Agatha Christie's 'Death on the Nile'

Just saw on D+. I liked the Orient Express but this is rather a big step down for me.

The key problem for me is that it spent too much time on the drama pre murder while the actual suspense and solving the murder feel like a rush. In OE the murder happened way sooner and the movie was more about the suspense and solving the murder.

5/10

I haven't seen this movie or the previous one, but just on the box office thing...

The pandemic has only accelerated what was already underway and had been called out by filmmakers for years prior-- With rare exceptions, the only movies that would really do well in theatres would be big pop culture franchises predominately aimed at teen boys through to men (Godzilla vs Kong, No Way Home, The Batman and even Free Guy to a degree) while midbudget films "for grown ups" would be buried or relegated to streaming.

There's nothing surprising happening here.

Finally got around to watching this as it has plenty of actors that I love. Pretty much that's where the praise ends lol.

I was really hoping that they wouldn't make it into a generic story since I never read the novel but....you already know how this ends within 20mins of the movie.

I think it may have been a bit better if it were more like Grand Budapest Hotel in feel but it wasnt.

At what point do you stop blaming the pandemic on box office and just come to terms with the fact that the movie tanked? I feel like the goal posts keep shifting especially when you have movies like Spider-Man NWH breaking box office records and The Batman killing it right now? Free Guy made over $300M on a $100M budget (similar to Death on the Nile). I feel like if a movie does well, everyone says “movies are back! theaters aren’t dead” and if it tanks, “oh well the pandemic…the marketing wasn’t there, etc…”

I think it is fair to say that the pandemic has changed how people go to the movies. A lot of movies making serious bank nowadays are "event" films where you have that desire to see it first thing. Plus we know that countries are going back/forth with lockdowns so that does effect things.

So,any hints on what Poirot adventure the next film might be adapted from?

So,any hints on what Poirot adventure the next film might be adapted from?

All they've mentioned is that it would be a lesser known story and set in Venice. I actually don't think any Poirot story takes place in Venice, but that just might mean they're going to change the location of one of the stories.

I haven't seen this movie or the previous one, but just on the box office thing...

The pandemic has only accelerated what was already underway and had been called out by filmmakers for years prior-- With rare exceptions, the only movies that would really do well in theatres would be big pop culture franchises predominately aimed at teen boys through to men (Godzilla vs Kong, No Way Home, The Batman and even Free Guy to a degree) while midbudget films "for grown ups" would be buried or relegated to streaming.

There's nothing surprising happening here.

A self-defeating prophecy as studios were shifting more toward those established IP films and not green lighting many of those original IP films. Look at a movie like Lost City which is doing well right now.

Last edited:
A self-defeating prophecy as studios were shifting more toward those established IP films and not green lighting many of those original IP films. Look at a movie like Lost Kingdom which is doing well right now.

Do you mean Lost City or is this a different movie?

Saw this the other day. It’s not bad, but it takes too long to get to the actual murder. Most of the actors’ roles are too small to really stand out (which maybe is a good thing since some of them turned out to be horrible people in real life lol). Though Branagh, Okonedo, Mackey, and Bateman all do well. Minor nitpick; the mustache/scar thing with Poirot doesn’t work too well since the scarring appears way too elaborate to cover up with his mustache.

6/10

Not too mention deep scar tissue, like his would be, doesn't have hair follicles. The new tissue would be bald. Even if they stitched the edges of the wound together to reduce the size of the scar he'd have scar lines in his facial hair and his face would be pulled tight in those areas.

Not too mention deep scar tissue, like his would be, doesn't have hair follicles. The new tissue would be bald. Even if they stitched the edges of the wound together to reduce the size of the scar he'd have scar lines in his facial hair and his face would be pulled tight in those areas.

Yeah, definitely. It was really hokey.

French/Belgian moustaches are like The Force, Clark Kent's glasses, this device in Fringe which made deformed people look normal, they have The Power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"