Agatha Christie's "Murder on the Orient Express"

Fallen Angel

Earth Bound
Reaction score
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kenneth-branagh-talks-direct-agatha-802791

Kenneth Branagh, who most recently directed Disney's hit live-action Cinderella, is in talks to direct Murder on the Orient Express, an adaptation of Agatha Christie's iconic book.

Michael Green wrote the screenplay for the Fox project, which centers on detective Hercule Poirot as he investigates the murder of a wealthy American on a train.

Mark Gordon, Simon Kinberg and Ridley Scott are producing.

Christie's detective novel first hit shelves in 1934. It was first adapted into a film starring Albert Finney, Martin Balsam and George Coulouris in 1974.

It's a great story but I am not sure how you can do anything new with it.

I wonder if they will rename the movie out of political correctness?

If only that was as much snark as it was genuine uncertainty. There will no doubt be protests over the "offense" of using the word Orient in the title if they do, which I think is ridiculous.

As an Asian person, I hope not. Also, they're not calling people Oriental, so it shouldn't be offensive.

What should not be and what really is are two differnt things. I do remember a few years ago there was some noise about it being offensive when it was brought (up again) about offensive language in Huckleberry Finn. This book was brought up as another "offender."

It's a great story but I am not sure how you can do anything new with it.

I don't think there's a lot in Branagh's filmography that's about being new, but rather just telling classic stories in a very respectful manner with top notch casts. What's really new about Henry V, Much Ado About Nothing, Hamlet, or Cinderella?

Honestly, I think it could be fun just to see an old fashioned mystery with a top notch cast, without gussying it up with over the top action set pieces and explosions, like the RDJ Sherlock Holmes movies.

I don't think there's a lot in Branagh's filmography that's about being new, but rather just telling classic stories in a very respectful manner with top notch casts. What's really new about Henry V, Much Ado About Nothing, Hamlet, or Cinderella?

Honestly, I think it could be fun just to see an old fashioned mystery with a top notch cast, without gussying it up with over the top action set pieces and explosions, like the RDJ Sherlock Holmes movies.

Well David Suchet did a very good adaption a few years ago, it's just the story is set in stone I don't see a lot of room to really add much to it or the need for another retelling.

Well David Suchet did a very good adaption a few years ago, it's just the story is set in stone I don't see a lot of room to really add much to it or the need for another retelling.

I just think that the purpose of this adaptation is simply to gather a group of actors that Branagh wants to work with and let them rip into this adaptation. I'd bet that Branagh gets Tom Hiddleston. Derek Jacobi seems likely.

Why does Hercule Poirot never investigate original mysteries? Holmes gets to.

Would've preferred him to just direct on this one. We'll see how double duty goes.

Yeah, he does decent work, but I was thinking of someone else for the Poirot role.

Yeah, he does decent work, but I was thinking of someone else for the Poirot role.

The studio probably said to Branagh, "We'll make this if you play one of the roles too."

Would've preferred him to just direct on this one. We'll see how double duty goes.

He's done it before and with great success but I'm kinda shocked that they're okay with him leading instead of, let's say Liam Neeson. Kenneth has never been a big star and he's known now for his directing or bit parts.

Murder on the Orient Express is a story that won't require extensive CGI, action or huge paydays. This is probably going to be a mid-range budget, likely $30M to $40M.

And that's a good thing. Hollywood is returning to making movies in the 30-60 million dollar range. You don;t need a $130m budget to make a good movie.

I want this to be filled with as many big names as the 1970s version was.

Last edited:
Crossing my fingers that the movie takes place today, the train is carrying 500 tons of hydro-nuclear weapons, and the all-star cast includes Rihanna.

I want this to be filled with as many big names at the 1970s version was.

And that is where the budget comes in, unless they all agree to scale or whatever.

I'm so down for this, and I can actually see Branagh being great as Poirot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"