Al Gough Interview

^ I think that should be the finale episode of SV, "goes back to the Fortress and finishes his training." end the series on that note.
Than make a SUPERMAN Movie in 10 years with Tom as the Main Man.

That'd be nice, but I doubt it'd happen. I for one want to see Clark developing his secret identity style thing before the series ends. I think that could be a lot of fun. It'd just be hard to do if it were just days after people had seen him last.

^ I think that should be the finale episode of SV, "goes back to the Fortress and finishes his training." end the series on that note.
Than make a SUPERMAN Movie in 10 years with Tom as the Main Man.:supes:

quickmanipkc4.png

Tom Welling will be in his 40s ten years after smallville finishes.

Tom needs to be seen in the suit by the time the end credits start rolling on the series finale, period.

I dont know if this has been posted but here's part 2 of the Al Gough interview with iFmagazine:

iF MAGAZINE: There are rumors of a JUSTICE LEAGUE/METROPOLIS series. Is this still a possibility?

AL GOUGH: There are no spin-off plans at the moment of any kind. The “Justice” episode was incredibly well received by fans and critics alike, but alas, right now, the network doesn't seem to have an appetite for a new superhero series.

iF: Martha Kent's election to the Senate seems to have put her on the backburner a bit more than in previous seasons. Will we be seeing a bit more of her later in the season, given her growing romantic attachment to Lionel?

GOUGH: The Martha/Lionel relationship will come to a head by the end of the season, and you will understand a lot more of Lionel's true motivations this season. I believe people will be surprised.

iF: Jimmy's breakup with Chloe signals a return of the crush Chloe's had on Clark all these years. Given that we know he ends up with Lois, will the two of them ever be together, even briefly?

GOUGH: Don't give up hope on Jimmy and Chloe.

iF: We've seen Lana slowly turning to "the Dark Side" this season, both with her engagement to Lex and her realization in "Subterranean" that "money is power". The revelation that she's pregnant has been a shock, as well. Is there anything you can tell us about the direction Lana's headed in?

GOUGH: Lana's had an interesting season and has really evolved as a character this year. Keep watching, I think there are some interesting twists in store in her relationship with both Lex and Clark. I don't think she has "gone to the dark side," but she has grown up this season and I think deals with the situation in a more mature manner. Lex always feared he would corrupt her, but give Lana some credit; she's stronger than you think.

iF: The WB had greenlit MERCY REEF [the series based on AQUAMAN]before the network became The CW, right?

GOUGH: If the WB were still on the air, we would be on the air. That was bizarre. The [SUPERMAN RETURNS] movie being one of those once in a lifetime things where you have a movie and television show simultaneously. Your network being cancelled being another one after your pilot has already been greenlit. That one was about the network getting cancelled and the new network had a different agenda. Suddenly you go from the favored son to the bastard stepchild.

iF: How far along in developing MERCY REEF’s first season were you?

GOUGH: They only give you [a] thirteen [episode commitment], so we certainly had the first thirteen arc’ed out and we knew the end of season one.

iF: What would have been the season ender?

GOUGH: It was basically the Ving Rhames character gets recaptured and is taken back to Atlantis.

iF: Were you going to do the same kind of stories in the way you adapted Superman for SMALLVILLE.

GOUGH: Yes, again what we learned from SMALLVILLE was to not get marred with a freak of the week thing. There were a lot of different stories to tell on land and sea. The mythology, Atlantis, would have been a small portion of it. Every fourth episode would have dealt with some of that mythology. I think it could have been very interesting that we’re destroying their society and Atlantis has sort of turned into eco-terrorists – sending back people they’ve sort of reprogrammed as suicide bombers. There was an environmental angle to it that was very interesting and you could talk about politics in the way that the best of sci-fi can talk about it -- the way that BATTLESTAR GALACTICA does. It was definitely a cool show, we had a lot of good ideas for, the cast was certainly great. It was probably a bigger, epic show than SMALLVILLE.

iF: How deep did you go into the comics?

GOUGH: There was this whole ATLANTIS CHRONICLES that sort of pre-dated Orin. It was the history of Atlantis and it was fascinating. Unlike Superman, there really isn’t a set core mythology for Arthur Currie. There are a couple different versions of it. We went with the most classic one, but instead of making the dad a Lighthouse keeper, we made him a Coast Guard and for story reasons, it’s another reason to bring stories to the show.

http://ifmagazine.com/feature.asp?article=1904

For me, Al Gough has put another foot in mouth: Aquaman more epic than Superman?? Mercy Reef more epic than Smallville?

