Alien: Romulus (2024)

Imagine getting notes from both Ridley Scott and James Cameron.

Might be worth framing.

Might be worth framing.
I just realized we are now living in an era of actual "fan films". In the sense that they're making sequels/prequels/whatever to old 70's and 80's movies and the kids who grew up with those are now making the films.

Just got back from seeing the Alien re-release. No Romulus sneak peek other than the previously-released teaser but the chat between Scott and Alvarez was cool. And the 4k showing of the original movie was great!

Might be worth framing.
It must feel surreal to be in that position but I would also imagine as a director you take notes from both sides but with some caution as to what you actually do with those notes. Even though most Alien fans will agree on Alien and Aliens being the 2 best ones, it does feel like the Ridley Scott take on Alien is vastly different to the James Cameron one so if you're coming into it now, you probably want to give some nods to both without going too much either way.

Yeah I expected people to say that. I'm the opposite, I think Scott comes closer to creating interesting films at this moment in time, despite there unarguably being more misses than hits in recent years. I don't find Cameron's recent work to be all that interesting at all, really. Avatar is just not my thing.

Yeah I'm sorry but James Cameron dedicating his entire career to Avatar films is a disgrace and a huge loss for cinema.

Yeah I expected people to say that. I'm the opposite, I think Scott comes closer to creating interesting films at this moment in time, despite there unarguably being more misses than hits in recent years. I don't find Cameron's recent work to be all that interesting at all, really. Avatar is just not my thing.
Covenant begs to differ. That movie pissed me off.

$4 billion box office from two movies... a disgrace indeed. :o
How does that affect me? I'm not talking about money but about creativity. For some of us that don't like Avatar is like losing that director already. He's not gonna make another Terminator, another True Lies or another Titanic. Is just Avatar 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. It's disheartening.

I just dont see how making another sequel to Terminator or True Lies will change anything how you feel about him. lol

I just dont see how making another sequel to Terminator or True Lies will change anything how you feel about him. lol
You missed my point. I wasn't talking LITERALLY about another True Lies.

Even then, it's fine. Just because you didn't respond well to his Avatar films doesn't mean he is a disgraced filmmaker. Everyone outside of this internet bubble seemed to love his films, clearly. Otherwise, it wouldn't make that much at the boxoffice 3D pricing included.

And if Cameron wants to spend the rest of his time building out his own original world like Star Wars, then let him.

They didn't say he was a disgraced filmmaker, in fairness. They said the fact that Cameron is relegating himself to those movies for the foreseeable future, is a disgrace. It's complimenting Cameron, if anything.

They didn't say he was a disgraced filmmaker, in fairness. They said the fact that Cameron is relegating himself to those movies for the foreseeable future, is a disgrace. It's complimenting Cameron, if anything.

But what's so disgraceful that he wants to spend the rest of his life building out his own world? If Lucas or Tolkien did the same thing, why can't Cameron?

Also there are other inspiring filmmakers right now that are making interesting stuff as well as Cameron did.

Because OP doesn't think much of Avatar and thinks it's a shame Cameron won't redirect his talents to other cinematic ventures that are more palatable to their tastes. Disgrace is too strong a word and is perhaps causing a little confusion here. They basically mean it's a shame. There's no implication here that anyone thinks they know what's best for James Cameron's career lol.

Yes, I'm not attacking James Cameron. He's having the time of his life. I just wish for more diversity in his filmmaking, his abilities are being a little bit wasted by doing the same thing for 20+ years. Say whatever you want about Ridley Scott, he's doing all sorts of things. Some things work and some doesn't, but I find that infinitely more interesting. It makes me anticipate whatever he does next because he's gonna flex different muscles every time he attempts a new project. Avatar 6 just doesn't have that same appeal.

Yes, I'm not attacking James Cameron. He's having the time of his life. I just wish for more diversity in his filmmaking, his abilities are being a little bit wasted by doing the same thing for 20+ years. Say whatever you want about Ridley Scott, he's doing all sorts of things. Some things work and some doesn't, but I find that infinitely more interesting. It makes me anticipate whatever he does next because he's gonna flex different muscles every time he attempts a new project. Avatar 6 just doesn't have that same appeal.
I agree about Cameron. I’d be down for him to do a horror movie version of The Abyss. Unfortunately he’s just dead set on the Avatar world which I like just fine but don’t love all that much. I certainly don’t want Avatar 5 or 6.

Ridley has had some timeliness and variance in the projects he's worked on at least. Cameron drops as much as a Kendrick Lamar album, and when he does it's some Avatar stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"