Al Gough Interview

Dark_Lord

Dark Lord of the Sith
Reaction score
iF MAGAZINE: Will SMALLVILLE be back for another season?

ALFRED GOUGH: Fingers crossed, we have a good feeling about it, but all the back room rumblings are very positive. Our plan is to be back.

iF: The last two seasons have felt more align with the original movies the more and more we get closer to Clark Kent’s true origin. Was that always the plan?

GOUGH: It’s rare I think for a show to have its second wind in the fifth season. The first four seasons were foundation building and we purposely didn’t play with a lot of the toys in the D.C. Comics toy box. We obviously had Perry White in an episode and Flash in an episode. We knew what the end of Season 4 was going to be, the crystal on the tundra, throwing it, so we had the Fortress of Solitude. Obviously we had Lois Lane. I think we felt we had to earn the right to bring these characters in. So what’s nice about it, unlike certain shows that flame out in two seasons, I think we’ve had more of a slow build with Clark out of high school. Now we have the benefit of sticking around by using these D.C. characters.

iF: It’s pretty rare to have a feature film [SUPERMAN RETURNS], while you’re still on TV. When you first started the show, you told me D.C. was nervous about you and Miles dipping into the comic book well too much because of the revisionist SUPERMAN movie in development. Did they get concerned when SUPERMAN RETURNS was finally greenlit since it is more in line with the original films, much like SMALLVILLE is?

GOUGH: The great thing ultimately, was our biggest savior was Bryan Singer. Bryan was a fan of the show. We had a gentleman’s agreement. Miles, myself, Bryan, [SUPERMAN RETURNS scribes] Dan [Harris] and Mike [Dougherty] the writers, we would keep each other in the loop. Bryan invited us down to Australia. We sort of pitched out Season Five. Bryan offered to let us read the script and we said “well, quite frankly we don’t want that responsibility. But you tell us if any of this is conflicting or things that are not going to jive and things you want us to stay away from.” For a television show, you have that flexibility. And it was a great working relationship. Before that, when it was the McG version of the movie and it was another origin story and Krypton didn’t blow up, and Lex Luthor was a Kryptonian -- there was a year there where it was very tough, in that weird kind of way. We were in the weird position of arguing 60 years of comics history to them, where they were willing to have a planet where Superman is on Earth but Krypton still existed. It was bizarre. Thankfully Bryan came in and said, I don’t want to do SMALLVILLE, I want to do a SUPERMAN movie, and he did SUPERMAN RETURNS.

iF: What did you think of the movie?

GOUGH: I enjoyed the movie a lot. I think that airplane sequence is great. I thought Brandon did a very good job. I like Kevin Spacey. Doing the show every week is a little weird and it’s a little weird to watch the movie, because to me Lex was a bit of a hybrid of [Michael] Rosenbaum and Gene Hackman. Some times he was really vicious and other times he was sort of goofy. All and all I enjoyed the movie, I think Bryan clearly has great affection for the character and I’m looking forward to the sequel, because in a weird way, he did another origin story. Now that’s all sort of been set up, I’m curious to see them bring in a villain that’s not Lex Luthor and curious to see where they take that “Superman has a son thing,” which was a huge thing and very daring. There are a lot of places to go with that story and I’m curious to see what they do.

iF: Did anything from the new SUPERMAN movie inform SMALLVILLE?

GOUGH: No. We’ve been saying that our character is pre-SUPERMAN 1 and that movie is post SUPERMAN II. So in a way it’s too far down the road. I think it was a really satisfying movie experience. It’s interesting to see how different they did things too. Our X-Ray vision looks more like X-Ray’s and his looks more like an MRI. I thought the flying is spectacular, but we can’t afford to do it. We did it once, which I thought looked great.

iF: What should we expect from the rest of the season?

GOUGH: What you’re going to see is a convergence of the JUSTICE LEAGUE, the 33.1 story and the Phantom Zone. All those sort of storylines will start to come together toward the end of the season.

iF: Any possibilities of spinning off any other characters from SMALLVILLE.

GOUGH: They seem to be content with SMALLVILLE, but if you’re going to do any spin-off, you would do Green Arrow. Justin is such a TV star.

iF: You always come up with these great season enders? Do you always know where you're going?

GOUGH: We always know where we’re heading, always, not necessary the season finale. We knew at the end of 4 he goes back and we knew at the end of 5, Zod gets out of the Phantom Zone, and we know what the end of Seasont 6 is, in a very rough form until we get to the end of the episode. There’s so many moving parts, there are certain changes as you go along. The rebound is, you don’t want to get too locked into things that you can’t change if they’re not working. There’s always a sort of fluidness to TV shows. We also tend to have the first half the season more fully formed in our heads than the second half, because you don’t know how the first half is going to play and you don’t know what surprises come to you. Certainly one of the great surprises of the season, was how well the Oliver Queen/Green Arrow character worked. You hope it works, you hope they have chemistry and blend seamlessly in the cast and Justin [Hartley] hit it out of the park. It’s good when you leave the audience wanting more.

iF: Will he be back?

GOUGH: He definitely will be back by Season’s end. Martian Manhunter will be back.

iF: And SMALLVILLE should be back for a Seventh Season as well.

GOUGH: We better be, otherwise it’s going to be one hell of a cliffhanger, that you never see paid off

source:http://www.ifmagazine.com/feature.asp?article=1895

Hope this interview is new (it is to me).

Thanks for posting that Dark Lord.
Some interesting comments from the Goughlar.

