‘Resident Evil’ | Netflix Series

All they had to do was drop the Resident Evil connections and the main character and give us more Bert.

It's almost as if not catering to your built-in audience via the games series wasn't the most forward thinking decision in hoping to build a fairly long lasting streaming venture. :funny:

'It's just as you prophesized! The planets of our solar system, incinerating. Like flaming globes, Sigmund. Like flaming globes. Ah, ha, ha, ha...'

rdZPoYp.jpg

I'd agree with many if they also hypothesized that this was never meant to be a Resident Evil series.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Another bad video game adaptation bites the dust like clockwork.

Im kind of surprised since it seemed like it was consistently in Netflixs top10.

But yeah, a good adaption would be nice.

Yet another example of the streaming numbers that streamers put out being phony or BS. I saw Cowboy Bebop consistently in the Netflix top 10 as well. They still killed it after 3 weeks.

Yet another example of the streaming numbers that streamers put out being phony or BS. I saw Cowboy Bebop consistently in the Netflix top 10 as well. They still killed it after 3 weeks.

Streaming numbers are not their only metric. And the ****ty thing is, their key metrics can change on you.

I think their mistake is "appeal to a larger audience" by doing nothing that would appeal to a larger audience.
They shouldn't be trying to appeal to a wide audience with niche genre properties. Target fans of the property, video game fans, zombie fans, and horror genre fans. Treat any other audience groups as a bonus and not a target.

Use original drama or comedy properties to appeal to a wide audience. Or use a genre property that naturally appeals to a wide audience.

Streaming numbers are not their only metric. And the ****ty thing is, their key metrics can change on you.

All the more reason not to trust the metrics they publicly hand out.

Was this show also trying to appeal to a wider audience? To me this show really just felt like typical Hollywood arrogance and a matter of, "OK we're going to use the Resident Evil license and an existing property to do our post-apocalyptic zombie story that we really want to do."

I think Resident Evil was only used because using an existing brand name or property is the easiest way to sell something these days. Post Walking Dead, everyone wanted to do their own zombie thing, and then that kind of cooled off a little bit. Corporations mainly want existing or established brands. It's unfortunately the direction media has moved in.

Last edited:
They shouldn't be trying to appeal to a wide audience with niche genre properties. Target fans of the property, video game fans, zombie fans, and horror genre fans. Treat any other audience groups as a bonus and not a target.

Use original drama or comedy properties to appeal to a wide audience. Or use a genre property that naturally appeals to a wide audience.

Given the popularity of Resident Evil, its not even like "fans of the property" is some tiny niche. Series is one of the best selling video game franchises of all time.

I think what fans of the series need to contend with is that the narrative of Resident Evil is just plain stupid. Remove the gameplay from the games and what do you have? Schlockly, b-grade narratives. RE ain't Walking Dead.

RE definitely is schlocky but it's better than every adaptation so far of it. When Paul W.S. Anderson is your best take on a property, you know you have failed. And I would argue TWD sucked earlier than that.

Probably. The idea of bringing up TWD as an opposite to Schlockly, b-grade narratives. :funny:

I think their mistake is "appeal to a larger audience" by doing nothing that would appeal to a larger audience.

Yup. Not surprised at all that this failed. Pretty much was the feeling when I saw the trailer and tried to watch the first episode.

I don't know why we can't just get a straight adaptation of the games. Why do they always have to make changes?

I don't know why we can't just get a straight adaptation of the games. Why do they always have to make changes?
For some reason they seem to think the story isn't strong enough in itself. I'd like to see an animated feature of each game and that would at least prove that the story has legs. It's the only way we're ever going to get any satisfaction from this series.

Have to say I gave up on this Netflix after 2 episodes and that was me being kind. So woefully crafted and acted it was shocking to me, as I at least thought Netflix would mindlessly throw cash at making a good RE show. Instead what we got was some ****ehawk combination of Euphoria and Van Helsing on SyFy during its latter seasons.

For some reason they seem to think the story isn't strong enough in itself. I'd like to see an animated feature of each game and that would at least prove that the story has legs. It's the only way we're ever going to get any satisfaction from this series.

Have to say I gave up on this Netflix after 2 episodes and that was me being kind. So woefully crafted and acted it was shocking to me, as I at least thought Netflix would mindlessly throw cash at making a good RE show. Instead what we got was some ****ehawk combination of Euphoria and Van Helsing on SyFy during its latter seasons.

I did enjoy the last movie but it would have been much better if they just adapted the first game and didn't try and smush 1 and 2 together.

I know for coherent reasons and logical ones the story would need to drop certain aspects of the RE story but instead of doing that they seemingly tack the name onto an otherwise generic zombie movie and stick a few references and easter eggs and call it an adaptation.

I know for coherent reasons and logical ones the story would need to drop certain aspects of the RE story but instead of doing that they seemingly tack the name onto an otherwise generic zombie movie and stick a few references and easter eggs and call it an adaptation.

Its the traditional way to do video game "adaptation":

1. Have a movie/TV show you already want to make

2. Acquire a video game license that is vaguely relevant

3. Attach the name to your already-established script

4. Stick a few extremely cheap and superficial references to said license

5. Profit

Its basically using the video game fanbase as a marketing tool for pumping up what would otherwise be a generic entry in some movie genre. And its based in a fundamental contempt for video games and their players.

The RE TV show could have worked if Lance Riddick's character was NOT Wesker, and they dropped the future post-apocalyptic angle all together and just made the show about the inner workings of Umbrella. A kinda corporate horror/thriller show with corporate and government intrigue. That way it could be it's own thing while still being faithful to the source material. But it seems like whoever was behind the show wanted to do their own project and just use the name "Resident Evil" for marketing

The Wesker clones working together subplot was confusing and made no sense. And then you had Reddick cos-playing as game Wesker which was weird. I'm not sure what that means.

Wesker basically betrayed Umbrella as far back as the Mansion Incident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"