78,000 People to live on Mars

For hundreds of years people have travelled to far away lands with little to no expectation of return.....and facing enormous chances of death from the trip or what they find at the destination. The people wanting to go to Mars are just a continuation of this exploring nature.

We were hunters and foragers, the frontier was everywhere. We were bounded only by the earth, and the ocean, and the sky. The open road still softly calls. Our terraqueous globe is the madhouse of those hundred, thousand, million worlds.

- Carl Sagan

This will never happen for another 100 plus years. You need to set up some kind of ecosystem before you put people there permanently. Such an ecosystem won't be in place for another century. It will be a joint collaboration between world governments to select only the most specialized people in the world to begin the process, and many more missions will ensue before permanent settlements are established. No private company is going to put people there permanently in 2023. Hell, they wouldn't even be able to get their ship off the ground even if they had the funding. No one would authorize such a launch. The craft probably has to be built in space anyhow.

Last edited:
I immediately thought of the body condoms in Naked Gun

full_body_condom_naked_gun.jpg

This will never happen for another 100 plus years. You need to set up some kind of ecosystem before you put people there permanently. Such an ecosystem won't be in place for another century. It will be a joint collaboration between world governments to select only the most specialized people in the world to begin the process, and many more missions will ensue before permanent settlements are established. No private company is going to put people there permanently in 2023. Hell, they wouldn't even be able to get their ship off the ground even if they had the funding. No one would authorize such a launch. The craft probably has to be built in space anyhow.

Good points. I was also wondering is there a chance that this is just a money grab scheme? I just signed up and I got a 24 usd charge to procceed. What if they abandon all this idea and people wont get refunded.

Its all private funding I believe though, so I am not surprised you have to pay. They mentioned in the article they need to make sure they have all the money it would cost as well to go through with this as well.

I just really can't imagine they'd be willing to take anyone out there. As I said before, you'd need to have people that could handle having to fix any of their tech if it goes wrong, if there's a problem with the life support etc. etc.

At the very least, I'd imagine the first four people out there would need to be highly trained in that sort of thing to make sure all the facilities keep running. Then you can start bringing others in.

That's the only thing that has me skeptical on this. I mean, maybe they're that confident in their technology, but still, it would seem like a pretty obvious risk to send the first few people out there if they were completely incapable of dealing with problems arising with their tech.

Honestly, joking aside, the first colonists are going to have a hard time. As exciting as space travel sounds, when you really think on it...it's not an enviable position to be in. I doubt they'll let you freely rocket back to Earth if you decide it's not for you.

Remember, there's not going to be a city, internet, stores, ect. Since the atmosphere is unlivable, and supplies wont' last forever. Chances are you're going to be living in a giant dome with poor sunlight in most areas. You'll have to live one what you plant and grow (chances are no meat outside of what canned goods you bring with you). It's going to be a small population, so you're getting tired, or annoyed at someone could make life difficult. There's probably also going to be a lot of manual labor. Living in an inhospitable wastelands going to require a lot of work to make it livable.

Then there's the view. Looking at the stars will probably be the same as Earth. Past that though, everything will be red, no trees, lakes, ect. I'd imagine if you're going to go up there to live, it's going to be because you genuinely want to make an impact on history, and help colonize a planet. If you're doing it just because you think space is exciting, chances are you're going to get there, and regret it half a year later.

Not trying to be a downer, it's just that something like that is very life altering. People don't always think past the romantic idealization of what they think it will be, compared to the reality of it.

I doubt these people don't know what they are getting themselves into. It might be really depressing , but they should be alright if they focus on the "big picture".

After these first settlers leave their mark, the 2nd and 3rd generations will be building underground installations where most of them will live to escape the solar radiation.

The problem is, the next generations living there, we really don't know what will happen to them biologically, their physical structures might change, their bones becoming weaker, their metabolic systems could be effected, including their immunities. They might not be able to ever to see their own homeland again until they can find a way to mimic the gravity on Earth.