Interesting interview.

I thought their gentlemans agreement was nice, since neither would want the other to step on their toes or anything.

I like where the end of this season is heading though...great stuff...more Green Arrow to come and more Martian Manhunter. yay!:woot:

So since he is saying SV is Pre-Superman I aka Superman the movie does that mean that it is in lose continuity with the movies S:TM, SII and SR?

It kinda sounds it, even though I don't know if he really meant that it was within the same continuity, he is just trying to respect some of the creative decisions throughout the movies.

The reason I say that it's not really within the same is because Smallville has made some changes that conflict with the movie...such as people he met already, as well as Zod being a Super Phantom.

It's nice he is trying not to mess up the Donner's and Singer's vision. That shows some great ethics there.:yay:

It kinda sounds it, even though I don't know if he really meant that it was within the same continuity, he is just trying to respect some of the creative decisions throughout the movies.

The reason I say that it's not really within the same is because Smallville has made some changes that conflict with the movie...such as people he met already, as well as Zod being a Super Phantom.

It's nice he is trying not to mess up the Donner's and Singer's vision. That shows some great ethics there.:yay:
I agree what I am thinking is SV did a deal like if you watch S:TM or SR when they do their flashbacks to Young Clark in SV or Jeff East Clark. You can just replace them and say SV happened right here.

But with all that being said if SV really is Pre-Superman The Movie then where does that leave room for Welling to even be Superman(meaning made for TV movie or along those lines) because even DC comics were respectful while doing the Superman Returns prequels and kept Reeve as Superman and Kidder as Lois.

But with all that being said if SV really is Pre-Superman The Movie then where does that leave room for Welling to even be Superman(meaning made for TV movie or along those lines) because even DC comics were respectful while doing the Superman Returns prequels and kept Reeve as Superman and Kidder as Lois.

I don't think it would mess anything up. They already said that we would see Welling in the suit in the end, and as it's a different continuity/universe/earth/whatever else people call it, it would not mess anything up in the least.

I still think that whatever they do, they will try and make sure to respect the other visions, just as Singer tried to respect Al and Miles vision. It doesn't hurt the chances of a movie or something along those lines.

I don't think it would mess anything up. They already said that we would see Welling in the suit in the end, and as it's a different continuity/universe/earth/whatever else people call it, it would not mess anything up in the least.

I still think that whatever they do, they will try and make sure to respect the other visions, just as Singer tried to respect Al and Miles vision. It doesn't hurt the chances of a movie or something along those lines.
No I am not saying it will mess up anything I am just wondering where does it leave room? I mean will we see him in the FOS like Reeve then fly off or will it be like when Superman was about to save Lois for the first time.

No I am not saying it will mess up anything I am just wondering where does it leave room? I mean will we see him in the FOS like Reeve then fly off or will it be like when Superman was about to save Lois for the first time.

Preferably, I would love to have part of the finale in the suit, and I would love to see Welling save Durance as Superman.

Also, it would be great to see him and Martha do the whole creating a costume scene like they had in Lois and Clark, which was hilarious.:woot:

I would love it if he saved Lois as Superman as the end of the series...

That would be a fantastic way to end the show and it would have him do more than a shirt rip....

:up:

Preferably, I would love to have part of the finale in the suit, and I would love to see Welling save Durance as Superman.

Also, it would be great to see him and Martha do the whole creating a costume scene like they had in Lois and Clark, which was hilarious.:woot:
I agree but if they are keeping in line with the movie will the suit be created in the Fotress after talking with Jor-EL? I mean the way they are going it does look that way.

I agree but if they are keeping in line with the movie will the suit be created in the Fotress after talking with Jor-EL? I mean the way they are going it does look that way.

That is probably the way they'll do it, even though I think the other way would be better.

ive said it before ill say it again, i hope the last scene of the series is lois dangling from a helicopter and then falling, cutting to clark who does a shirt rip. the end.

I dont think he meant keeping in line with the film in a strict sense. I think Gough was just talking about the timeframe in Clark's life the show takes places as opposed to S:TM, SII, and then SR... I dont think he intended to mean any link in the continuities of any of them either other than the really "big picture" tenants of the legend that all of them share

I am just wondering though if SV is like SR using the movies as a lose cannon for what they are doing. That way they can have their own story but as well fall in line with the movies.

well I think they're both being "respectful" of the movies but I think the canons are different enough for them to stand on their own

ive said it before ill say it again, i hope the last scene of the series is lois dangling from a helicopter and then falling, cutting to clark who does a shirt rip. the end.

That would totally rock. I just hope it's not too cut too fast. I want to relish that shirt rip. :supes:

The shirt rip will probably be like how it is in S:TAS credits towards then end where he does the shirt rip then it zooms in on just the \S/

The shirt rip will probably be like how it is in S:TAS credits towards then end where he does the shirt rip then it zooms in on just the \S/

That is how I imagine they will end up doing also. It would be awsome.:woot:

iF: Any possibilities of spinning off any other characters from SMALLVILLE.

GOUGH: They seem to be content with SMALLVILLE, but if you’re going to do any spin-off, you would do Green Arrow. Justin is such a TV star.
in other words.. they have thought about it and probebly have a script ready for a pilot episode..

Before that, when it was the McG version of the movie and it was another origin story and Krypton didn’t blow up, and Lex Luthor was a Kryptonian -- there was a year there where it was very tough, in that weird kind of way. We were in the weird position of arguing 60 years of comics history to them,

Define irony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"