The Last Jedi A Dark Side Rey theory

I'd love if it was Kylo who ended up saving Rey. That's be a nice twist on the redemption arc we all know is coming. Or they could end the trilogy totally dark and have Rey fall to the Dark Side entirely.

But that's already been done.

I don't fear Rey being a villain. I just understand how ridiculous the idea is considering the first. Where JJ made it clear. The Force awakens in two people. Rey and Kylo. The light and the dark. Rey represents the light side of the Force in the new trilogy. Her being evil goes against that.

And yes, it is obvious. I am sick of all this BS reasoning for why we need to ditch the female lead hero. It isn't interesting, it isn't a good idea, and yes the majority of it springs from sexism.

By the way, JJ and those involved with the actual canon realize that there is no redemption in the Dark Side. It is evil.

Except in the REAL canon, the films, there IS redemption from the Dark Side. Also, saying that wanting her to turn bad is sexism? That's one of the more ridiculous things I've ever heard. Have we ever seen Abrams say that she represents the light, or did we just assume? Because the only real "awakenings" we see in the film are her using the Force out of anger for a while to attack Kylo, and with Kylo after he kills Han he seems shaken and full of doubt.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that this is what they are setting up. Either way (fall or resisting the Dark Side) it has been done before. But turning the tables and having Kylo save her or have her kill Kylo would be fresh.

Not that I want to take part in the rest of the conversation, but as of the Disney sale, everything that's canon is also REAL canon.

"Different" doesn't also equal "good." Yeah the likeable heroine going bad and then the psychotic mass-murdering father killer who sticks his helmet in the ashes of his victims when he's not wearing it, and who kidnapped and tortured her in the first film, and who killed her surrogate father-figure/maimed her best friend right in front of her, would be "different." It'd also be a TERRIBLE idea and send all the wrong messages. It'd feel like doing a twist, just for a sake of doing a twist (or because some in fandom are obsessed with the idea that a story cannot be compelling without one), which is NOT good writing.

"Different" doesn't also equal "good." Yeah the likeable heroine going bad and then the psychotic mass-murdering father killer who sticks his helmet in the ashes of his victims when he's not wearing it, and who kidnapped and tortured her in the first film, and who killed her surrogate father-figure/maimed her best friend right in front of her, would be "different." It'd also be a TERRIBLE idea and send all the wrong messages. It'd feel like doing a twist, just for a sake of doing a twist (or because some in fandom are obsessed with the idea that a story cannot be compelling without one), which is NOT good writing.

Have you seen Star Wars yet? Like...any of them? Vader was worse than Kylo and he was redeemed. A redemption arc doesn't mean he lives forever after happily and free. It just means he lets the light back in and does something good. He can still die or wind up in prison for life.

Edit: I shouldn't say Vader is worse, but he's definitely guilty of the same crimes.

Last edited:
With another female lead protagonist in Rogue One, i feel like the potential for Rey turning to the dark side without pissing off too many people is marginally increased. Now she's not "the only female lead protagonist in a star wars film." So there is less pressure on her character to stay a role model.

A long time ago (last week I think) In a galaxy far, far way(@PinewoodStudios ) THIS happened! Happy Birthday Daisy!

CftA6fSWIAAMBKE.jpg

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/719240004019568640

Luke shouldn't always have failed apprentices. Back in 2013 I was already annoyed enough about the storyline of a Skywalker going dark...again.

Last edited:
Dark side theories are fun reads (I'll admit to reading fan fiction centered around them occasionally) but Rey won't go to the dark side, IMO. Kylo has a bigger chance of coming back to the light than she does going full dark.

It's interesting idea, but overall people would cry sexism as you'd be replacing the positive female protagonist and making a man the hero instead.

^Also a valid point, because you know there would be lots of complaints about that.

I just want more Rey/Kylo scenes, whatever they may be.

1 out of every 1000 is 7,500,000 people. If its 2 out of every thousand then its 15,000,000. Thats a lot of people that know who asajj is.

I doubt its that many people. But we can be sure that millions watched the Clone Wars.

I really think around 95 percent of the audience would probably never have heard of Ventress. Of my core 10 friends, all of us die hard Star Wars geeks ,I'm the only one who watched any of the cartoons and none of us have interest in reading any of the books.

It's interesting idea, but overall people would cry sexism as you'd be replacing the positive female protagonist and making a man the hero instead.
Wasn't the studio looking to cast a new "female lead" for VIII?

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/st...ll-play-a-big-role-in-star-wars-episode-viii/
This weekend's Star Wars Celebration has revealed several secrets about the upcoming films in the franchise, including the fact that Alden Ehrenreich has been cast as the young Han Solo in his own spin-off film.

And another has been let out of the bag, as it's been confirmed that newcomer to Episode VIII, Kelly Marie Tran, has a very big role in the film.

Actor John Boyega, who plays former stormtrooper-turned-hero Finn, previously referred to Tran as "the new lead".

And director Rian Johnson has now said that she does indeed play a significant role, adding: "I am so excited for you to meet Kelly. She's really something special."
[YT]AmnsN8tGUa4[/YT]

Last edited:
Yes and Lando was a new male lead for Empire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"