Iron Man 5/5/07 - Jon discusses the armor's designers

the reel chris

Iron Man's detailer
Reaction score
Well, at least the Mark III. Stems from a MySpace poster wanting to know to what degree Granov was involved. This is also three posts in a week and it's amazing, and wonderful, he's still giving that group attention.

MySpace

Jon Favreau

The suit was designed by an artist named Phil Saunders who collaborated with Adi Granov based on the comic art of Granov. It evolved over many months and then was brought to Winston Studios to refine the design in order to build it as a working practical costume. Winston modeled and then fabricated the actual suit. It is difficult to identify a single person as the designer because they each contributed to the final design. The EW article correctly stated, however, that the suit was built by Winston. I hope this helps.

The article also credited Winston with the design.

Glad he cleared that up. It's pretty obvious that if it weren't for Adi Granov's original comic design the movie armor would not have looked like it does.

Im confused...so the general consensus on this board was that Winston DESIGNED the suit?

I thought everyone knew that Granov designed it several months ago. Hell, i've got a Marvel Legends Iron Man figure over on my shelf with pretty much the exact same design, and i've had that for about a year or more....

Stan Winston then refined it and brought it to life though.

looks like they put a lot of incredible effort to create something that looks so cool. :):up:

Sounds like it went something like this...

1.Adi Granov designs Iron Man "Extremis" armor for Marvel comics.
2.Jon Favreau signs on to make Iron Man movie, upon seeing Granov's new, more practical take on the Iron Man armor, he hires him to collaborate on the design of the armor that will be used in the film.
3.Phil Saunders is brought on board to collaborate with Granov on armor designs.
4.Final drawn designs done by Granov/Saunders are brought to Stan Winston studios to apply to a practical suit.
5.Winston studios, make their own minor design changes to be able to apply Granov/Saunders concept to fit human physique.
6. Winston studios finalize practical design and build suit.

You just summed up it very well TheBeastWithin.:up:

I assume the lead costume designer Laura Jean Shannon also had a thing or two to do with the suit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"