78,000 People to live on Mars

NickNitro

Extra Terrestrial
Reaction score
Courtesy of the Dutch 2022

In late April, a Dutch company called Mars One began looking for volunteer astronauts to fly to Mars. Departure for the Red Planet is scheduled for 2022, landing seven months later in 2023.
Since the application process began, about 78,000 people, including 17,000 Americans, have applied via video.
The space travelers will return … never. They will finish out their lives on Mars, representatives from the nonprofit said.

http://kdvr.com/2013/05/10/78000-to-live-on-mars-courtesy-of-the-dutch-in-2022-video/
http://science.nbcnews.com/_news/20...y-to-leave-earth-forever-to-live-on-mars?lite

Last edited:
I wonder will they have an internet connection to get news from Earth and how will they spend their time? It's weird taking a trip like this and knowing you will never come back.

Ha. We're going to go colonize another planet, but there's just no way possible that "aliens" could come to our planet :dry: It has begun....

This is immediately what I thought of

936full-ghosts-of-mars-screenshot.jpg

Yeah, that seems a little iffy. I'd always want the option to leave.

How NUTS is this though honestly. We put a man on the moon in the 60's....now we have a legit company who is willing to affordably fly people to Mars to live for the rest of their lives.

If this happens in 2023 - 10 years from now.....we can honestly say that we lived in an age where man first colonized other planets. Our generation will go down in the history books for the rest of time for this.

All jokes aside, this is truly amazing.

How NUTS is this though honestly. We put a man on the moon in the 60's....now we have a legit company who is willing to affordably fly people to Mars to live for the rest of their lives.

If this happens in 2023 - 10 years from now.....we can honestly say that we lived in an age where man first colonized other planets. Our generation will go down in the history books for the rest of time for this.

All jokes aside, this is truly amazing.

Yeah but I wonder what implications will this colonization have for the Earth population. Will the rich and famous sometime move to Mars not giving a f*** and then the Earth is neglected and left to die from pollution, wars, diseases etc?

Last edited:
Its literally the start of the plot to the movie Elysium.

The rich live in an orbital ring above Earth while the poor are left to fend for themselves on a destroyed, ruined planet Earth.

Its literally the start of the plot to the movie Elysium.

The rich live in an orbital ring above Earth while the poor are left to fend for themselves on a destroyed, ruined planet Earth.

That's what concerns me about this whole talk. I mean why exactly rush to go that far into another planet and never return again? Isn't Earth worth of fixing the mess we done already? I bet if people carry the same mentality over on Mars then there would be the same problems we face here and they would damage another planet too.

They may just see themselves as Pioneers. The new age Vikings. Their names will go down in history books for years to come if this happens.

Can you put a price on becoming immortalized?

Probably they wont use any monetary system. The food will be plant based grown in huge green farming systems not consisting meat & dairy and most of the heavy work will be automated and everything will be recycled. Things that should be already happening in Earth. That might be a start for a better civilization on Mars.

Last edited:
Haha, they're gonna barter. Two rocks for one bushel of Martian greens.

Probably they wont use any monetary system. The food will be plant based grown in huge green farming systems not consisting meat & dairy and most of the heavy work will be automated and everything will be recycled. Things that should be already happening in Earth. That might be a start for a better civilization on Mars.

Haha, they're gonna barter. Two rocks for one bushel of Martian greens.

I'm sure this Dutch company would have in plan means to send meat to their Civilians on Mars. Be it drop ships/ care packages/etc. Humans can't just live on greens. We need protein in our diet.

With that said......the ruination of all of this will be if McDonalds makes a ship to send drop ships. You know they'll think about it :whatever:

The biggest risk factor would be the Earth just stopping the supply chain due to economic recession.

You know that's going to be considered, letting the Martian colonist starve to death because we can't afford it anymore. I can almost hear the arguments on both sides now.

The biggest risk factor would be the Earth just stopping the supply chain due to economic recession.

You know that's going to be considered, letting the Martian colonist starve to death because we can't afford it anymore. I can almost hear the arguments on both sides now.

And again....

johncarpenterhm.jpg

You know this would totally happen!

I'm sure this Dutch company would have in plan means to send meat to their Civilians on Mars. Be it drop ships/ care packages/etc. Humans can't just live on greens. We need protein in our diet.

With that said......the ruination of all of this will be if McDonalds makes a ship to send drop ships. You know they'll think about it :whatever:

How practical would that be given the huge distances in between? I don't think it is financially wise or possible to do a routine meat drop with ships every 6 months. And the quantity wouldn't be enough each time. If you see some of space nutrition designs they always consist of green farming systems that provide the crew all the necessary vegetarian food. There's never a talk or place for meat because it is unnecessary for the survival of the crew and not practical to provide.

Actually there are many people throughout the world, even famous athletes that live perfectly healthy without any meat in their diet, since plants have protein too.

Last edited:
This makes me wonder why we dont have people living on the moon, when it's even closer than Mars. You'd think people would want to get that done first before moving even further away.

My one hope is that we dont start colonizing other planets with our current predator mentality. One can only hope that those that do go to Mars take care in not harming it like we have earth.

Ha. We're going to go colonize another planet, but there's just no way possible that "aliens" could come to our planet :dry: It has begun....
lol :up:

The title should read "78,000 People want to live on Mars."

They better select an equal number from each sex. Because if there's only one woman in the group who can never return home. Oh ****.

Also, being there forever with no way home is an overstatement. The technology will be there in 40-60 years. So just hold on to dear life. We'll come and get you in 40-60 years.

Last edited:
This makes me wonder why we dont have people living on the moon, when it's even closer than Mars. You'd think people would want to get that done first before moving even further away.

My one hope is that we dont start colonizing other planets with our current predator mentality. One can only hope that those that do go to Mars take care in not harming it like we have earth.
:up:

For hundreds of years people have travelled to far away lands with little to no expectation of return.....and facing enormous chances of death from the trip or what they find at the destination. The people wanting to go to Mars are just a continuation of this exploring nature.

They'll be permanent settlements someday. But going to Mars is far different than any other exploration in human history. At this point I don't see how these people can go and not want to return at some point.

Last edited:
Maybe all 78,000 people are 50-55 now....by that time they'd only have a few years to live anyway :D

Pretty much what I'm saying is, we've moved our retirement home's to Mars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"