Adventures in Back Issue Hunting --Or-- "Ghost Rider works for God."

PhotoJones

Avenger
Reaction score
So, yesterday I was at the flea market that I go to on occasion, looking for back issues. There's a dealer there who's got an account with Diamond, so he's got new stuff coming in, but he also has an endless supply of just about every back issue of just about every book that Marvel or DC have ever published, and he sells them all for either cover price or below. It's pretty great.

Anyway, while I was looking through a long box of Uncanny X-Men issues, this dude walks in with two of his friends, one I'm assuming, is his girlfriend. He starts looking through one of the Hulk long boxes and begins to give his opinions about comics in general. And my, what opinions he has.

- "Yeah, I'm jus' 'bout the biggest Hulk fan there ever wuz. You know that Chinese piece of **** what directed that Hulk movie a couple years back? Yeah, he's a Chinese piece of ****. They need to get an Uh-merican to make movies of the Hulk. He's a national icon, the Hulk."

- "Oh, lookie here. Here's the newest Captain Uh-merica. Brubaker writes this ****. Marvel oughtta be ashamed of themselves, letting this f****t turn Captain Uh-merica into some communist f****t. That's why I read them other Ultimate books. They got the real Captain Uh-merica in there; kickin' ass and takin' names, you know what I'm sayin'?"

- "Check this out, it's the new Silver Surfer book. "In Thy Name." I like that. Sounds like the Bible, you know? This one's got art by Michael Turner*. I love that guy. He draws the best ****in' Silver Surfer ever."

- "You ever read that Ghost Rider? I love that guy. They never say it, but he's workin' for God, takin' out all them demons. He's jus' an honest Christian man like myself, that the Devil done made ugly. But he killed the Devil and now he's lookin' to clean up all them leftover demons. That's what this book is about."

It took every bit of will power in me not to turn to him and correct his every incorrect statement or baseless opinion. Is this the average comic book fan, or is this the average American? I can't decide. I think it's both. I finally got so fed up, I left to go to the record dealer to kill some time before it was safe to go back.

* It doesn't.

And I wanted to make a thread about my encounter with Memphis Slim, outside the Hype. :o

How is Brubaker's Cap communist though? Seriously, how does one see that?

Not really a comic related thread, more of a lounge shoot the breeze BS

and we do have one in here

After some other threads of this nature were brought to my attention I have decided to re-open this thread.

Score one for Hunter Rider. :up:

How is Brubaker's Cap communist though? Seriously, how does one see that?

Cap's not the President's lap dog. There's a certain viewpoint that certain people hold that goes along the lines of "If you don't support the President, you're against America."

That's probably similar to that guy's opinion of Cap.

Yeah but Cap hasn't been the President's lapdog for a long time. Its hardly something Brubaker came up with.

Well, I don't know then. It's not my lame opinion to try and defend, anyway. I was just trying to understand it.

So, yesterday I was at the flea market that I go to on occasion, looking for back issues. There's a dealer there who's got an account with Diamond, so he's got new stuff coming in, but he also has an endless supply of just about every back issue of just about every book that Marvel or DC have ever published, and he sells them all for either cover price or below. It's pretty great.

Anyway, while I was looking through a long box of Uncanny X-Men issues, this dude walks in with two of his friends, one I'm assuming, is his girlfriend. He starts looking through one of the Hulk long boxes and begins to give his opinions about comics in general. And my, what opinions he has.

- "Yeah, I'm jus' 'bout the biggest Hulk fan there ever wuz. You know that Chinese piece of **** what directed that Hulk movie a couple years back? Yeah, he's a Chinese piece of ****. They need to get an Uh-merican to make movies of the Hulk. He's a national icon, the Hulk."

- "Oh, lookie here. Here's the newest Captain Uh-merica. Brubaker writes this ****. Marvel oughtta be ashamed of themselves, letting this f****t turn Captain Uh-merica into some communist f****t. That's why I read them other Ultimate books. They got the real Captain Uh-merica in there; kickin' ass and takin' names, you know what I'm sayin'?"

- "Check this out, it's the new Silver Surfer book. "In Thy Name." I like that. Sounds like the Bible, you know? This one's got art by Michael Turner*. I love that guy. He draws the best ****in' Silver Surfer ever."

- "You ever read that Ghost Rider? I love that guy. They never say it, but he's workin' for God, takin' out all them demons. He's jus' an honest Christian man like myself, that the Devil done made ugly. But he killed the Devil and now he's lookin' to clean up all them leftover demons. That's what this book is about."

It took every bit of will power in me not to turn to him and correct his every incorrect statement or baseless opinion. Is this the average comic book fan, or is this the average American? I can't decide. I think it's both. I finally got so fed up, I left to go to the record dealer to kill some time before it was safe to go back.

* It doesn't.

Sounds like genuine white trash

The sad thing is that's probably the majority of the comicbook buying public. Basically, the reason good books get canned.

The sad thing is that's probably the majority of the comicbook buying public. Basically, the reason good books get canned.

At the risk of sounding ignorant...Are there people with these kinds of thought processes in England? I mean, I'm sure there are, but do you think it's as rampant as it is here?

People are dummies in general. I tend not to think its any more rampant in one place than the other.

That's true. But people's ******edness can come in many different forms. That's why I was specifically asking about the typical, American redneck mentality being prevalent in the UK.

That's why I was specifically asking about the typical, American redneck mentality being prevalent in the UK.

I imagine that a American redneck mentality wouldn't be prevalent in the United Kingdom. :confused:

:p

At the risk of sounding ignorant...Are there people with these kinds of thought processes in England? I mean, I'm sure there are, but do you think it's as rampant as it is here?

Oh well yeah stupid trash is everywhere, Britain is full of uncultured, uneducated idioits. We don't tend to have the Christian-nut like you do in America. But blindly patriotic to the point of racisist runs wild here.

From what I see America has it worse, could just be that there are more people there - the loudest people in a group always tend to be the stupidest.

I always think of Brits as having taste and culture. It must be the accent. ;)

Haha, It's certainly the image Britain loves to give out - the truth is far removed from that though :(

Apart from myself of course! ;)

I always think of Brits as having taste and culture. It must be the accent. ;)

Well, you know how in medieval fiction, you always have the fat, loud mouthed, dirty commoners sitting 'round the bar, making crude jokes and serving as cannon fodder for the hero to come in and kick the crap out of to show how badass he is? Nowadays, they just bathe more often.

That's true. But then I think of guys like Friar Tuck. Drunk, fat, dirty and loudmouthed, yes. But, he also had a strong sense of justice and equality.

That's true. But then I think of guys like Friar Tuck. Drunk, fat, dirty and loudmouthed, yes. But, he also had a strong sense of justice and equality.

Well, you get plenty of those, too. I mean, Friar Tuck is pretty much the archtypical funny old man in the back of the bar with plenty of stories and enough kick left in him to out drink any young comers who challenge him. Hell, my dad's kind of like that. 'Course, we're American, but that's not the point.

And speaking of which, I wonder if Marvel has plans to do a Robin Hood story to go along with their Marvel Illustrated line. I'd totally buy that. :up:

And speaking of which, I wonder if Marvel has plans to do a Robin Hood story to go along with their Marvel Illustrated line. I'd totally buy that. :up:

That could be cool. If they could get him, I'd love to see Mark Muckingham draw something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"