2013 Rock Hall of Fame Inductees!

gap5ewl

inconspicuous since '03.
Reaction score
http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_n...new-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-inductees?lite

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has officially announced next year's inductees: Rush, Public Enemy, Heart, Randy Newman, Donna Summer and Albert King will all join the class of 2013, with Summer, who passed away this May, and King, who died in 1992, earning the honor posthumously. Lou Adler and Quincy Jones will both receive the Ahmet Ertegun Award for non-performers.
Sooo happy to finally see Rush getting inducted! Also, really excited to see both Heart and Public Enemy as well. Looks like a solid list.

Still no Deep Purple or Cheap Trick. Happy about Rush and Heart.

very happy about Heart

I'm very excited about Rush getting inducted. Rush is one of my favorite bands :up:

Rush! and I kinda agree with Randy Newman, dude is a legend for Disney movies.

The problem is that Randy Newman can hardly be called rock and roll except in some bizarro universe...this one, I guess.

But then again the same problem occurred with rap being made part of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

There should seriously be a Hip-Hop/Rap Hall of Fame in and of itself, I think we can agree the genre is worthy of having its own thing.

Randy Newman can be in whatever hall of fame his music qualifies as...sappy pop ballads? I nominate Barry Manilow also be inducted into the Sappy Pop Ballad Hall of Fame with him.

Anyway, inductees are basically based almost entirely around whether they can sell tickets to the show/sell rights to broadcast the show on TV, not actually on whether or not they deserve to be in it. Except for the "old school" choices they pick to give themselves a veneer of respectability.

I mean I'm not against Rush being in it I'm surprised they weren't before now. It's more that they picked Rush because they know they can stage a huge Rush performance to sell tickets/get money.

The problem is that Randy Newman can hardly be called rock and roll except in some bizarro universe...this one, I guess.

But then again the same problem occurred with rap being made part of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

There should seriously be a Hip-Hop/Rap Hall of Fame in and of itself, I think we can agree the genre is worthy of having its own thing.

The R&RHOF only requires that a musical act's first recording be 25 years old and that they've made a lasting contribution/impact/legacy in the music industry. It's really the catch-all music hall of fame/museum. Every genre is up for grabs, that's why acts like Bob Marley & the Wailer, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Diana Ross & the Supremes, ABBA are all inducted.

They're all worthy, even if they aren't "rock & roll."

As for this group, I wish Kraftwerk and Joan Jett & the Blackhearts had gotten in. Happy to see Public Enemy, Heart and Randy Newman get in. Never liked Rush, but they sell well and have been at it for 30+ years, so they might as well finally give it to them.

But I'm ecstatic that Donna Summer FINALLY made it in. Although, her death pretty much cemented the fact that they'd finally let her in. Long live the Queen of Disco. :applaud:atp::grin::awesome:

Rush is awesome. :up:

I also agree with Randy Newman's induction, though I am not a fan of his. His music does qualify as rock, it's just very soft rock, but the overall rock song structure is there.

Randy Newman can be in whatever hall of fame his music qualifies as...sappy pop ballads? I nominate Barry Manilow also be inducted into the Sappy Pop Ballad Hall of Fame with him.

You don't actually know who Randy Newman is, do you? :o

I think most people nowadays only know him for his Disney songs and film scores...completely neglecting the fact that he's been a satirical songwriting for nearly 40+ years.

Maybe this will cause the younger generation to actually look him up and see that he's done more than write "You've Got a Friend in Me." No diss to that song, I love it. Just saying that there's more to his back story than that.

You don't actually know who Randy Newman is, do you? :o

I'm pretty sure he plays a piano. And not in a progressive rock way, either.

I mean should Mark Russell be in the rock and roll hall of fame, as well, then? I appreciate that Randy Newman has also been a satirist but I'm talking about the musical style.

I dunno, I guess it's just a catch-all but if so then it should quit calling itself the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, OR go full-bore and start inducting people who write musicals and opera.

Rush!!!! About time! :hehe:

Still, this hall needs more ROCK/Alternative... I'd induct:

Metal/Hardrock:

Motörhead
Kiss
Deep purple
Iron maiden
Judas priest
Dio
Glenn Hughes
Gary Moore

Alternative:

Pixies
Kyuss
Pearl jam
Nick Cave & The bad seeds

I don't like Nirvana, but they will surely be inducted in 2014.

Last edited:
Hilarious joke about this on SNL's Weekend Update last night.

Randy Newman wrote 'You Can Leave Your Hat On' and 'Mama Told Me (Not To Come)'. ****ing legend.

Writing? Well then, Peter Sinfield better get inducted next year.

EDIT: Photographic proof the people voting on this are maybe actively trolling the process (the fact he is a writer for Rolling Stone makes this selection even more hilarious to me):

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/blog_files/Rock_Hall_Induction_Rules.html

2013_ballot.jpg

Last edited:
Why are there Rap/Hip Hop artists involved with this?

