Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle reunited

The Joker

The Clown Prince of Crime
Reaction score
Didio then asked many fans when they started reading – the longest reader had been following DC for 52 years – before announcing a new series of one shots called "Retro-Active" which will bring back creators associated with specific eras of DC to create one-shots set in that period of continuity. Each property will have a one-shot set in the '70s, '80s and '90s as Didio revealed that the teams for each character would be:

Superman - Martin Pasko (‘70s), Marv Wolfman (‘80s), Louise Simonson (‘90s)

Batman - Len Wein (‘70s), Mike Barr (‘80s), Alan Grant (‘90s)

Wonder Woman - Denny O'Neil (‘70s), Roy Thomas (‘80s), William Messner-Loebs (‘90s)

Flash - Carey Bates (‘70s), William Messner Loebs (‘80s), Brian Augustyn (‘90s)

Green Lantern - Denny O'Neil (‘70s), Len Wein (‘80s), Ron Marz (‘90s)

The Justice League of America - Cary Bates (‘70s), Gerry Conway (‘80s), Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis (‘90s)

Ok, it's only for a one shot...but still! Awesome!!!

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/04/01/dc-comics-retro-active-one-shots-wondercon/

Breyfogle confirmed he's in on it on his Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/people/Norm-Breyfogle/569177740?sk=wall

I can't wait. Grant and Breyfogle are by far my favorite writer/artist combo Batman ever had. Their run on Detective is my favorite era in the Bat comics.

Last edited:
Feels-Super-Man.jpg

DC's trade department is also shaping up, hopefully we can son get proper collections of some of the 90s run.

Wow, thats a great idea and for me THE Batman series is the one made by Grant and Breyfogle

I'm looking forward to many of these one-shots and wondering who the artists will be.

Well if there was one artist I could have picked to be brought back, it's Breyfogle. I'm over the moon about this. It makes me want to whip out some of his and Grant's issues on Detective.

Words cannot express my happiness right now. A step in the right direction considering how horrible DC has been to Breyfogle all these years. If only this convinces DC to release an omnibus of their stuff finally. I mean I still own the bulk of the 'tec stuff and about a little more than a quarter of their BATMAN stuff to this very day but I sold my Shadow of the Bat collection many moons ago as I was strapped for cash. I would love to re-read a lot of those stories once more. Plus this was MY definitive bat team and many modern fans are not familiar at all with them so it would be nice to have so that new readers could enjoy the wonders of their glorious run all over the bat universe.

Words cannot express my happiness right now. A step in the right direction considering how horrible DC has been to Breyfogle all these years. If only this convinces DC to release an omnibus of their stuff finally.

That would be a great side effect. I own all the stuff, but I am too lazy to get those diamonds out of their bag all the time.

More information is coming out now:
DC RETROACTIVE: BATMAN – THE ‘70s #1
From classic Batman artist Tom Mandrake and classic Batman writer Len Wein comes a new Batman story set in the heart of the ‘70s, a decade which transitioned Batman from TV’s campy Caped Crusader to the Dark Knight Detective.
Plus: Following the 26-page lead story is a classic Batman tale originally published in the ’70s, also written by Len Wein!
ONE-SHOT • On sale JULY 20 • 56 pages, Full Color, $4.99 US • Rated Teen
retrobatman1970sr1.jpg

DC RETROACTIVE: GREEN LANTERN – THE ‘70s #1
Classic Green Lantern artist Mike Grell and classic Green Lantern writer Dennis O’Neil return to Hal Jordan in a new epic that finds the Earth-born Green Lantern on a space-faring thrill.
Plus: Following the 26-page lead story is a classic Green Lantern tale originally published in the ’70s, also written by Dennis O’Neil!
ONE-SHOT • On sale JULY 27 • 56 pages, Full Color, $4.99 US • Rated Teen
retrogreenlantern1970s.jpg

DC RETROACTIVE: THE FLASH – THE ‘70s #1
Artist Benito Gallego teams up with classic Flash writer Cary Bates to tell the tale of an evil attack from one of the Flash’s greatest nemeses, Gorilla Grodd. With a plan so twisted and evil launched against him, Barry Allen must not only work to preserve his legacy, but his relationship with his wife, Iris.
Plus: Following the 26-page lead story is a classic Flash tale originally published in the ’70s, also written by Cary Bates!
retroflash1970s.jpg

