Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - 4x09 - "Broken Promises" - Discussion Thread

Are you saying she only sounds that way because of the way she's playing it as a character? But what if Henstridge sounds that way because that's the only way she can do it in real life (ie a not-very-convincing one)? If she could do one convincingly in real life, why would she not just do that as her character, since Ian does as his character what he's clearly able to do in real life?

I don't think it's down to her playing it that way, but merely that Henstridge simply can't do an American accent convincingly, and sounds exactly like someone who can't do one convincingly who tends to over-emphasise a southern twang.
I'm saying that Henstridge probably does it that way in real life and that it was fine that she couldn't do it perfectly because it's not like she's actually playing an American character.

(and apologies if I'm not making sense today.... the work day has already been weird, and I'm only 3 hours into it :nrv:)

Any guess on what character Coulson was talking about when he said they have a guy to take care that sort of stuff? (when he was talking about disposing of the Darkhold)

I'm calling: Dr Druid.

Any guess on what character Coulson was talking about when he said they have a guy to take care that sort of stuff? (when he was talking about disposing of the Darkhold)

think it was a slight of hand.

the book was cloaked and hidden in the office.

just from stuff fitz and gemma have been saying getting the impression magic is a new concept for shield.

think it was a slight of hand.

the book was cloaked and hidden in the office.

just from stuff fitz and gemma have been saying getting the impression magic is a new concept for shield.

They didn't say that they had already given the book to that person, but that they would take it to him. Coulson and the new Director had every intention of getting the Darkhold out of there. The cloaking for just a temporary solution.

Also, what they're implying is that magic/the supernatural may be new to us (the viewers) but SHIELD has been aware of it for a while. That's why Coulson revealed that he was aware of the other Ghost Rider.

I think I'd like it if he was referring to Wong

It would be cool, but they've been showing the tendency of using obscure characters and the film stars haven't made cameos in a long time.

To me the episode crossed the emotionally believable line.

I can buy in to wild sci-fi such as aliens and androids but emotionally, having a sister turn on and KILL her brother because he gains some extra abilities is just stupid and unrealistic. It's like being appalled that your brother can now throw a baseball 100 MPH when before he couldn't. How does that change who he is or the person you know??? Maybe if he had transformed in to a Raina type hedgehog the arc might be somewhat believable. As is, the intellectual and emotional level of this show has hit a rut.

Copied and pasted from IMDB.

Copied and pasted from IMDB.

families can be the toughest when it comes to expressions of individuality. The character has an anti inhuman ideology. She stuck rigidly to that.

Think people with hard line christian values when someone comes out gay or a crisis pregnency that go against their precieved family value norms. Presumably a communist family would disown a free market capitalist. saying that in the interest of balance.

modern art that display family units that support each other no matter what as some sort of norm is more of a stretch into dis belief than some one with a hard line set of principles rigidly sticking to them at the cost of a family members well being, the right or the wrong of that up to who ever.

I still think it's stupid that they have proven that they are willing to kill agents who threaten their plans, but are just keeping May in a closet because she is a main character.

I got the impression they're somehow reading her memories in order to impersonate her (otherwise, that would be extremely impressive programing on such short notice).

So kidnapping the real May was Radcliffe's idea rather than AIDA going rogue and out of control?

Yes.

Maybe she was just following orders?

Yes.

And has the Darkhold not actually affected her mind?

Yes.

The first two were explicitly stated in the episode, the third can be inferred pretty easily based on what was stated.

And when did Radcliffe manage to build another AIDA? I thought he needed Fitz's help to get her to that level. Is AIDA 2 (or whatever number the latest model is) an upgrade to the one who was beheaded?

The hard part is inventing the android. After that, it's a simple matter of saving the documents somewhere else and following them to recreate it. The trope that destroying the prototype prevents you from making another is actually nonsense. In Star Wars, the Death Star was a prototype. They made another one just fine.

This was a good start to the season's second half. There were a lot of unexpected developments and twists in the story. I especially liked Simmons and Fitz in this one.

families can be the toughest when it comes to expressions of individuality. The character has an anti inhuman ideology. She stuck rigidly to that.

Think people with hard line christian values when someone comes out gay or a crisis pregnency that go against their precieved family value norms. Presumably a communist family would disown a free market capitalist. saying that in the interest of balance.

modern art that display family units that support each other no matter what as some sort of norm is more of a stretch into dis belief than some one with a hard line set of principles rigidly sticking to them at the cost of a family members well being, the right or the wrong of that up to who ever.

Bingo. Well said. It's not unrealistic at all.

Finally got a chance to watch...

Very interested to see how this plays out and didn't expect the twist at the end. Was a bit worried I'd lose interest and it'd be less interesting without Robbie, but still looks promising. Next weeks episode looks insane

Exciting episode, but is it just me or did the dialogue from the senator's plotline feel really not good? It just felt very workmanlike and basic/not particularly realistic.

The entire AIDA going rogue thing was so much like a lesser Westworld that it felt repetitive and you could see the ending coming from a mile away.

All the reaction on youtube i seen so far said they did not see the ending coming,so you are the only one i seen/read saying that.
I did not see it coming myself.
Anyway i thought this was a exciting episode and i was not bored at all.
It was really good episode.

Thought this episode was the second best of the season. What an amazing episode. That twist i did not see coming tbh.

What twist? That the Aida that was decapitadted was not the real Aida? Or that he was trying to get the Darkhold all this time?

Exciting episode, but is it just me or did the dialogue from the senator's plotline feel really not good? It just felt very workmanlike and basic/not particularly realistic.

I agree. Especially when she was having breakfast with her brother and talking outside. Felt like a audition read. Maybe even worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"