Resident Evil 6

Reaction score
Well, now that we've almost all finished Resident Evil 5 (which most of us probably did within a day after its release), where will the series go next?

Capcom has stated it will re-boot the series- by which I believe they mean the game mechanics, not the storyline itself. Apparently it's going to bring it back to its roots:

It’s still classified as a ’survival horror’ series, but the last few games in the Resident Evil series have strayed far from their roots. The first few games forced you to flee more often than anything else with limited ammo and hordes of enemies.

Resident Evil 5was a big departure, taking the series in a far more action-heavy direction by providing you with a wide range of weapons and truckloads of ammunition. The demo of Resident Evil 5 shows that with the exception of the including co-op it’s more or less the same.

Survival is still a big must and there are some definite chills to be found but the true horror aspect came largely due to your relative weakness as a soft, squishy human being with limited firepower. Zombies are much more horrific if you’ve got no real way of dealing with them. While I admit to being much more interested in blasting zombies than escaping them, of the originals will be glad to hear that Resident Evil 6 is planned to be a reboot of the IP, bringing it back to its original style of game.

This comes from producer Jun Takeuchi in response to reviewers who have complained at the ‘glaring similarities’ between this game and its predecessor.

http://www.digitalbattle.com/2009/02/24/resident-evil-6-to-reboot-series/

Who will be the next protagonist?

Who will be the next antagonist?

Is
Wesker
really
dead
?

What will happen with the viruses? New and/or old?

Will co-op be back (almost definitely :o)? And if so, who will be our newest co-op partner?

I thought RE5 was great, but had a few blaring flaws. I hope these flaws are ultimately fixed in the next game, and we get yet another blockbuster of a game.

I don't even want to fathom what Capcom has up their sleeves next, I just hope it's as good as each installment of this series has been. It's my favorite video game series and I await the first images from this game. Sure it'll probably be a while, probably even next generation systems, actually, but I can wait...hopefully. :D

I don't even want to fathom what Capcom has up their sleeves next, I just hope it's as good as each installment of this series has been. It's my favorite video game series and I await the first images from this game. Sure it'll probably be a while, probably even next generation systems, actually, but I can wait...hopefully. :D

Im with this guy. This series is second only to the Hitman series for me, i love it. Im not exactly sure what i want, but i know i dont wanna wait 4 years for 6. Co-Op, imo, must remain in. The co-op in this game is the best iv ever played, i thought it was flawless. Gah! I just want 6 right now, haha. I know i just finished 5, but im sooooo ready to see where the series goes.

I actually wouldn't mind new protagonists. I'd love to see Leon and Claire team up again too and wrap up the Ada storyline, but as the creator said, once you survive this **** once, you are not going to be freaking as much or as unprepared. And that shows. Jill in RE3 was kicking ass, Leon became the ultimate badass by the time RE4 rolled around and Chris was a lot more...eh, heroic in RE5 than he was in the first or Code: Veronica for that matter.

They're trained to do this kind of thing now. Time to get a regular joe who gets a gun and is asked to survive a zombie horde. With that said, I do like going back to claustrophobic settings with limited ammo and health, but please keep the over-the-shoulder angle. The controls of the old games are painful to return to.

Claire's still pretty much an average joe. She IS the average joe hero of the series, sure she's more skilled with this situation than say...average lady walking down the street, but she's still the heroine from the series who is liable to make a mistake. I say this with the utmost love for her. Cause I don't hate any of the main 4.

I do hate they roided up Chris in 5. He looks ridic.

I'd like a game that maybe took place while something else in the series was going on (if that makes sense). Mainly I've always wanted to play as Barry Burton. I'd also like to see what's what with Rebecca and maybe Carlos. What'd they do after Racoon went to ****??

I'll post the same thing I posted in the other thread:
As for the plot

Part of me is kind of glad to see Chris, Wesker, and their story come to an end. I feel like it is time to retire Chris, Jill, and Wesker. The helicopter flight away, it was very reminsant of the first game. Its like everything came full circle. Their story should be done.