If they can't truly mimic the physical properties of Earth, given enough time, they might diverge into an entirely new species.

Too bad we won't meet a friendly face like this one
2816369-mmh.jpg
As I said on different boards, I'm attached to Earth, sacred lands attachment
And here are the questions I have when it comes to travelling to Mars:
1. A lot of people are attached to what I said, sacred lands, how many of those will ignore this and accept travelling to Mars? And what will they do if they try to pray?
2. How will they agree on laws there? People will lose their marbles before being law obedient
3. What assurance is there it will have habitable atmosphere by then?
4. How large do they plan to make their vessels? And what will they use for fuel? The trip will be very very long, and we saw what they need to travel basically to the moon, eats too much fuel. Did they ensure a different kind of energy supplement to travel, it needs to be cheap, and lasts very long
5. Supplies; food, drink, maintenance (even with their trips to the moon, something could go amiss), medical supply, air supply, etc...? How long will these last? How many people will die on the way? They can't depend on oxygen tanks after they run out of their main supply all the time, no guarantee it will last them in one go
6. What about the vessels? They stay there as well?
7. Wonder if they considered building transmat devices to link between Mars and Moon to ease future trips, of course they make sure it won't split anyone on the first go
Too risky, I for one, will pass this opportunity

The Frontier Is Everywhere - Carl Sagan

[YT]oY59wZdCDo0[/YT]

After these first settlers leave their mark, the 2nd and 3rd generations will be building underground installations where most of them will live to escape the solar radiation.

The problem is, the next generations living there, we really don't know what will happen to them biologically, their physical structures might change, their bones becoming weaker, their metabolic systems could be effected, including their immunities. They might not be able to ever to see their own homeland again until they can find a way to mimic the gravity on Earth.

If they can't truly mimic the physical properties of Earth, given enough time, they might diverge into an entirely new species.

It's odd to think of reality following after a sci-fi story, but that makes sense. In Mass Effect (video game), an alien race lost their home planet. So they end up living in sterilized space ships. They basically lose their immune systems, and have to live in protective suits. A slight infection could be life threatening.

It's reasonable to think that after a few generations of living on Mars, humans would have to take extra precautions just visiting Earth. Your body won't have experienced, and built up anti-bodies to several common diseases. Just looks at what happened when explorers in history unknowingly brought new disease to other continents, the the death it caused for the native populations. Just that, in reverse.

I doubt these people don't know what they are getting themselves into. It might be really depressing , but they should be alright if they focus on the "big picture".

As someone else said, the 100-200 who get hand selected for having superior skills in various areas needed to develop a sustainable habitat, sure. I was more speaking to the people who see, "78,000 to live on Mars", and rush to sign up. Or the rich who think it will be like a summer home get away they can brag about to their other friends.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with dreaming about going to space. If you grew up as a kid reading sci-fi stories, and wanting this so bad...I can't blame anyone for that. If you have the determination to follow that through, more power to you. I just meant that realistically, and lot of ppl seeing this story, and wanting to sign up for spots don't realize how hard of a life it will be.

As someone else said, the 100-200 who get hand selected for having superior skills in various areas needed to develop a sustainable habitat, sure. I was more speaking to the people who see, "78,000 to live on Mars", and rush to sign up. Or the rich who think it will be like a summer home get away they can brag about to their other friends.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with dreaming about going to space. If you grew up as a kid reading sci-fi stories, and wanting this so bad...I can't blame anyone for that. If you have the determination to follow that through, more power to you. I just meant that realistically, and lot of ppl seeing this story, and wanting to sign up for spots don't realize how hard of a life it will be.

I'd probably be one of those enthusiastic people at the seminar who got up and left once they said "no return home".

I'd probably be one of those enthusiastic people at the seminar who got up and left once they said "no return home".

Heh, just think of how much it would cost to chip in on gas for the trip back to Earth :woot:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"