:rolleyes:

For me, Al Gough has put another foot in mouth: Aquaman more epic than Superman?? Mercy Reef more epic than Smallville?

:rolleyes:

He was talking about the scope of the show...

Smallville's scope has been mostly limited to Smallville and Metropolis and some things in Edge City (I believe Lucas was in Edge City at the start of Prodigal).

Aquaman had the chance to have anything that happens in the oceans worldwide become part of the show. Smallville doesn't have Clark doing anything much outside what's going on locally.

Smallville's scope has been mostly limited to Smallville and Metropolis and some things in Edge City (I believe Lucas was in Edge City at the start of Prodigal).

Aquaman had the chance to have anything that happens in the oceans worldwide become part of the show. Smallville doesn't have Clark doing anything much outside what's going on locally.

And China, South America and Egypt, all though they are very rare

When you think of it, it all comes to budget: I doubt the producers could execute that kind of plots with a budget like Smallville.

Besides, Clark has been in Honduras, China, South America and within the U.S.A, he has been in San Francisco (to convince the doctor to save Ryan back in season 2), Seattle (Static), New York (Swann Foundation), etc...

just to name a few

As a Clark Kent/Superman fan I felt some misrespect coming from Al Gough.

Also , I'm expecting Clark to begin his world travels (like Birthright) like many people in this forum.

IT's more epic to watch about a man in world who adopted him and cares about every single living being in this world than a complete i**** who most of the times only cares about his city.

Sorry it's just a confession...

Besides, Clark has been in Honduras, China, South America and within the U.S.A, he has been in San Francisco (to convince the doctor to save Ryan back in season 2), Seattle (Static), New York (Swann Foundation), etc...

That was Hub City not San Francisco, and I thought it was a fictitious city.

Hub City is real in the DC Universe, it's the former home to The Question. Last I heard it survived Infinite Crisis so I think it's still around.

Hub City is real in the DC Universe, it's the former home to The Question. Last I heard it survived Infinite Crisis so I think it's still around.

Man, I friggin' HATE comic books sometimes...

And China, South America and Egypt, all though they are very rare

When you think of it, it all comes to budget: I doubt the producers could execute that kind of plots with a budget like Smallville.

just to name a few

As a Clark Kent/Superman fan I felt some misrespect coming from Al Gough.

Also , I'm expecting Clark to begin his world travels (like Birthright) like many people in this forum.

IT's more epic to watch about a man in world who adopted him and cares about every single living being in this world than a complete i**** who most of the times only cares about his city.

Sorry it's just a confession...

That was Hub City not San Francisco, and I thought it was a fictitious city.

I did say he hadn't done "much" outside Smallville, I know he's been outside it. I have been watching the show...

But I still think that's what Gough was referring to.

Clark still isn't thinking globally yet but he's getting there. Arthur woulda been thinking that way from the get go.

Their mindsets are different currently. Clark, of course, will broaden his horizons later when he pulls on the tights and becomes the world's guardian.

iF Magazine final installment to three-part interview

iF: Are you developing any other shows?
GOUGH: Not at the moment. We’re focusing on movies. We have THE MUMMY 3 at Universal and JUNGLE CRUISE at Disney.

iF: Is JUNGLE CRUISE based on the ride?
GOUGH: It’san action-adventure movie, that we just started writing for Disney, which is a lot of fun. It’s in the vein of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. It’s taking the ride and making it like PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN.

iF: So it won’t be anything like THE COUNTRY BEARS movie? [laughs]
GOUGH: It won’t be COUNTRY BEARS. God willing, no COUNTRY BEARS.

iF: What about the MUMMY? How will you approach that?
GOUGH: I can’t say a lot, we just met with Rob Cohen today, he’s going to direct the movie. I will say, it’s not set in Egypt and there is a different mummy. It’s not Im-Ho-Tep. The plan is to bring Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz back.

iF: Are you bringing the kid back?
GOUGH: Yes, he’s back. He’s a young adult now.

