Adult gamers are "weird" says Today Show hosts.

socool

True
Reaction score
"Do you think it's okay for men to play video games in their 30s and over?" Asked one of the announcers, unable to get through the question without breaking into laughter.

Kathie Lee Gifford didn't wait to weigh in with her opinion, proudly proclaiming "No, that's weird. Xbox."

"The answer is no," added some guy named Donny Deutsch, who Wikipedia says is a "TV personality." "When you're in your thirties, there should be something more on your mind or attention than video games."
After agreeing that it's okay for parents to play games with their kids, Hoda Kotb provided the last glimmering insight, stating that the question is only referring to "those weird ones in the basement."

We could, as GameSetWatch pointed out, respond to their criticisms with the fact that the average gamer is now 37, that women make up 42% of gamers, and that a whopping 29% of gamers are now over the age of 50 - which by the Today Show's standards would make them really weird. But I'm alright with this trio's unduly harsh judgment, because honestly, I can't think of anything weirder than listening to what a bunch morning talk show hosts blab about in-between commercials for reality shows and soap ope

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/07/11/today-show-thinks-adult-gamers-are-weird.aspx

1) They should do some research during the screening process of these questions so dumb answers like these don't get aired.

2) "They should have something better to do." Really? I've seen this show and all they do is drink wine and spurt garbage. There must be something better to do at 7 AM...

3) *******s...

Their definitions of a 'video game' is most likely limited to Pac-Man, Tetris, or at best, Mario. "No, that's weird. Xbox." That's a response? That pretty much sums it up.:huh::doh:

Older generations are ignorant to what video games have become. I hate to sound like some teenager who just saw Fight Club for the first time, or something, but it's true. They will never understand, and that's fine.

When we're in our 50's and 60's, gaming will be considered another form of entertainment. You don't stop watching movies because you're old, right? There are children's films, and there are adult dramas, with a wide variety in between. Same with games. :up:

Also, the Today Show? Really?

As the women on IGN's Girlfight podcast keep repeating with reat glee every few episodes, the average age of gamers is about 30 these days. These are the same people that have grown up with gaming all their lifes and it never goes away.

Playing a computer game it just as good as watching TV only we have actual controle over the way the game plays out. We aren't randomly shouting at the TV to get football players to pass, we press buttons and actually make the players pass.

So reading the Game Informer article:
a whopping 29% of gamers are now over the age of 50

Nuts. Didn't know that. I can't imagine when Halo/CoD fanboys grow old. Heh, that should be interesting.

When we're in our 50's and 60's, gaming will be considered another form of entertainment.

This right here.

All of this kind of ignorant nonsense will go away once these older folks die off and our generation replaces them. Although we'll probably end up being just as dismissive of some new form of entertainment. :dry:

This right here.

All of this kind of ignorant nonsense will go away once these older folks die off and our generation replaces them. Although we'll probably end up being just as dismissive of some new form of entertainment. :dry:
We probably won't be dismissive of anything till our grandkids genaration and then only if we live long enough.

We might be dismissive of the new music but that's a different story.

This right here.

THESE DAMN HOLODECKS ARE CORRUPTIN' OUR GENERATIONS YOUTH. :cmad:

This right here.

We already kind of are...

"I remember when we played video games with our HANDS!" Or.. "I don't want to stand up and flail my limbs around.. I want to set and play."

Not really the same... But still.

You cant blame anyone from later generations for thinking that way. Earlier video games were for kids. Its only recently that games are being looked at as something more than just mindless fun and hell they still have a LONG way to go before we can start comparing them to something along the lines of Citizen Kane.

The only ignorance in any of this is people thinking a past generation needs to think the way the current generation does.

What they're getting at is that most 30 year olds probably have a family and job to take up their time and shouldn't be wasting it on video games. I agree that in my 30s I probably won't be playing much because of this. Those in their 30s who play a ton of video games do not fit the social stereotype these kinds of people prefer. Who cares what they think?

You cant blame anyone from later generations for thinking that way. Earlier video games were for kids. Its only recently that games are being looked at as something more than just mindless fun and hell they still have a LONG way to go before we can start comparing them to something along the lines of Citizen Kane.

The only ignorance in any of this is people thinking a past generation needs to think the way the current generation does.

