie delivers on that promise, of likely ill-advised or poor taste fun about a man with 23 personalities abducting young women. But the longer it went on, the more it was clear that there was some actual, real competent filmmaking going on. McAvoy was actually turning in a great performance that while over the top was actually driven by a lot of really subtle choices and turns. The teenage girl characters had a lot more depth than one might expect...

and then of course the film sets up what it sets up and I was blown the hell away.

Truly this is Night's greatest twist of all. He made a movie that would stand perfectly well on its own and in its final seconds makes it doubly as exciting and truly pulls the rug out. The weirdest thing about the twist is the extent to which it will be completely be lost on the texting-through-the-movie crowd. For no fault of their own, most are several years too young to have the context.

Personally though, my wife and I are on cloud 9 after returning from the theater.

Last edited:
Sounds promising redhawk. I enjoyed The Visit very much, and since everyone is raving about the Split, Im definitely going to check it out even tho I think the trailer makes it look like a generic modern horror

so if this is a semi sequel to "Unbreakable" (in which the premise was that "Mr. Glass" was looking for his opposite an unbreakable man) what is opposite of this character, a man with no personality lol

The same as before but more on a figurative level.

Hopefully Shyamalan has gotten beyond his ego and found his footing again. I wasn't sure he'd ever come back from the lighting-fast fall he took, but here we are.

Do people think he'll make a 3rd film that kind of joins the two together?

The film was just average for me, Im not a fan of M. Night Shamalamadingdong so I did not care for the twist ending to begin with but MacAvoy did put in a great performance.

In all truth I only saw the film because I find the lead girl Anya Taylor-Joy amazingly hot in a mousy quiet type of way.

Estimates just keep climbing. The Saturday estimate is $18m which moves the weekend estimate over $40m now, more than double xXx2 ($19m)

Haven't seen this yet, might go tomorrow. I'm really interested in this one, even though I hated his last outing and absolutely loathed Airbender lol.

I really hope this redeems him!

Shaymalan deserves all the criticism he got because he made some awful movies. That being said, I'll give him a chance with this one because I love James McAvoy. I hope it's good, and I hope it's not just another fluke in a pattern where he makes one good movie then 6 bad ones.

You know its funny, I was just looking at Shyamalan's Wiki page and looking how his films fared at the box office, and as much his name got raked through the coals throughout the last decade, his films for the most part remained very profitable. The only film that outright tanked was Lady in the Water. Even THE HAPPENING made triple its budget. Even The Last Airbender made over $300 mill.

Just found that kind of interesting. lol

Good lord, this movie. I genuinely can't remember the last time I left a screening that pumped. I'm generally a reserved dude in theaters, but when it happened, the words "WHAT THE FUUUU---" just leapt out of me. Got some giggles in a packed house, but whatever, I will cherish that moment forever.

I've had the incredible misfortune of having M. Night's first three movies all spoiled for me before I got to watch them, so this was something to be remembered. I could finally be "in" with the crowd's surprise. :funny:

Way to go, Shyamalan. It almost feels like these horrendous past few years have been all a set up. The meme about his career is his greatest twist will be a momentous comeback that no one sees coming. It happened.

Just came back. Very cohesive film, unlike previous of his recent work. Performances were great, story was good, execution was great.

Regarding the surprise "twist", did not see it coming. I can see people attempting to look out for it throughout the movie but [BLACKOUT]it's nothing connected to the DID and the characters[/BLACKOUT]. Really liked this.

Solid 8/10

Last edited:
You know its funny, I was just looking at Shyamalan's Wiki page and looking how his films fared at the box office, and as much his name got raked through the coals throughout the last decade, his films for the most part remained very profitable. The only film that outright tanked was Lady in the Water. Even THE HAPPENING made triple its budget. Even The Last Airbender made over $300 mill.

Just found that kind of interesting. lol

It's because people (like me) kept stupidly giving him chances because The Sixth Sense was so good. :funny:

Had Unbreakable come out 2-3 years later after the opening of Spider-Man it probably would have done even better than it did.

Haven't seen this yet but from everything I've read, I'm guessing
David Dunn turns up at the end.
Right? If I'm not right, don't tell me how I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"