iF: You’re always brought in to tackle this tough franchises -- what do you think you bring to the table that the studios love about you?
GOUGH: Certainly with THE MUMMY 3, they came to us three times we said “no.” They had an idea for third MUMMY movie that we always wanted to do as a movie. We said, “if we don’t do it, they’ll do it and it will be gone” and we came up with a good family story. With a sequel, it’s always about “what is it’s reason to be?” With this one, there is still a story tell about the family, about Alex the son, Rachel and Brendan. Once we had that and this cool new idea, we felt “yeah, we can do it.” But we said, “let us develop the story with you [creator] Steve [Sommers], then we’ll go pitch it to the studio. We didn’t want to sign up, come up with something and then have to sit there for six months and have them shoot it down.

iF: What happened with your version of IRON MAN when it was at New Line.
GOUGH: We worked on that movie for a year. Mandarin was the villain, we had Pepper Potts, we had Tony Stark. I’m really curious to see the movie when it comes to. We worked on it for years and ultimately New Line dragged their feet. As movies tend to go, you get a head of steam behind them, but if some of the other elements don’t click in, it goes away. That was really disheartening. When we’re doing the show, we only work on one movie a year, except for this year. But we really love the guys at Marvel. It was very cool. We worked with Michael Crichton’s researchers to find a grounded realistic way to deal with the suit. The idea was he needed the suit to stay alive. He’s the same guy we used with SPIDER-MAN 2 to come up with Dock Ock’s inhibitor chips and what the arms are made of and how they work. The thing about Michael Crichton is, it’s real, real, real and then fantasy. So he tries to keep the bridge between reality and fantasy, you only get one buy. I think with IRON MAN, we had a really good way to do the suit and a very modern way to tell the story. Madarin was an Indonesian terrorist who masqueraded as a rich playboy who Tony knew. I think we had a really good contemporary take on the material.

iF: Let’s say the CW decided to cancel you after next year, would you be able to essay into that last episode pretty quickly?
GOUGH: We feel really good about next season and I think we have eight seasons worth of stories to tell, but in the middle of next season, November, when we’re in episode 10 or 11. We have to know. Is there going to be eight, or are we done? Because if we’re done, we have to know, we have to start the launch sequence to end it.

iF: Hopefully the great ratings this year will keep you on for those eight seasons.
GOUGH: The ratings have been strong. Creatively for us, it’s been really strong. We don’t feel like we’re running out of gas and worse, treading water.

iF: You brought Lois Lane into this, but it goes against what we know about Lois Lane in the existing mythology. Are you saying this is “your” versions of SUPERMAN or eventually, will all this morph into what we know to be from SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE?
GOUGH: I think it will eventually morph into what you know, it’s whether or not you buy the explanations for how they morph in. Some people will and some people won’t. The comics over the years have certainly taken liberties with the characters and we certainly have with this story. The plan is that it will all synch up with the mythology we all know.

iF: So Lois might not know who Clark is at some point?
GOUGH: He leaves and when she meets him again, he’s this dopey guy with glasses, and oh, there might be something else. There’s a lot of ways to bring it back in line, but I think it’s been great having Erica [Durance] on the show, and see her evolution as a reporter. You look at Erica and go “that character can become Margot Kidder

iF: Are you committed to SMALLVILLE’s end run?
GOUGH: Yes.

I'm bumping this thread since it seems to be the most appropriate place to link new interviews with Gough. :p

Mild spoiler warning ahead...

The Trades
Interview: Al Gough: Black Canary Takes Wing on Smallville
by R.J. Carter
Published: February 6, 2008

In the world of Smallville fans, nothing generates a bigger buzz than the introduction of a new character from the DC Comics pantheon of characters. And with each new debut, either love or hate the character, opinions run strong.

The February 7th episode of Smallville, "Siren," sees the return of Justin Hartley as Oliver Queen (aka Green Arrow) -- and along with him, a certain pretty bird calling herself Black Canary (played by Painkiller Jane's Alaina Huffman). We had an opportunity to speak with Smallville guru, Al Gough, about the appearance of the butt-kicking bird of prey, and what it entails to bring in new DC characters.

What's the overall process for bringing an established DC Comics character into the Smallville-verse? Does a call on the part of Warner Brothers trump a call on the part of DC, or vice versa?

It's our call, usually, if we want to bring somebody in, but then we have to make several calls to make sure we can actually do that -- and that call usually starts with Greg Novack at DC Comics. He's our point person there, and our advocate -- the one who gets us the permission to use these characters, whether it's the Justice League folks we used last year, Supergirl, and now Black Canary. Once we get the signoff from him, we're free to go about incorporating that character into the show.

Without spoiling too much of "Siren" away, how is Black Canary introduced into Smallville?