There's definitely ignorance in this beyond that. In that justification you gave, the true ignorance is both in the ignorance of change and the ignorance of acceptance of art forms. Just because they are older doesn't excuse that. If they can't develop and look at things critically with the times, then they deserve all the crap they get. Just like those of us who dismiss whatever art form will emerge purely based on what it was in our time will deserve all the crap the next generation gives out.

Kathie Lee Gifford is nothing but an annoying, ****ty, drunken ***** who talked **** about The Dark Knight back in '08.

And this Donny *****e should shut up as well, whoever the eff that guy is.

So, if you're in your 30's it's only ok to play video games if it's with your kids? Video games are just another form of "escapism" or unwinding, my girlfriend watches a bunch of those crappy reality TV programs, it's her way of unwinding, video games are mine. If I had kids, I'd definitely be playing with them, but that's not where my life is right now.

Kathie Lee Gifford is the one women I never cared for and I could go into a thousand words to describe her but thats for another thread. I dont care how old you are, if you enjoy something and it helps you mentally take the edge off of a hard day at work then do it and screw what others think. What people like these illinformed "TV Personalities" seemed to forget just how much money a year the industry generates or the games with amazing story telling. I use to like wrestling and think its ******ed now but there are guys well into the 30's and older who still enjoy it so who am I to tell them they shouldnt?

on a side note, I wish some of this "men anchors" has the balls to go against what the women bash sometimes. Anything whether it be howard stern, video games, sports, cheaters just once I would love for the guys to call the women out and tell them to shut up.

:doh: Oh great, this again. If anything, they're less mature than people in their 30s who play games, as only children judge and mock people for their hobbies. As far as I'm concerned, do whatever hobby makes you happy as long as it's legal.

on a side note, I wish some of this "men anchors" has the balls to go against what the women bash sometimes. Anything whether it be howard stern, video games, sports, cheaters just once I would love for the guys to call the women out and tell them to shut up.

Or just come out and mock the women for their ridiculous interests like the celebrity stalking through magazines and sites like TMZ. At least we're somewhat exercising our minds with games, solving problems or puzzles.

Kathie Lee Gifford is nothing but an annoying, ****ty, drunken ***** who talked **** about The Dark Knight back in '08.

And this Donny *****e should shut up as well, whoever the eff that guy is.

I've seen Donny talk on other shows. And yes, I can confirm..that he is a *****e. These people aren't exactly the pulse of the country, I don't know if any of these Talk Shows are. Everytime I so much as glance at a minute of these shows, it's like they're trying to "get" what's happening, just left looking in from the outside somehow.

My favorite Giffords is the one that make fun of this one on SNL. I'm almost tempted to ask what she said about TDK, but it really doesn't matter what she thought.

This does remind me of something I saw at a bestbuy while waiting in line for returns. This older man, who was with his daughter (he must have been in his late 40's or early 50's), made a comment to some guy standing in line, who looked like he was in his 30's, returning an MP3 player. The man asked if he was returning a videogame, and the guy replied "no" and showed him the MP3 player. Then he makes a comment about how he was "worried for a second" because he thought that he looked too old to be playing videogames. That he thinks there's "something wrong with guys like that" because they're "sick", and "need help".

His daughter, who I guess must have been 15 or something, literally rolled her eyes and told her dad that it's very normal for people, especially guys, in their 30's to play videogames.

Kinda a strange moment to witness.

Then what the **** have old ass people been doing with the Wii these past few years?

It seems the Xbox is specially mentioned. In all likely-good she probably views it as the type of games with military men shooting Arabs in order to save America and space marines shooting pokemon aliens. Generally juvenile designed for young males.

As the fellow mentioned above, What the Nintendo Wii done in particular was to create games that will interest anyone, regardless of age or skill level. Even if they don't play games at all. This approach led to it being super successful and something of a gamer-changer. So much so that we didn't have to wait a next generation cycle to see effects on Microsoft and Sony. It only makes sense that gaming will go more so down that road.

Another interesting thing is seeing gaming turning more into a service. In the not too distant future, you might not even need hardware. We already have services that stream it almost like a cable to channel. That further widen games outside of the "core".

Of course. Once you turn 14 you have to forsake everything, except sports and classical novels.

This type of mentality really annoys me. I wonder how these people feel about adults watching cartoons. Just like videos games, there are cartoons made for kids as well as adults. Hell there are cartoons that are targeted towards kids that even adults can enjoy,

Apparently Simon Cowel relaxes by watching Hanna Barbera cartoons and he's the richest most superior human being in existence.

So it comes down to what specific video games you are playing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"