I'm so sick and tired that at some point in time they started calling that stuff "rock". :doh:

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees:

1986 - Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, James Brown, Ray Charles, Buddy Holly, Fats Domino, Sam Cooke, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Everly Brothers, Robert Johnson, Sam Phillips, Jimmie Rodgers, Jimmy Yancey, Alan Freed, John Hammond

1987 - Roy Orbison, B.B. King, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Bill Haley, Bo Diddly, Carl Perkins, Hank Williams, Big Joe Turner, Smokey Robinson, Louis Jordan, Jackie Wilson, T-Bone Walker, Muddy Waters, Ricky Nelson, The Coasters, Eddie Cochran, Clyde McPhatter, Leonard Chess, Jerry Wexler, Ahmet Ertegun, Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller

1988 - The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Beach Boys, The Supremes, Woody Guthrie, The Drifters, Berry Gordy Jr., Lead Belly, Les Paul

1989 - The Rolling Stones, Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, Otis Redding, Dion, Bessie Smith, The Soul Stirrers, The Ink Spots, Phil Specter

1990 - The Who, The Kinks, Simon & Garfunkel, Louis Armstrong, The Four Seasons, Bobby Darin, The Four Tops, Gerry Goffin and Carole King, Hank Ballard, Charlie Christian, The Platters, Ma Rainey, Holland, Dozier and Holland

1991 - Wilson Pickett, The Byrds, John Lee Hooker, Ike & Tina Turner, Howlin' Wolf, Jimmy Reed, The Impressions, LaVern Baker, Dave Bartholomew, Nesuhi Ertegun

1992 - Johnny Cash, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Yardbirds, The Isley Brothers, Booker T. & The M.G.s, Bobby "Blue" Bland, Elmore James, Professor Longhair, Sam and Dave, Bill Graham, Leo Fender

1993 - Cream, Creedence Clearwter Revival, Etta James, The Doors, Van Morrison, Sly & The Family Stone, Ruth Brown, Dinah Washington, Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers, Milt Gabler, Dick Clark

1994 - John Lennon, Bob Marley, Elton John, Rod Stewart, The Animals, The Grateful Dead, The Band, Duane Eddy, Willie Dixon, Johnny Otis

1995 - Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, Janis Joplin, The Allman Brothers Band, Al Green, Frank Zappa, The Orioles, Martha and the Vandellas, Paul Ackerman

1996 - David Bowie, Pink Floyd, The Velvet Underground, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Jefferson Airplane, Little Willis John, The Shirelles, Pete Seeger, Tom Donahue

1997 - The Bee Gees, The Jackson 5, Joni Mitchell, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Buffalo Springfield, Parliament-Funkadelic, The Young Rascals, Mahalia Jackson, Bill Monroe, Syd Nathan

1998 - The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Santana, The Mamas and the Papas, Allen Toussaint, Gene Vincent, Jerry Roll Morton, Lloyd Pryce

1999 - Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, Billy Joel, Curtis Mayfield, Dusty Springfield, Del Shannon, The Staple Singers, Charles Brown, Bob Willis and His Texas Playboys, George Martin

2000 - Eric Clapton, Billie Holiday, Earth, Wind & Fire, Bonnie Rait, James Taylor, Lovin' Spoonful, Nat "King" Cole, The Moonglows, King Curtis, Clive Davis, Scotty Moore, Earl Palmer, Hal Blaine, James Jamerson

2001 - Queen, Michael Jackson, Aerosmith, Paul Simon, Richie Valens, Steely Dan, Solomon Burke, James Burton, The Flamingoes, Johnnie Johnson, Chris Blackwell

2002 - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, The Ramones, Isaac Hayes, Talking Heads, Chet Atkins, Gene Pitney, Brenda Lee, Jim Stewart

2003 - AC/DC, Elvis Costello & The Attractions, The Clash, The Police, The Righteour Brothers, Floyd Kramer, Benny Benjamin, Steve Douglas, Mo Ostin

2004 - George Harrison, Bob Seger, Jackson Browne, ZZ Top, Traffic, Prince, The Dells, Jann S. Wenner

2005 - U2, The Pretenders, Buddy Guy, The O'Jays, Percy Sledge, Seymour Stein, Frank Barsalona

2006 - Black Sabbath, Blondie, Miles Davis, Sex Pistols, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss

2007 - Van Halen, R.E.M. Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five, Patti Smith, The Ronettes

2008 - Madonna, John Mellencamp, Leonard Cohen, The Dave Clark Five, The Ventures, Little Walter, Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff

2009 - Metallica, Jeff Beck, Run-D.M.C., Bobby Womack, D.J. Fontana, Little Anthony and the Imperials, Wanda Jackson, Spooner Oldham, Bill Black

2010 - ABBA, Genesis, The Hollies, Jimmy Cliff, The Stooges, David Geffen, Jesse Stone, Otis Blackwell, Mort Schuman, Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, Ellie Greenwich and Jeff Barry

2011 - Alice Cooper, Neil Diamond, Dr. John, Tom Waits, Darlene Love, Leon Russell, Art Rupe, Jac Holzman

2012 - Guns N' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Small Faces/Faces, Beastie Boys, Donavan, Laura Nyro, Freddie King, The Crickets, The Famous Flames, The Midnighters, The Comets, The Blue Caps, The Miracles, Don Kirshner, Cosimo Matassa, Tom Dowd, Glyn Johns

They've inducted other genres, producers, writers and others from the beginning. It's the way it's always been.

Last edited:
They haven't. Rock & Roll, like it or not, has become a term for music in general.

Rush!!!! About time! :hehe:

Still, this hall needs more ROCK/Alternative... I'd induct:

Metal/Hardrock:

Motörhead
Kiss
Deep purple
Iron maiden
Judas priest
Dio
Glenn Hughes
Gary Moore

Alternative:

Pixies
Kyuss
Pearl jam
Nick Cave & The bad seeds

I don't like Nirvana, but they will surely be inducted in 2014.

I agree with all of them. I'd also include:

Frank Sinatra
Harry Nilsson
Bill Withers
Steppenwolf
The Guess Who
Free
T. Rex
Boston
Kansas
The Commodores
Thin Lizzy