2016 Is Going To Be A Massive Year

People will care about it if the marketing sells it right and the reviews are good/great. JP isn't a dead franchise, it's a dormant one. There's still mass appeal and positive brand recognition. I would consider a franchise like Judge Dredd or Green Lantern to be more along the lines of a "dead" one

If it wasn't enough with Captain America 3 and Batman/Superman scheduled for the same weekend I've also discovered that Finding Dory and How to Train Your Dragon 3 is scheduled for the same weekend in June at the moment, which probably is as unlikely to happen as the potential superhero-battle in May

Iron man 2's numbers vs Iron man 3's numbers says it all to me.

I'm not sure how second to third sequels numbers usually compare with big films, especially when it comes to opening numbers(even Raimi spidey), but IM clearly has a huge jump and it's clearly due to Joss Whedon existing. That doesn't change the reality of what is now, and that is, his films are currently a huge draw.

For now.

While Avegers certainly were one of the reasons for the rising numbers in the box office of Iron Man 3, i think many are also underestimating the power of 3D and IMAX, in least half of the boost was due to that.

I have never seen anything in my lifetime compared to Batmania in '89. Even movies that grossed far more didn't imprint themselves on popular culture or had the merchandising power that that movie did. Only thing close I can remember is Jurassic Park, and oddly enough, Titanic (minus the merchandising part). That was definitely a different era.

Avatar also had much of that power for a while, but not as much in the merchandising department. The Harry Potter books series also had some huge hype and talk back then, some of it was able to go to the movies too.

2016 with Batman vs Superman, X-Men Apocalypse & Amazing Spider-Man 2 beats 2015 with Star Wars VII and Avengers 2, IMO.

No chance.

Star Wars alone makes 2015 bigger. Then Age of Ultron? Come oooonnnnnn lol

Considering Avengers is the #3 movie of all time, I wouldn't underestimate it.

Fair points. I'm interested to see how well TASM2 does financially. And obviously i hope it's better than the first one, which left me underwhelmed.

After reading numerous reviews and comments for TASM2, I've lowered my expectations big time. It's Spider-Man so it should still do really well at the BO but I'm wondering if the general audience is going to like it or not. Depends on how much they liked Batman Forever and Spider-Man 3...according to a lot of people who have seen the movie.

If there's any truth to this rumour there will definitely be a superhero overload in upcoming years:

Nikki Finke, formerly of Deadline has launched her eponymous new site with a bang: the rumored year-to-year line-up for DC Comics based films from 2016 through to early 2018.
While Finke says cautiously that “a lot of stuff remains in flux,” she reveals a seven movie slate for DCE and WB over the course of just two years, beginning in May 2016 and ending in May 2018. That would put DC on a three movies per year pace, a massive leap up from where they’re at currently, with a three-year wait between Man of Steel and the upcoming Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. So what’s beyond Dawn of Justice? Here’s the reported slate:
May 2016 – Batman v Superman
July 2016 – Shazam
Christmas 2016 – Sandman
May 2017 – Justice League
July 2017 – Wonder Woman
Christmas 2017 – Flash/Green Lantern team-up
May 2018 – Man Of Steel 2

I've said it in other threads, I'll repeat it here: I'll believe it when I see it, WB. Especially since that schedule implies they won't do another Batman movie prior to 2019.

Yeah, i'm not sure there's much truth in those rumors, would WB really try releasing 3 superhero films in the same year?

Nah, no way in Hell they'd give Shazam a movie right now. DC likes to keep that character held back & in Superman's shadow so I definitely don't buy that line-up.

And if WB was gunning for three superhero movies in 2016 (which, c'mon, we all know they're not), we'd have some word by now, or at least some credible speculation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"