6 Predictions Relating To CBMs in 2016

Val_Zod

No, I am not Calvin Ellis
Reaction score
What are your predictions relating to comic book movies for 2016, or if you want, CB TV series? Please try and be civil towards each person's predictions. This is just for a little fun, and to see how people's feelings going into next year differ.

Here are my 6 predictions in no particular order

1. Civil War will be considered Marvel's best entry yet, and the Cap franchise will be considered the most complete superhero trilogy since the Dark Knight trilogy.

2. Batman v Superman will be the highest grossing DC based film, both domestically and WW.

3. Suicide Squad will outgross Xmen Apocalypse.

4. FF film rights will be revealed to have reverted back to Marvel.

5. Tom Holland Spidey, Gal Gadot Wonder Woman, and Margot Robbie Harley Quinn are going to be the most discussed "new" characters of next year.

6. The Punisher and Daredevil's confrontation in season 2 of Daredevil will be the best regarded fight of next year.

1. X-Men: Apocalypse or Civil War will be the highest rated CBM of the year

2. Deadpool and Joker are going to be the most discussed "new" characters of next year.

3. Batman v Superman will be the in the top 3 highest grossing DC based films but will be divisive with critics

4. Outside of Joker, Harley and possibly Deadshot Suicide Squad will disappoint in characters.

5. The 'First Class trilogy will be considered the best superhero trilogy since the Dark Knight trilogy as First Class & Days of Future Past are already the best received first two entries in all applicable upcoming trilogies.

6. Harley Quinn will be the most loved female hero/anti-hero of 2016

7. Doctor Strange will be the highest rated Solo Origin of Marvel Studios second only to Iron Man.

Last edited:
1:batman V Superman like man of steel will be divise film
2:Besides Batman and wonder woman the rest of characters In BVS will
disappoint
3:Hugh Jackman will cameo in both deadpool and Apocalypse
4:CIvil war will be highest grossing comic book film of 2016 with 400 million
domesticly
5:Apocalypse will be best reviewed comic book film of 2016
6:Surcide Squad will be better reviewed than Batman V Superman

1) Deadpool outperforms studio expectations. A sequel, "Deadpool and X-Force" is put on the schedule.

2) Superman v Batman has a big opening but a huge drop off in the following week. It finishes its BO run at under $1 billion.

3) CW outperforms its predecessor but is not as highly regarded as WS. Spider-man and Ant Man steal the show.

4) Apocalypse experiences a drop off from its predecessor. FOX seriously considers moving forward with a present day X-Men universe centered around Deadpool, X-Force and New Mutants.

5) Suicide Squad out performs expectations, leading WB to strongly consider dropping its Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg solo features in favor of less expensive films involving its roster of rogues.

6) Feige reveals that the rights to the FF character family reside with Marvel.

Bonus- Disney uses a chunk of its Star Wars cash to buy MGM, and then flips the James Bond rights to Sony in exchange for Spider-Man.

Last edited:
1. BvS will land in the mid-70's on RT and will hit 1.3 billion
2. Civil War will be in the mid-80s on RT and will hit 1.1-1.2 billion
3. Apocalypse will do fine both critically and financially like DOFP; in terms of box office I think it actually could do a little less.
4. Dr. Strange will change the game about as much as Guardians did a few years ago
5. Suicide Squad over performs
6. Talk of superhero fatigue will be at an all time high

1) Civil War will outgross Avengers 2.
2) Deadpool will be the most successful R-rated film around the world and will be labeled as the best comic book movie of all-time.
3) Suicide Squad will August's first film to make a billion worldwide since the trailer is well-received more than the BvS trailers.
4) Dr. Strange will be praised for its visual effects and stellar cast with Rotten Tomatoes ratings in the early 90's.
5) X-Men: Apocalypse will be the first X-MEN film to pass $1B WW.
6) BvS will be criticized for being dark.

1. BvS scores around a 65-70 on RT

2. BvS makes about what the first avengers movie made

3. Captain America 3 makes a little more then the first avengers movie

4. Captain America 3 is consider the best CBM by critics scoring a 92 on RT

5. Xmen makes more then any Xmen movie yet

6. Deadpool makes around 500M WW.

4. Captain America 3 is consider the best CBM by critics scoring a 92 on RT.

It's a good possibility what with the russos but it's got huge competition from X-Men: Apocalypse as twice before Cap has gone up against X-Men movies and both times X-Men was the higher rated.

That being said X-Men Days of Future Past only beat TWS by 2% so that's a minute margin that could easily fluctuate.