She's introduced, actually, working for the wrong side. She's actually doing something for Lex, which puts her in the crosshairs of Oliver Queen -- and more importantly, the Green Arrow. We wanted to show the first meeting between Black Canary and Green Arrow -- as we like to describe it, "cute and slightly violent." So that was the setup: if she comes in, it should be the first time she meets Green Arrow.

What similarities and differences will we see in the Smallville Black Canary vs. the DCU version?

I'll be honest with you, I'm not that familiar with her in the comics other than her basic information. She's got the "canary cry," she's got the fishnets, she kicks ass, and I think has a lot of attitude. I think she incorporates the basic tenets of the character from the comic, but I don't know where she stands in the continuity or anything like that at the moment, within the comics.

Before every new season of Smallville kicks off, there is always the raised hope of seeing the other two big guns from DC make some sort of appearance, whether it's a "Young Bruce Wayne" passing through town, or a teenaged Amazon princess assisting against a threat. Is there a hope at all of this ever happening?

Bruce Wayne: No. Wonder Woman: Probably not, but we always ask. It's the movie franchises that prohibit us from doing that.

Can you explain in simple terms how the movie projects tie up the television series, when the properties and medium are both owned by the same corporation?

They just do. We're just told that we can't use that character. It's a corporate decision. Again, Greg Novack at DC is our biggest advocate, and we've certainly run up the hill on both Bruce Wayne and Diana Prince, but haven't had any success so far. With Bruce Wayne, we won't because of the movie franchise, and that's sort of an arbitrary corporate decision that we have no control over.

Along that same vein, was it the rumor of a potential James Cameron "Aquaman" film that killed the chances for the Smallville Aquaman spinoff, Mercy Reef?

No, that became, unfortunately, a victim of the UPN and WB demise, and the formation of the CW. We became a corporate orphan, so to speak. It was more a matter of unfortunate timing than anything else.

Are there plans for any other recognizable characters in the future? The Superman gallery of rogues is a little shallow, but there are still unused heavy hitters like Darkseid or Mongul.

We're always looking, and we're always asking. There's nothing I can reveal at this point, but those things are always in process.

Obviously Tom Welling is getting older and Clark can't stay a young man forever. Are there any plans to develop Smallville into a live-action Justice League series, seeing as how the group has already been formed on the show?

Well, they have a "Justice League" movie in development, which was moving forward, and now because of the writers' strike was sort of sidelined, so I'm not sure whether that's going to come back. But again, in the strange corporate world we live in, I think that would negate any Justice League series on our part, unfortunately.

Eventually Clark will become Superman. But given how things have transpired in Smallville, how will Clark avoid recognition by people who know him so well -- in particular, his former best friend, Lex Luthor?

That will be the challenge when we wrap up the series -- although, we know how we want to do it. It'll feed into the Superman legend. Whether it will be a version people respond to remains to be seen. But we do have ideas as to how to wrap our version of Clark and Smallville into the Superman lore.

http://www.the-trades.com/article.php?id=10011

Forget Darkseid. What about someone like Rudy Jones? A guy who can steal anyone's abilities and/or memories. Think about how amazing (and feasible) of a foe he'd be for Clark...

I'm wondering what AlMiles have on their minds to explain why Lois and Lex won't recognize Clark/Superman, what else can they do besides a good old memory wipe?

I'm just glad that Al and Miles have thought about the ending and how people won't recognize Clark as Superman. I am open to any solution they have for that problem. I'm also glad he admitted that he's not an expert on Black Canary in the comics. I don't know much about the comics either.

I'm wondering what AlMiles have on their minds to explain why Lois and Lex won't recognize Clark/Superman, what else can they do besides a good old memory wipe?

I'm just happy they realize its an issue they need to resolve.

Glad they are going to come up with some kind of explanation. But what you stated above is something that bothers me...surely to God they won't go that route. That would be such a cop out IMO.

His statement:

That will be the challenge when we wrap up the series -- although, we know how we want to do it. It'll feed into the Superman legend. Whether it will be a version people respond to remains to be seen. But we do have ideas as to how to wrap our version of Clark and Smallville into the Superman lore.

That bit has me excited and a little worried. Oh well, just have to hope for the best that it will be something interesting and new and add to the myth.

For the life of me though, can't think of what explanation they can come up with...??

"Whether it will be a version people respond to remains to be seen."

It has me a little worried too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"