10,000 Days

DV8 said:
I'm confident that the album will grow on me with each listen, as every TOOL album has . . . but even Lateralus, I liked with the first listen, and this one isn't really doing it for me . . .

thanks for posting that review, though Slipnot . . . I had no idea that this was in relation to Maynard's mother
Yeah, 10,000 Days really didn't do anything for me the first couple of listens... it slowly grew on me and I just couldn't stop listening. It's weird. The same thing happened with basically every other Tool album. I've listened to the album around 30 times since I grabbed it a week or so ago.

Slipknot said:
Oh, I will be... I just need my friend to pick me up soon. I'm probably going to end up at Newbury Comics or Best Buy to grab it. I'll definitely be buying it though.

:up: :up: :up:

Slipknot said:
Yeah, 10,000 Days really didn't do anything for me the first couple of listens... it slowly grew on me and I just couldn't stop listening. It's weird. The same thing happened with basically every other Tool album. I've listened to the album around 30 times since I grabbed it a week or so ago.

yeah . . . I have faith . . . even AENIMA, probably my favorite of all of them; kind of freaked me out the first few times I tried to listen to it . . . of course I was only like 14, and had never heard some mind-blowing shyt like that!! But now, I can't imagine not having that disc . . .

it took me eight years to understand Tool

Just bought 10,000 days today, what a great album it seems so far (im up to track 8 atm). Favourite songs so far are Vicarious and Lost Keys, but all have been good.

FooYu said:
Just bought 10,000 days today, what a great album it seems so far (im up to track 8 atm). Favourite songs so far are Vicarious and Lost Keys, but all have been good.

see . . . I guess I'm disappointed because I thought the whole thing was going to be pretty heavy . . . but there seems to be a lot more dead air/filler than usual . . . again, I'm thinking it'll take me a good couple listens, as the hardcore TOOL fans have implied . . .

What did you think about that packaging, though!??!!

How does it compare to Lateralus? That's my favorite Tool album.

KingOfDreams said:
How does it compare to Lateralus? That's my favorite Tool album.

so far, it doesn't . . . and it's tough to label how a TOOL album measures up to a previous one, because they're all so different

Lateralus was much more airy and soft in comparrison to past TOOL albums . . . not to say that it isn't heavy and rif-ripping in a lot of songs (namely parabol and parabola, my favorites on that disc), but this album perhaps hasn't 'sunk in' yet . . . but not enough @$$-ripping parts that I associate with TOOL, and a lot of transcient melodies that get boring to me . . .

but again, I'm expecting it to grow on me as I listen over and over and over again, which I plan on doing

With Lateralus, I was sold right away . . . this one seems to take more effort . . .

BTW, that is a mouthful for me to say, because TOOL has NEVER disappointed me in the past . . .

I remember how sad I was after buying Lateralus and having listened to Aenima since its release. Undertow was slightly before my time being only about 10 when it was released but listening to it when I grew up it was also a good album. I wont be making the same mistake here. Rock music is dead. More money in my pocket i guess.

see that . . . even the Demon Within has forsaken TOOL, some of the most evil rockers alive . . . :(

I hear you though, rock is undergoing a dark stage . . . right now rock is the new pop, and you're not 'cool' unless you're 'hip-hop' . . . I listen to a lot of hip-hop too, but . . . . yeah; rock is just about dead

I have confidence in TOOL, and the new Pearl Jam, and even Audioslave, though . . . if anyone can resurrect the genre . . . they can!

DV8 said:
see that . . . even the Demon Within has forsaken TOOL, some of the most evil rockers alive . . . :(
WTF?! How is Tool evil?

I hear you though, rock is undergoing a dark stage . . . right now rock is the new pop, and you're not 'cool' unless you're 'hip-hop' . . . I listen to a lot of hip-hop too, but . . . . yeah; rock is just about dead

I have confidence in TOOL, and the new Pearl Jam, and even Audioslave, though . . . if anyone can resurrect the genre . . . they can!
Pearl Jam is resting in the alternative groove and they fit quite well there. I hardly see them bringing rock back to life and Audioslave......well, they blow. They blow to no end. I don't know how you can have so much potential produce such incredibly trite and radio-friendly rubbish, but they have all but impressed me. There were two songs off of their first CD that showed that they could really kick ass if they wanted ("Cochise" and "Gasoline"), but they have done anything but show that they have a pair.

The Lumberjack said:
WTF?! How is Tool evil?