Either way I'd bet these two are the two highest rated of the bunch though the new ones such as Deadpool, Doc Strange and Suicide are wildcards

Ok just for fun and based on zero evidence:

1. Civil War will be Cap's first solo outing to cross the $1 billion mark

2. Doctor Strange will be the MCU's best film this year.

3. Spidermans outfit will be the most hotly debated and divisive topic in the CBM world this year.

4. The best performances in a CBM this year will be Oscar Issac, Benedict Cumberbatch and Margot Robbie.

5. Deadpool will finally give redemption to the character and bury the Origins mess once and for all.

6. X-Men Apocalypse is the highest grossing X-Men film to date.

1.) Dr. Strange will be the best CBM of the year
2.) Suicide Squad will be a close second
3.) X-Men Apocalypse will be the worst
4.) CA:CW will be the highest grossing CBM of 2016
5.) The critics however will not like it
6.) BvS:DOJ:ROTJ:WTTFBBQ will actually be liked by hardcore DC fans. the rest of the world will go 'meh'

Totally cheating here
1) TMNT 2 outperforms its predecessor, critically and financially
2) Deadpool will either go down as well as Kingsman or attain cult-status
3) Dr Strange will still be part of the old-guard committee-driven MCU films (great visuals, decent-good moments, lackluster practically everything else)
4) Suicide Squad will be well-received; WB considers a sequel or fast-tracks that Batman solo
5) X-men Apocalypse will be well-received; may outperform DOFP
6) Captain America: Civil War will be well-received; will be the best Avengers movie to date

No CBM will come close to the records Star Wars has set for opening day and weekend, ultimately leading to each studio regarding the films as underwhelming regardless of actual box office receipts much like this years Age of Ultron.

Here are my six predictions for the six major comic book movie releases next year:

1. Deadpool's opening weekend will be crippled by Zoolander 2 opening on the same day, but it will be a modest hit and will be one of the better received superhero films from Fox.

2. Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice will break The Hunger Games's March record with a $175 million OW. It will also be much better received critically than Man of Steel was.

3. Captain America: Civil War will be better received critically than Age of Ultron, but it won't make as much worldwide.

4. X-Men: Apocalypse won't make as much as Days of Future Past but will still be successful. It will have a mixed reaction from fans due to there not being enough of a focus on certain characters, much like complaints for other films in the X-franchise.

5. Suicide Squad won't be as successful as Batman v. Superman but it will be the more entertaining DC film this year.

6. Doctor Strange will be a modest hit like Ant-Man, but it will also be the best-reviewed comic book movie of 2016.

The only ones I'm fairly certain of are my BvS predictions and the critic consensus for Civil War. Everything else is more or less a shot in the dark.

Gonna play it safe with some of my predictions:

1) Dawn of Justice and Civil War will both clear a billion at the B.O.

2) Dawn of Justice will be critically better received than Man of Steel.

3) Suicide Squad will be the best-reviewed CBM of the year.

4) Leto's Joker will be the best-received villain of the year.

5) Affleck's Bruce Wayne/Batman will be the best-received hero of the year.

It's a good possibility what with the russos but it's got huge competition from X-Men: Apocalypse as twice before Cap has gone up against X-Men movies and both times X-Men was the higher rated.

That being said X-Men Days of Future Past only beat TWS by 2% so that's a minute margin that could easily fluctuate.

Either way I'd bet these two are the two highest rated of the bunch though the new ones such as Deadpool, Doc Strange and Suicide are wildcards

Yeah that's true. Civil war and X-men are by far my top 2 most hyped CBM of 2016 though and captain America 2 and Xmen DOFP and first class all 3 of those movies are in my top 10 CBM of all time. Superman Vs Batman I think will be consider better then man of steel but not great like around a 65 RT and there are a lot of things that worry me about that one.

1) Storm, Wonder Woman, and Harley Quinn will be fan favourites that start to change the male dominated genre.

2) Doctor Strange makes less money than Ant Man.

3) Civil War gets a slightly lower RT score than Winter Soldier for being overcrowded.

4) Apocalypse proves the OT cast wasn't the main draw for DOFP.

5) Fans love the first two acts of BvS, but are divided over the last act.

6) The studio wars remain as obnoxious as ever.

Last edited:
- Captain America: Civil War is well-received by both critics and fans alike. However, TWS is seen as the superior film. Regardless, it is Cap's highest grossing solo film, crossing the billion dollar line, but falling just short of AOU's numbers.

- Batman vs. Superman: DOJ makes more money than CACW, but reaction to the film is mixed.

- Deadpool is well-received and is a modest hit.

- Dr. Strange and Suicide Squad are the breakouts of the year.

- X-Men: Apocalypse fails to expand the X-Men franchise's clout at the box office.

- It is announced that the Fantastic Four film rights have returned to Marvel, and that they are developing a new film for Phase IV.

1) Civil War will join the billion $ club AND be the highest grossing of the 2 MCU films of the year.

2)BvS will be Snyder's highest grossing pic to date and have a higher RT score than MoS.