I agree that it is time to "reboot," but only slightly. These characters are far too important to the fan base to just create a new plot with new characters. The fans will not accept that and I believe Capcom realizes it. I think by reboot it is time to create a new style of game play and finally let Leon a real plot arc. Sure, Leon had RE2...but none of the plots he started in RE2 have been tied up. Ada is still out there as is whatever organization she is working with. This organization has the G-Virus. Sherry Birkin's plot is still unresolved as well. Leon had the lead in RE4, but even then...that was more of a set up for RE5 than anything else. I say now that Chris' story is done, it is time to let Leon take the main role.

Leon still has a story to tell. It should be told. His character has yet to have a full arc. He is clearly still haunted by Raccoon City and Ada's betrayal (evidenced by his line of RE4: 'She's a part of me that I just can't let go.'). Leon still has room for development. So does Claire for that matter. Both promised to protect Sherry and neither did. They let Wesker snatch her right up. I'd say that may make a good spring board for RE6. Following [blackout]The downfall of Wesker[/blackout], perhaps the government found evidence on the whereabouts of Sherry. Leon and Claire could attempt a rescue operation, that obviously turns into something far greater. There's a good chance Wesker wasn't the one who had Sherry after all. Wesker was working as a mercenary at the time that he took her. We still do not know what company ordered Wesker to attack Rockfort, and we do not know if they are the ones employing Ada/the company that has Sherry. There are still plot points to be resolved. Plot points that directly concern Leon/Claire/and Sherry.

All RE5 did is close the curtain on [blackout]Jill, Chris, and Wesker[/blackout]. There is still plenty to be told.

Frankly I can see them all being members of the B.S.A.A. Save Rebecca, I can see her maybe being Terra Save with Claire or something less militant.

As much closure as their was for
Chris and Jill
. I'm totally not ready to say goodbye yet. They should still have supporting roles in the series, with occassional bouts of playability.

Frankly I can see them all being members of the B.S.A.A. Save Rebecca, I can see her maybe being Terra Save with Claire or something less militant.

I dunno about Barry. According to the RE1 instruction manual was 50 at the time of Resident Evil. So by RE5 he must've been pushing 60. I could see Barry simply having retired and gone back to his family following the events of UC and the downfall of Umbrella.

As for Rebecca, I really wish in Degeneration they just gave her a brief scene in the medical camp set up outside of the airport. It could've shown she is happy and well, working as a doctor for the US government's bio-hazzard response teams and that would be that. The mystery of Rebecca would be done.

Im with Matt on this, again. The Leon/Claire/Sherry arc is, imo, PERFECT to launch into. Who knows, maybe have Claire joining the BSAA following in brothers footsteps? There could be like a joint operation with the BSAA and the US Govt which would see Claire and Leon teaming up again. I dont know, theres so much stuff Capcom can do. IMO, they have never come close to making a bad game in the main storyline, i dont think theyll start here.

I dunno about Barry. According to the RE1 instruction manual was 50 at the time of Resident Evil. So by RE5 he must've been pushing 60. I could see Barry simply having retired and gone back to his family following the events of UC and the downfall of Umbrella.

As for Rebecca, I really wish in Degeneration they just gave her a brief scene in the medical camp set up outside of the airport. It could've shown she is happy and well, working as a doctor for the US government's bio-hazzard response teams and that would be that. The mystery of Rebecca would be done.
Barry's too bad ass to retire. I really want to see him return to the series.

Haha. Maybe they could show him at the wedding of the two lovebirds in some kind of epilogue. :o

As much closure as their was for
Chris and Jill
. I'm totally not ready to say goodbye yet. They should still have supporting roles in the series, with occassional bouts of playability.
I agree with you there. I also like what Matt was sayin up there. I'd like them to start tying up some lose ends. What happened to sherry? WTF is ada's deal? As I said before, what'd Barry and Rebecca and Carlos and so many others end up doing? I'd like to see Umbrella try and make a come back too. I haven't got RE5 yet so I don't know exactly where the story stands

Im with Matt on this, again. The Leon/Claire/Sherry arc is, imo, PERFECT to launch into. Who knows, maybe have Claire joining the BSAA following in brothers footsteps? There could be like a joint operation with the BSAA and the US Govt which would see Claire and Leon teaming up again. I dont know, theres so much stuff Capcom can do. IMO, they have never come close to making a bad game in the main storyline, i dont think theyll start here.
I don't see Claire going into something some militant though. Like I said she's the every woman heroine of the series. The woman who prefers to be peaceful, but if she needs to she'll arm up and kick your ass.