Pearl Jam is resting in the alternative groove and they fit quite well there. I hardly see them bringing rock back to life and Audioslave......well, they blow. They blow to no end. I don't know how you can have so much potential produce such incredibly trite and radio-friendly rubbish, but they have all but impressed me. There were two songs off of their first CD that showed that they could really kick ass if they wanted ("Cochise" and "Gasoline"), but they have done anything but show that they have a pair.

dude . . . :down :down :down

I don't think TOOL is really evil, in fact, I believe the exact opposite . . . but everything about from their album art to their videos, their whole appeal is being an evil death-metal band . . . I personally think they're all a bunch of dorks who use the 'evil' thing as a ploy, and a practical joke of sorts . . . and by 'dorks', I mean that they're probably not much different than a lot of hypesters in regards to their sensibilities and interests

Audioslave blows!!?? If you actually listened to their 2nd album, and not just the tired bullshyt they play out on the radio every single day, I would hope your opinion would differ . . . I think your on the 'if it's on the radio, it sucks' bandwagon . . . which ironically limits you in regards to good music . . . I'm all for indie music, and the agree that most of the shyt they play on the radio eats it, but Audioslave fuackin ROCKED in concert . . . and even I hate the shyt that got played out on the radio . . .

DV8 said:
dude . . . :down :down :down

I don't think TOOL is really evil, in fact, I believe the exact opposite . . . but everything about from their album art to their videos, their whole appeal is being an evil death-metal band . . . I personally think they're all a bunch of dorks who use the 'evil' thing as a ploy, and a practical joke of sorts . . . and by 'dorks', I mean that they're probably not much different than a lot of hypesters in regards to their sensibilities and interests
I honestly can see how they might seem "evil" to someone who wants them to be, but I never thought of them that way. Slipknot, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, and Rammstein want you to think they're evil. I always just saw Tool as experimental and off-beat. More like a sideshow at a circus as opposed to a Satanic cult. Freaky and unsettling, but nothing bad.
Audioslave blows!!?? If you actually listened to their 2nd album, and not just the tired bullshyt they play out on the radio every single day, I would hope your opinion would differ . . . I think your on the 'if it's on the radio, it sucks' bandwagon . . . which ironically limits you in regards to good music . . . I'm all for indie music, and the agree that most of the shyt they play on the radio eats it, but Audioslave fuackin ROCKED in concert . . . and even I hate the shyt that got played out on the radio . . .
Boy, you sure do enjoy jumping to conclusions. I don't like one of your favorite bands and I'm automatically an elitist snob? Sounds like you defend your taste in music an awful lot.....

Yes, Audioslave blows. It sounds like they're too ****ing scared to do anything truly original or ground-breaking. They won't even do what both Soundgarden and Rage Against the Machine were known for: balls to the wall rock. Soundgarden to a lesser degree than Rage in that aspect, but what the hell is up with half of their albums being mid-tempo, meandering snooze fests and the other half split between kickass songs and more paint by numbers crap w/ a distortion pedal added.

I don't cared if they "rocked" (a term which is thrown around all too freely these days) in concert, but that has no bearing on whether the music is actually good. I've seen plety of local bands that put on a hell of a stage show, but were on mediocre as far as song-writing goes.

The Lumberjack said:
and Audioslave......well, they blow. They blow to no end.

A.F***ING.MEN!:eek:

Only yesterday, I was at the mall because I had a $50 gift card I was trying to find a way to spend. The store was playing an Audioslave CD.

I haven't really listened to much since their big debut song left me embarrassed as f***. So I stood by the speakers and listened and was completely dumbfounded by how crap it was.

I sort of dug the bravery of Tom Morello, how he was shamelessly doing very simple and unabashedly unoriginal riffs, because I love Anti-Art-Snobbery and a "f*** you, I do what I want to do" attitude.

But every song sounded the same and it got ridiculous!

Strangely, I was flipping through the channels later that night and there was Soundgarden playing on TV! It was classic SNL and it blew up the mind with how perfect and sexy/cool it was, which only made the Audioslave from earlier sound all the more CRAP.

:(

The Lumberjack said:
I honestly can see how they might seem "evil" to someone who wants them to be, but I never thought of them that way. Slipknot, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, and Rammstein want you to think they're evil. I always just saw Tool as experimental and off-beat. More like a sideshow at a circus as opposed to a Satanic cult. Freaky and unsettling, but nothing bad.

Boy, you sure do enjoy jumping to conclusions. I don't like one of your favorite bands and I'm automatically an elitist snob? Sounds like you defend your taste in music an awful lot.....