3)Doctor Strange will be a critical and box office success.

4)Deadpool will make about Fantastic Four(2005) numbers DOM and Batman Begins numbers WW.

5)X-Men: Apocalypse won't join the billion $ club but will still be very successful like DoFP before it.

6)Suicide Squad's success will largely pass or fail depending on how they pull off the Joker.

1) Both BvS and Civil War will make a billion dollars. People will argue about which is better for the rest of the year.

2) Apocolypse will make a small improvement at the Box Office over DOFP, but not pass one billion. It will receive glowing praise for about a month, before everyone decides they hate Bryan Singer again.

3) Suicide Squad will be a sleeper hit, everyone will forget they hated Leto's Joker but still respond in the same way next time a similar reveal is made.

4) Deadpool will be the highest grossing R-rated movie of the year, but people will still hate Ryan Reynolds.

5) Dr. Strange will be groundbreaking much in the way GOTG was, and will finally push Warner Brothers to greenlight Justice League Dark. It will also gift a racist Twitter account with 5 minutes of fame after they find out about Mordo being race-swapped.

6) Everyone will keep talking about superhero fatigue setting in "any time now", despite there being no actual signs of any decline.

---And a bonus round for the F4 rights officially returning to Marvel.

1) After BvS audiences will get excited for the DCEU.

2) Lex and the Joker will be considered two of the best CBM villains in recent years.

3) Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn will show studios that audiences are ready for a female led CBM. There will be talk about moving Captain Marvel up and a Harley Quinn solo.

4) After CW audiences will be willing to take a break from Cap/Iron Man and will be ready for Marvel's other heroes like Black Panther and Doctor Strange.

5) Deadpool's run and reaction will mirror Dredd's run and reaction.

6) The relationship between Marvel's film division and television division will drift further apart.

5) Deadpool's run and reaction will mirror Dredd's run and reaction.
Harsh.
Dredd might have fared better if it was even half as well marketed as Deadpool.

1. BvS makes the most money of the year.
2. Civil War comes in 2nd, but gets negative feedback for being too similar to other Avengers movies.
3. Suicide Squad AND Dr. Strange each make more than Deadpool.
4. X-Men Apocolypse will be a fine movie that is otherwise drowned out by the other movies of the year. Makes okay money, has a decent critical reception, but otherwise goes by relatively unnoticed.
5. Batfleck will forever be known as "THE Batman/Bruce Wayne on film".
6. Dr. Strange gets best Rotten Tomato score of the bunch.

1) After BvS audiences will get excited for the DCEU.

2) Lex and the Joker will be considered two of the best CBM villains in recent years.

3) Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn will show studios that audiences are ready for a female led CBM. There will be talk about moving Captain Marvel up and a Harley Quinn solo.

4) After CW audiences will be willing to take a break from Cap/Iron Man and will be ready for Marvel's other heroes like Black Panther and Doctor Strange.

Hopefully Zach Snyder learned from his mistakes in MOS. If not, BvS won't be that good. It won't be a flop, not even close.

Jesse Eisenberg looks goofy as hell as Lex. I'm not buying it.

Hopefully Wonder Woman is awesome. She looked badass in the last trailer, but I still have concerns whether Gal Gadot can actually carry the role. So much yes to Captain Marvel getting pushed up back to her original July 6 2018release date. Maybe if Feige is so impressed with the script, he may even bump her movie back. Although, I'd rather have Marvel take time to get the character right and make her film perfect.

DISCLAIMER:

Okay, before I start, let me just say these are my OPINIONS, they won't be popular, and if you disagree that's cool - just don't get personal or abusive about it. It is possible to say " I strongly disagree with you..." in a polite fashion, even while thinking I'm a moron.

So, I've got 7 predictions. Sorry to be the voice of doom and gloom, but I think this year will be a tough one for the superhero genre.
I think that genre fatigue will really start to set in - I mean, I grew up loving Superheroes and still do, but I can't be ****ing bothered going to see all the movies coming out, there's just too many too soon.

Now I don't agree with Spielberg that the superhero cbm is doomed, but I think that general audiences will become less interested as the studios kick out so many of the damn things (and going to the movies is ****ing expensive). No matter what the real fans, and that means everyone on this website, will go see these films, but what about the rest of the world ?

Michael Bay cranks out one really **** Transformers film every other year or so, gets absolutely panned on RT but makes a ****-ton of money at the box office. However, he isn't competing with a bunch of other giant robot movies, so he's just about got the sub-genre to himself, he's the only game in town.
As a genre, superhero movies are over-represented, they're saturating the market, and that usually leads to a decline in demand.