Indeed. Plus we know that in RE2 Ada was NOT working for Umbrella and that she obtained a sample of the G-Virus. We still do not know where the G-virus that Ada stole went and who has it. That could be a future plot point.

Barry's too bad ass to retire. I really want to see him return to the series.

Haha. Maybe they could show him at the wedding of the two lovebirds in some kind of epilogue. :o
Never a truer statement spoken. As cheesey as it was that scene in RE1 when he gives jill the acid rounds and then holds up his magnum and says "I have this" is sooo badass lol

I don't see Claire going into something some militant though. Like I said she's the every woman heroine of the series. The woman who prefers to be peaceful, but if she needs to she'll arm up and kick your ass.

Perhaps that could be a launching point for a game. Claire is working for Terra Save. She could be part of a Terra Save rescue mission and get caught up in a biohazzard and reunite with Leon through those means.

Indeed. Plus we know that in RE2 Ada was NOT working for Umbrella and that she obtained a sample of the G-Virus. We still do not know where the G-virus that Ada stole went and who has it. That could be a future plot point.
Yeah I agree, I want to know what the background thing Wesker and Ada had going was. Lotta loose ends to be tied

Yea and i agree. Maybe she takes a less "militant" job at the BSAA? Or maybe Leon takes a job at the BSAA and is reunited with Claire through Chris. I just think i wanna see those 2(Claire and Leon) back in a game together and id like the BSAA to be a focal point from here on.

Perhaps that could be a launching point for a game. Claire is working for Terra Save. She could be part of a Terra Save rescue mission and get caught up in a biohazzard and reunite with Leon through those means.
It kinda hinges too close to what happened in Degeneration, but it'd make for a funny/cute little moment...

Leon: Well, well, well, Claire Redfield. We just keep bumping into one another don't we?
Claire: Didn't we promise the next time we met it wouldn't be like this?
Leon: I guess the universe wouldn't have it any other way.
Claire: Typical.

It kinda hinges too close to what happened in Degeneration, but it'd make for a funny/cute little moment...

Leon: Well, well, well, Claire Redfield. We just keep bumping into one another don't we?
Claire: Didn't we promise the next time we met it wouldn't be like this?
Leon: I guess the universe wouldn't have it any other way.
Claire: Typical.
Yeah you're right. It'd be almost like a playable version of Degeneration. They need new ground to cover.

Yeah I agree, I want to know what the background thing Wesker and Ada had going was. Lotta loose ends to be tied
Didn't Ada even give him a fake sample of the Las Plagas? You'd think that kind of treachery wouldn't be okay in Wesker's book and he'd have tried to kill her.

It is also important to keep in mind, that Ada was working for someone other than Wesker to obtain the Las Plagas sample in RE4. It wouldn't be Tri-Cell as Excella's bio confirms that Tri-Cell's interest in biological weapons began and ended with Excella and Wesker was pulling Excella's strings in basically her entire career. So who was Ada getting that sample for? Someone has been pulling Ada's strings throughout the series and we still do not know who. All we know is that it is not Umbrella, it is not the government, and it is not Wesker.

Didn't Ada even give him a fake sample of the Las Plagas? You'd think that kind of treachery wouldn't be okay in Wesker's book and he'd have tried to kill her.
I think so, I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I think so. I think it'd be interesting to have an entire game from Ada's POV, kind of a behind the scenes type of game you know.

It is also important to keep in mind, that Ada was working for someone other than Wesker to obtain the Las Plagas sample in RE4. It wouldn't be Tri-Cell as Excella's bio confirms that Tri-Cell's interest in biological weapons began and ended with Excella and Wesker was pulling Excella's strings in basically her entire career. So who was Ada getting that sample for? Someone has been pulling Ada's strings throughout the series and we still do not know who. All we know is that it is not Umbrella, it is not the government, and it is not Wesker.
Another great reason to have an Ada game

Ada would make a kickass main character. She's the right type of morally gray. We don't know exactly where she stands. That'd be different enough from the main 4 for sure.

Maybe Ada can get her own game this time?

From what I've read, he was pretty upset with Ada's agency (I don't know about Ada directly) and went after them, acquiring a sample of Las Plagas "forcefully".

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"