21 Bridges

Looks pretty good. I was hoping that the movie will bring back the campy elements of the 90s action vehicles but I like what I see.

Chadwick looks great as usual. The hardboiled, tense thriller setting facilitates his acting whereas he wouldn't have looked half as good if I had my way with the tone.

Man this looks surprisingly really solid IMO. Love the cast, and it kind of has that old school, retro, gritty, 90's cop movie feel which is something I definitely wasn't expecting.

I'm always down for these kinds of flicks. Hopefully it's more Pride and Glory than 16 Blocks.

Hmmm. I love Boseman and James and it looks like it's well-acted but I'm a bit burned out on jingoistic police dramas. I don't want to imply that all cops are bad, they're not, but there have been so many obvious murders by police (especially recently) that I don't know if I can sit through another movie that preaches the "All Cops Are Heroes" narrative. I don't know for sure that this film is going that route, but it seems to be; as is typical in movies and in real life, when cops get killed, other cops act like it's the only crime that matters. And I get it; they're your comrades in arms and you want to get the guys that did it. But it also sets a dangerous precedent that forms the "justification" for so many police shootings. If a cop thinks or even suspects his life is in danger, he can shoot a suspect (who is often unarmed and typically a person of color), typically with impunity. And I feel that films like this one could be just reinforce that narrative. Now, I could be wrong here and I hope I am; there are at least hints here that it's not just another "RA RA RA POLICE" movie, but I'm not sure.

Looks great, a real throwback to the 90's action movie, structure of a movie like Speed with the chase thriller vibe of The Fugitive.

Hmmm. I love Boseman and James and it looks like it's well-acted but I'm a bit burned out on jingoistic police dramas. I don't want to imply that all cops are bad, they're not, but there have been so many obvious murders by police (especially recently) that I don't know if I can sit through another movie that preaches the "All Cops Are Heroes" narrative. I don't know for sure that this film is going that route, but it seems to be; as is typical in movies and in real life, when cops get killed, other cops act like it's the only crime that matters. And I get it; they're your comrades in arms and you want to get the guys that did it. But it also sets a dangerous precedent that forms the "justification" for so many police shootings. If a cop thinks or even suspects his life is in danger, he can shoot a suspect (who is often unarmed and typically a person of color), typically with impunity. And I feel that films like this one could be just reinforce that narrative. Now, I could be wrong here and I hope I am; there are at least hints here that it's not just another "RA RA RA POLICE" movie, but I'm not sure.

I don't think so, for starters the cop hero is black, one of the cops killed is black, the shooters are black and white, and the line at the end is "You're the only cop listening before shooting tonight" so I don't think it's going to be tone deaf, however I also don't think it'll be a preachy movie from either side as it's primarily an action thriller, my guess is there'll be police corruption in the mix here as if I recall Chadwick's character has a chequered past.

Looks great, a real throwback to the 90's action movie, structure of a movie like Speed with the chase thriller vibe of The Fugitive.

I don't think so, for starters the cop hero is black, one of the cops killed is black, the shooters are black and white, and the line at the end is "You're the only cop listening before shooting tonight" so I don't think it's going to be tone deaf, however I also don't think it'll be a preachy movie from either side as it's primarily an action thriller, my guess is there'll be police corruption in the mix here as if I recall Chadwick's character has a chequered past.

Yeah, that last line that James gives me some hope that it won't be just another tone deaf cop movie but yeah, it doesn't necessarily need to be preachy either way.

Yeah, that last line that James gives me some hope that it won't be just another tone deaf cop movie but yeah, it doesn't necessarily need to be preachy either way.

I'd personally prefer this to be more about the thriller and action aspects. It's a summer release not Oscar bait so I don't think most movie goers are looking for big social or poltical commentary here, they just want to be entertained.

I see they're capitalizing not just on Chadwick Bosemen's star power, but that of the Russo brothers as well. Makes sense.

Cool trailer.

In addition to JK Simmons who's always great, it also stars talented character actor Keith David. And also Alexander Siddig from DS9! Haven't seen him in anything since Game of Thrones.

Not a film I expected to be at SDCC, I'm really liking the 90's thriller feel of the movie.

So, in possibly the dumbest marketing decision of since whatever Shazam's team was doing, they've moved this to open opposite Frozen 2 and Tom Hanks as Mr. Rogers. Because somebody decided THAT was a good idea....

Seriously, these studios should just hire us. We'd do the job way better than the yahoos they're paying, and probably for half as much.

Neither of those two films are going for the same audience though.

but the release date is suicide.

Not necessarily, it is the eve of Thanksgiving week and folks will want to watch something that's not a kids movie. To me it's got great counterprogramming potential.

Saw this trailer in the cinema and thought it looked really good.

lPCWfm5.jpg

Went and seen this last night. Really good fun detective/action film.

Boseman was really solid as always.
Stephan James was the standout of the movie for me though dude was stealing scenes left and right.
Kitsch played a good dislikeable villain

Only slight let down for me was the ending where it got a little to unbelievable

7/10

I heard they heavily reshot the ending.

I heard they heavily reshot the ending.
Yeah just kind of surprised that's the ending they went with.

Think the guy Stephan James will have a bright future though.

I have no idea. I have yet to see the movie. I just read (and don't remember where, but it wasn't We Got This Covered, don't worry) that the ending was reshot, and that it was one of the reasons for the constant delays. Who knows.

Interesting. What do you think the original ending was?
If I had to guess
They started with the Internal Affairs investigation where Detective Davis says all 8 his killings were justified. I would think that originally he killed a dirty officer instead of taking a prisoner. Or being a one off movie the dirty cops framed and killed Detective Davis, but I haven't seen bad guys win plot in a movie for awhile

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"