‘Inception’, ‘Star Trek’, and ‘Fast Five’ Return to IMAX for One Week

SuperSoldier985

That's Funny
Reaction score
http://www.slashfilm.com/inception-star-trek-fast-five-return-imax-week/#more-113008

I’m not sure exactly why this is happening, but hey, I’m not about to complain. As part of something called IMAX Big Movie Week, AMC Theatres is bringing back three past blockbusters to IMAX screens for one week starting today: Christopher Nolan‘s Inception, J.J. Abrams‘ Star Trek, and Fast and the Furious five-quel Fast Five. And the best part is, tickets will cost just $7 each. That’s significantly cheaper than regular, non-IMAX tickets cost in many AMC theaters, so it’s a pretty sweet deal. More details after the jump.

The three films will be playing between today, September 30 and Thursday, October 6 on select IMAX screens. (Actually, the description for Star Trek says it’ll be showing for two weeks, but the official AMC announcement says all three films will be back for “one week only,” so I’m not sure what to believe.) Tickets can be purchased through the AMC site, or you can just go straight to Fandango or MovieTickets.com since it looks like that’s where the AMC site eventually leads you anyway.
It’s worth noting that none of the three films were shot in IMAX (though parts of Inception were shot in 65mm), so you shouldn’t expect The Dark Knight-level quality here. Nevertheless, considering that the price of admission regularly hits $12 and up in my area, I’m thinking $7 a pop is a fair price to pay to see any of these films on the big screen, especially if you missed them the first time around. While I’d argue that any film benefits from being seen on the big screen, action-heavy visual spectacles like these three really gain a lot from playing on the largest screen possible.

Aside from these re-runs, it’s actually a pretty good weekend for movies. 50/50, Tucker & Dale vs. Evil, and Take Shelter all open today, and of course, Moneyball and Drive are still in theaters if you haven’t gotten around to seeing them yet. Or, if you like the idea of revisiting an old summer blockbuster but action flicks aren’t really you’re style, The Lion King is still out there as well.
Hmmmm, maybe if I hadn't seen Inception or Star Trek a billion times already, I'd be all over this! There's an IMAX theater about 25 minutes away and for $7, that's not too bad.

Maybe if I can get a group of us together, maybe I'll check one of these out..

Ugh, AMC. That's not IMAX. At least it's cheaper though and they aren't flat out lying to people to double prices.

It feels like it's too soon . If I had just met a girl who hadn't seen Star Trek or Inception , I'd take her.

Ugh, AMC. That's not IMAX. At least it's cheaper though and they aren't flat out lying to people to double prices.

Where does this come from? I know there are plenty of fake-IMAX but it depends on the theater and I would assume it's all chains. The AMC Lincoln Square has a legit IMAX theater in NY for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"