Yes, Audioslave blows. It sounds like they're too ****ing scared to do anything truly original or ground-breaking. They won't even do what both Soundgarden and Rage Against the Machine were known for: balls to the wall rock. Soundgarden to a lesser degree than Rage in that aspect, but what the hell is up with half of their albums being mid-tempo, meandering snooze fests and the other half split between kickass songs and more paint by numbers crap w/ a distortion pedal added.

I don't cared if they "rocked" (a term which is thrown around all too freely these days) in concert, but that has no bearing on whether the music is actually good. I've seen plety of local bands that put on a hell of a stage show, but were on mediocre as far as song-writing goes.

You have to take into consideration that these guys have already had their heyday . . . they were collectively in 2 of history's greatest rock bands ever . . . at least of the 90's, I guess . . . they can't make song after song of 'balls to the wall' heaviness . . . Chris Cornell is goddam 42!!

They have to keep in mind, that they'll be performing these albums all year long, in addition to the Rage and Soundgarden songs they play in concert . . . that's a huge catalog of high-energy material, that 40-year olds just can't pull off day after day . . . yes, I get your point as far as the radio-friendly bullshyt that their corporate nannies require, but they far from blow, man . . . I'll admit that there are some mid-tempo fillers . . . but I can gaurantee you that they're writing those songs with the mindset that they would prefer to not have a heart attack on stage . . .

Dude . . . they played the SHYT out of that concert . . . plenty good classic Rage, Soundgarden, and Audioslave tunes, which may not ALL be great songs, but they blew my goddam mind, I shyt you not

I agree that the term 'rocked' is overused these days, which is an understatement, but Audioslave goddam RRRROOOOWWCKED!!!

I kind of get your guys' points . . . and Wilhelm, I love you bro . . . but I have to disagree . . . the problem is, they can't be compared to Soundgarden, or Rage . . . cuz those bands can't be touched . . . there's no point comparing them! Plus those times have passed . . . they can't do everything they did back then . . . well, cept for they do in concert . . . play Soundgarden and Rage tunes, that is . . . I'm just going to give up now . . .

DV8 said:
on another note, the new Pearl Jam is surprisingly decent . . . I regretted buying their last 2 albums, and swore to not buy this one, but it's actually pretty good . . . definitely the best PJ album in the last 10 years . . .
This is actually the first Tool album I've ever bought (on my GF's recomendation, I thought I'd give em a try) I enjoyed it, but being a big PJ fan, I did think it was overshadowed by their new one.

DV8 said:
I kind of get your guys' points . . . and Wilhelm, I love you bro . . . but I have to disagree . . . the problem is, they can't be compared to Soundgarden, or Rage . . . cuz those bands can't be touched . . . there's no point comparing them! Plus those times have passed . . . they can't do everything they did back then

I agree. They should be doing something different, but still GOOD!

p.s. If you really loved me, you'd vote for me in the Death Match where I'm being slaughtered, unless you love DOG LIPS more of course, which, really, who doesn't? :):up:

Wilhelm-Scream said:
I agree. They should be doing something different, but still GOOD!

I don't know . . . I definitely think the songs that rock; rock . . . they definitely don't rock like Rage, but I dig 'em . . . and regrettably, I'm sure that they formed this band just to keep touring/playing, and of course . . . make @$$ loads of money . . . because Rage can't play Rage w/o Zack, and this was one way to keep those songs alive . . . which is pretty goddam cool, if nothing else . . .

Green Lantern said:
This is actually the first Tool album I've ever bought (on my GF's recomendation, I thought I'd give em a try) I enjoyed it, but being a big PJ fan, I did think it was overshadowed by their new one.

You think the PJ was overshadowed? I agree . . . and PJ's last couple albums were a disappointment to me . . . this one, it seems like they're going back to their grunge roots, and you can hear a lot more punk influence, even . . . if any PJ album deserves attention, over the past 10 years . . . this is the one!

DV8 said:
I don't know . . . I definitely think the songs that rock; rock . . . they definitely don't rock like Rage, but I dig 'em . . . and regrettably, I'm sure that they formed this band just to keep touring/playing, and of course . . . make @$$ loads of money . . . because Rage can't play Rage w/o Zack, and this was one way to keep those songs alive . . . which is pretty goddam cool, if nothing else . . .
What I don't get is, after RATM broke up, I had the radio on and they played the new solo Zack song and it Rocked like crazy.

And then, I never heard another word about his solo stuff. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"