PREDICTIONS

1. B v S does better with critics than Man of Steel, but still doesn't crack 85% on RT, maybe 82% tops. By getting in first (well, before CW and XMA at least and let's face it, the general audience for Deadpool is different than that for B v S) it manages to captilize on there not being a Superman or Batman film for several years (and interest in the first big screen appearance of the two heroes together plus Wonder Woman) and avoid the worst of superhero fatigue. It will make the most money, and sell the most toys. Will it have a tight nuanced plot, like CW will.....no, but who cares? You don't go to see a film called "Batman v Superman" because you really give a **** about an intricate or carefully crafted story.

2. Civil War doesn't live up to expectations, while it is raved about by fans the general audience find it about as engaging as Age of Ultron (which was a good film, but not quite as good as Avengers). Still a strong performance at the box office, but a few critics start asking tough questions of Cap, like how he can fight Iron man, who went toe to toe with Thor ? (meanwhile audiences ask where IS Thor....and while we're at it where's the Hulk ? Are we really that excited about seeing more of the Vision and Ant Man ?) Despite striking gold with Winter Soldier, will the writers/director be able to pull it off again in a film which looks to have a lot less intrigue than TWS ? I'm thinking....no. Particularly in a film that looks pretty crowded in terms of characters.

3. Suicide Squad is also a great looking, weird, but underwhelming film that doesn't live up to the hype - and Will Smith overdoes it (anyone noticed that his last few films have not done that well, he hasn't cracked 70% on RT since I am Legend, although at least he hasn't brought his son along for this film, whew !). Suddenly audiences also realise that with her clothes on Margot Robbie isn't that good an actress.
In terms of films about B and C list characters (which is what this really is)
Guardians of the Galaxy was pure off-beat gold for Marvel, but had a better cast overall.....and they were the good guys, rough around the edges yes, but SS is about a bunch of murdering psychopaths with too many tattoos and bad skin conditions, I can't see it having the same charm that made GOTG such a fun watch.
I love DC's dark, gritty feel, but I think SS will take it too far. I do think that Cara Delvingne will come out looking better than anyone else.

4. Deadpool ,although it will get in first will underperform, audiences will be turned off by Reynolds being too OTT, and negative word of mouth will mean that the film makes some money but doesn't catapult the character into the same league as Spider Man. Hard core Deadpool fans will love it, but general audiences will pass. At worst it will end up being a slightly quirky generic action film.

5. Superhero fatigue will really hurt Doctor Strange, which will underperform despite amazing performances by Cumberbatch, Swinton and Ejiofor, which leaves studio execs scratching their heads about the wisdom of cranking out ****-loads of superhero movies year after year. Critics, having now seen a ****-ton of origin films and will turn a bit nasty over minor points they ignored in cbm films that were made 5 or more years ago. Dr Strange's big problem is that its a redemption story about an arrogant genius who gets a second chance (hmmmm..... sound familiar anyone ) it's ground that's been well-traversed.
Also, Cumberbatch himself, while a delight to watch has been doing arrogant genius a bit too much over the past few years ( Into Darkness, Enigma, Sherlock) and is risking extra critical ire, regarding typecasting and being called " Sherlock Potter and the Evil origin story" or something like that.

The other big problem is the director- I mean, what has this guy done that wowed us.....nothing ! The Day the Earth Stood Still (the Keanu Reeves version).
I think Dr Strange would have had a chance if they'd put a really solid directo in charge....hell, put Guillermo Del Toro in there and you might have something, but Scott Derrickson ? Really ?

6. It will be comparison time for Affleck to Bale and Leto to Ledger. I suspect that Affleck will come off looking good (critics are fickle, and too many people bang on about Bale's bat-voice being bad). Some might even say he's the definitive Batman (again, so fickle) on the other hand Leto will get props for doing something stylisitically different, but won't hold up against Ledger).

7. X-Men Apocalypse will also suffer from superhero fatigue - too many superhero blockbusters in one year guys, and too close together. It follows close on the heels of Civil War, too close (CW will still be in cinemas). If people are having to choose which to see they will probably go with Cap and co, although Apocalypse will probably be more visually stunning - and has a better cast ( Fassbender, Macavoy and Lawrence, just for starters) than CW or B v S.

Everyone raves about Oscar Isaac, but does he have the chops to pull off such an iconic x-villain, possibly the best other than Magneto (who's also in the film, damn !) ? I mean, he was okay for all ten of the minutes he was in TFA, but can he do Apocalypse, a guy who's as old as the pyramids and has to feel like he was meant to rule the Earth ? hmmmm......

Anyway, XMA will end up being a well-received (because critics **** ing love Bryan Singer ) film but not be as successful as it could have been, due to external factors.

Okay, that's my set of predictions. I'm sure some of you out there are gnashing your teeth and burning me in effigy at this moment, but hey, if you disagree I respect your opinion.

Cheers. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"