DC RETROACTIVE: SUPERMAN – THE ‘70s #1

Classic Superman artist Eduardo Barretto joins classic Superman writer Martin Pasko as they revisit Metropolis and tell the lost tale of one of Mr. Mxyzptik’s epic plots against Superman.
Plus: Following the 26-page lead story is a classic Superman tale originally published in the ’70s, also written by Martin Pasko!
retrosuperman1970s.jpg

DC RETROACTIVE: WONDER WOMAN – THE ‘70s #1
Joining legendary Diana Prince scribe Dennis O’Neil is artist J. Bone, featuring the white costumed version of the Amazon Princess. With Paradise Island on the verge of destruction, it’ll be up to Diana Prince to complete three treacherous tasks to save her homeland.
Plus: Following the 26-page lead story is a classic Diana Prince tale originally published in the ’70s, also written by Dennis O’Neil!
retroww70s.jpg

DC RETROACTIVE: JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA – THE ‘70s #1

Artists Andy Smith and Gordon Purcell come together with classic JLA writer Cary Bates to tell how Kanjar Ro will try to wipe out the civilization of Earth-Prime. It’ll be up to the Justice League, Adam Strange and a very special DC legend to stop his ruthless plans.
Plus: Following the 26-page lead story is a classic JLA tale originally published in the ’70s, also written by Cary Bates!
retroactivejla70s.jpg

Last edited:
Most of this series look great, and I've been waiting ages for another Grant/Breyfogle book to come out.

DC RETROACTIVE: BATMAN– THE ‘80s #1
Artist Jerry Bingham and writer Mike W. Barr come together to tell the story of someone using the name, appearance and methodology of The Reaper and is stalking the streets of Gotham City and killing off mobsters. The catch? Both men who previously masqueraded as The Reaper are dead. Can Batman get to the bottom of the identity of this mysterious killer while simultaneously shepherding an untried Robin (Jason Todd)?
ONE-SHOT • On sale AUGUST 3 • 56 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

DC RETROACTIVE: JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA – THE ‘80s #1
Along with writer Gerry Conway, artist Ron Randall revisits JLA Detroit, a chapter in the team’s history that may have been one their most controversial line-ups ever.
ONE-SHOT • On sale AUGUST 10 • 56 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

DC RETROACTIVE: THE FLASH – THE ‘80s #1
The ‘80s were a decade that forever changed the Scarlet Speedster. Now telling a new story from that era will be the creative team of artist Greg LaRocque and writer William Messner-Loebs.

DC RETROACTIVE: GREEN LANTERN – THE ‘80s #1
Reuniting with legendary comic book writer Len Wein is fan-favorite artist Joe Staton to tell an exciting story that sets Hal Jordan in the heart of the 1980’s.

DC RETROACTIVE: WONDER WOMAN – THE ‘80s #1
Artist Rich Buckler teams up with writer Roy Thomas as Wonder Woman must battle Silver Swan to protect her secret identity from being revealed.

DC RETROACTIVE: SUPERMAN – THE ‘80s #1
Joining acclaimed writer Marv Wolfman will be artist Sergio Cariello to tell an exciting “lost tale” about the Man of Steel that connects directly to Crisis on Infinite Earths.

DC RETROACTIVE: JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA – THE ‘90s #1
Writers Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis and artist Kevin Maguire are one of the most iconic creative teams in the Justice League’s history. In this issue, they reunite to tell the story of the Injustice Gang gaining access to a device they should never have been allowed to have, causing potentially disastrous results. It’ll be up to the Justice League to put a stop to their dastardly deeds.
ONE-SHOT • On sale AUGUST 24 • 56 pages, Full Color, $4.99 US • Rated Teen

DC RETROACTIVE: SUPERMAN – THE ‘90s #1
Fan-favorite creative team of writer Louise Simonson and artist Jon Bogdanove come back together to tell a lost tale of the Man of Steel. Lex Luthor hatches a scheme that could both increase his wealth and kill Superman. Can he successfully kill two birds with one stone? Not if Clark Kent has anything to say about it.

DC RETROACTIVE: BATMAN – THE ‘90s #1
Writer Alan Grant and artist Norm Breyfogle helm a tale that spins directly off of the events of "Trash" DETECTIVE COMICS #613 (1990) (reprinted in this issue). When The Ventriloquist and Scarface are released from prison after only one year, they become determined to reclaim their statuses in the upper echelon of Batman’s Rogues Gallery.
ONE-SHOT • On sale AUGUST 17 • 56 pages, Full Color, $4.99 US • Rated Teen

DC RETROACTIVE: THE FLASH – THE ‘90s #1
When Kid Flash Wally West took up the mantle of the Flash, he morphed from a sidekick into a hero in his own right. The creative team of writer Brian Augustyn and artist Mike Bowden set the young Fastest Man Alive in another race against evil.

DC RETROACTIVE: WONDER WOMAN – THE ‘90s #1
Joining writer William Messner-Loebs is artist Paris Cullins to tell a defining story that shows why Wonder Woman is the Princess of the Amazons.

DC RETROACTIVE: GREEN LANTERN – THE ‘90s #1
In this issue, the legendary ‘90s creative team of Ron Marz and Darryl Banks team up again. New Green Lantern Kyle Rayner, while on monitor duty at the JLA Watchtower, must overcome his fears in order to stop a villain in his tracks and save his own abilities and imagination.

Last edited:
DC RETROACTIVE: BATMAN – THE ‘90s #1
Writer Alan Grant and artist Norm Breyfogle helm a tale that spins directly off of the events of "Trash" DETECTIVE COMICS #613 (1990) (reprinted in this issue). When The Ventriloquist and Scarface are released from prison after only one year, they become determined to reclaim their statuses in the upper echelon of Batman’s Rogues Gallery.

Grant and Breyfogle on a Ventriloquist and Scarface story?

EPIC!!! :awesome:

As awesome as all this is, that Wonder Woman cover is too funny.

I so remember the Grant-Breyfogle era.. a couple o'stories come to mind right about now.. there was this one for example, one of the first I read as I began to become interested in Comics; "Symbols", I think that was the title.. quite mystic and powerful (Bats vs. the Clown Prince in all splendor). They were so prolific and key to the renewal of the mythos.. Stirk, Mr. Zsasz, the original Ventriloquist, the "cool" Robin (hehe) just to name a few keypoints.. how cool it is to have 'em back for one more trip to Gotham City!

Alan and Norm also did two of the best Penguin stories I ever read. Especially the two parter in 'Tec #610 and 611.

Starting next month, the RETROACTIVE series of one-shots will each feature a new 26-page story followed by a classic story from its corresponding era by the same writer.
Below, check out the just-unveiled covers for all of the 1970’s books.

DC RETROACTIVE: SUPERMAN – THE ‘70s cover by Eduardo Barreto and Allen Passalaqua.​

DC RETROACTIVE: WONDER WOMAN – THE ‘70s cover by J. Bone and Carrie Strachan.​

DC RETROACTIVE: GREEN LANTERN – THE ‘70s cover by Mike Grell and Allen Passalaqu.​

DC RETROACTIVE: THE FLASH – THE ‘70s cover by Benito Gallego, Sal Buscema, and Carrie Strachan.​

DC RETROACTIVE: JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA – THE ‘70s cover by Andy Smith, Ernie Chan, and Carlos Badilla.​
DCRBM70_Cv1.jpg

DC RETROACTIVE: BATMAN – THE ‘70s cover by Tom Mandrake and Wes Hartman.​

Not too keen on the Mandrake book, he's been bak a few times on Batman and his older work is better than his newer work...

DC RETROACTIVE: SUPERMAN – THE ‘80s cover by Dan Jurgens, Livesay, & Carrie Strachan.​

DC RETROACTIVE: WONDER WOMAN – THE ‘80s cover by Rich Buckler & Kevin Colden.​

DC RETROACTIVE: GREEN LANTERN – THE ‘80s cover by Joe Staton & Allen Passalaqua.​

DC RETROACTIVE: THE FLASH – THE ‘80s cover by Greg LaRocque & Carrie Strachan.​

DC RETROACTIVE: JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA – THE ‘80s cover by Ron Randall & Carlos Badilla.​

DC RETROACTIVE: BATMAN – THE ‘80s cover by Jerry Bingham & Carlos Badilla.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"