Alien: Romulus (2024)

Cameron also liked Terminator Genisys as well.
Actually I was referring to Genisys when I said he later claimed he only said he liked it because of Arnold. With Dark Fate there was a big clash between him and director Tim Miller and nobody particularly ended up liking the film or enjoying the experience. But with Romulus it's a different deal, since he's not involved in any capacity, nor is it his creation. :shrug:

This looks perfect, and respect for them to honor (or try to) Prometheus/Covenant.

Alvarez has never shown a sign of skill beyond base, dim witted shock value. His fore into mainstream franchise filmmaking was also a staggeringly incompetent piece of hack work. There are a few okay (in a very shallow way) scenes in Evil Dead but his other movies are pure unadulterated trash.

This is like a couple steps up from having Eli Roth make an Alien movie. Some big steps, but still in the ballpark.
IMG_7581.gif

I think Fede's films are just okay, but he also produced Don't Breathe 2 and Netflix Chainsaw Massacre.

I know I'm late to the party but so far I like what I'm seeing from Romulus both in terms of the teaser and Fede talking about the movie. I would say before this I didn't necessarily have strong feelings on Fede Alvarez either way. I liked the Evil Dead remake he did, but it doesn't touch the original trilogy. However it was one of those cases where, as much as I enjoyed his remake, I always wondered how much of that was a credit to him and how much influence Raimi/Campbell had as producers and gatekeepers of the franchise. I thought Don't Breathe was a pretty solid horror movie and like many others I never got around to his Girl in the Spider Web movie because reviews weren't very good. However even without seeing that film I feel like he was in a tough position making a sequel nobody really wanted to a really good Fincher movie without any of the cast returning, so people's interest was already lukewarm to start with. But hearing him talk about Alien it does feel like he "gets" it.

We've had 8 films with this creature before (6 if you want to remove the AvP ones) yet this is really the first time someone thought of a chase scene with multiple facehuggers chasing character(s) through narrow hallways. And I'm shocked it took this long because this is probably the worst nightmare fuel I could imagine in this world. I would much rather come face to face with the adult Alien and take the loss right away, than being put through trying to outrun 20 finger spiders wanting to impregnate my face. I know a lot of the discourse around this film before we see it will be how close it goes to Alien Isolation - a very well loved game. Personally I think it's great to bring the horror back. As much as I love Aliens, it did nerf the creatures and past that point they rarely felt as scary as the initial film. Romulus seems to try and bring back the suspense of Alien and Alien 3 and I'm all for that. Definitely curious to see how they tie other films into this since Fede said they wont ignore the other movies, having heard some of the rumors of the plot I will say I'm both sceptical and intrigued.

It definitely feels like they're trying to do for Alien what Prey did for Predator and so far it feels like they are making the right moves to make that happen.

I'm not even the biggest Fede Alvarez fan but this looks super promising so far. It actually feels like an Alien movie and if they focus more on the practical effects I think we could have a real winner on our hands.

I'm also glad this is getting a proper theatrical release.

I have to admit, I’m a bit shocked by how many people are so positive on this movie. I think the teaser looked good, but after 30 years of s****y Alien movies, it’s hard for me to get too excited. It could be good but not even Ridley Scott has been able to make a good Alien movie recently so I’m not getting my hopes up.

We are living in the exact same future BTTF Part II predicted with Jaws 19. We are so far removed from the original concept and the era in which it was made that I don't know if I can compare anymore. I don't know how to explain it coherently or make sense out of it. But some sequels are so far apart from the previous movies right now that I don't think I can *see* them as sequels. They're too different.

I have to admit, I’m a bit shocked by how many people are so positive on this movie. I think the teaser looked good, but after 30 years of s****y Alien movies, it’s hard for me to get too excited. It could be good but not even Ridley Scott has been able to make a good Alien movie recently so I’m not getting my hopes up.
I like the franchise a lot and probably get more mileage out of the crappier movies than most, but in many ways the Alien franchise is like an abusive relationship. Every time there's a new trailer it makes us go "This time it will be different, this time it will be great again" and then you get slapped but a few years later it's the same again.

But I think a lot of the hype this time around comes from the fact that it feels like a 'going back to basic' and after what Prey did for Predator I think many feel this could be the same for Alien. But also I think the franchise went crazy and overblown at one point and we haven't really had a darker, more serious, actual horror movie Alien since Alien 3. Prometheus and Covenant were far more interested in expanding the lore than being tense nightmare fuel, the AvP movies are kinda schlocky and not very scary and Resurrection is like a weird french fetish movie. Even though the Alien franchise never really went away, this feels like a movie a lot of us have been waiting for since the early 00s.

I for one think that major Hollywood franchises should venture more often into the weird french fetish subgenre of filmmaking.

There's one bad-ish (but fun) pure Alien film aka Alien Resurrection.

3 is solidly good. Prometheus and Covenant rule...

So, I don't see where you're coming from.

Plus, we have 30 years of great comics too.

ALIEN [5/5]
Prometheus [5/5]
ALIEN$ [4.5/5]
ALIEN | Covenant [4.5/5]
ALI3N [4/5]
ALIEN | Resurrection [3.5/5]

ALIEN [5/5]
Prometheus [5/5]
ALIEN$ [4.5/5]
ALIEN | Covenant [4.5/5]
ALI3N [4/5]
c07.gif

You can find worse sequels out there than Alien 3 and Resurrection and I like Prometheus more than most people but Covenant took whatever was interesting about Prometheus and threw it out the window. There were a few good ideas in the first half but the third act devolved into a lazy condensed rehash of the original movie.

Covenant is pretty bad. No excuse for Romulus to not be able to surpass that, but I do think people misjudge the Alien franchise and label it as a Terminator or Star Wars series that's mostly trashy by this point. This isn't a movie where it just needs to be competent to be considered one of the best in the franchise.

Covenant is pretty bad. No excuse for Romulus to not be able to surpass that, but I do think people misjudge the Alien franchise and label it as a Terminator or Star Wars series that's mostly trashy by this point. This isn't a movie where it just needs to be competent to be considered one of the best in the franchise.
Covenant would work as a spinoff not a Prometheus sequel. That quick flashback sequence of what happened to Noomi Rapance's character should have been the movie we got.

I agree that Alien as a franchise isn't as bad off as some claim it to be, provided of course we leave out the AvP movies but I don't think anyone counts those anyway. :o

Alien 3 is divisive but I feel like time has been somewhat kinder to it, if for nothing else other than the novelty of it being David Fincher's first movie. Alien Resurrection isn't good but it's not terrible either, in any case it's at least entertaining. Prometheus IMO is the third best in the franchise after Alien and Aliens. IMO Covenant is the worst in the franchise but even then I still consider it to be watchable.

ALIEN [5/5]
Prometheus [5/5]
ALIEN$ [4.5/5]
ALIEN | Covenant [4.5/5]
ALI3N [4/5]

I mean, it’s not like disliking Prometheus and Covenant is some uncommon opinion.

Prometheus could have been an awesome atmospheric movie…if there wasn’t that 2nd half of the movie, where everything was ruined (Faßbender infecting passengers with the Parasite for absolutely no reason).
In the end, Ridley even refused to explain the Spacejockey…just to make another (****) sequel

Prometheus could have been an awesome atmospheric movie…if there wasn’t that 2nd half of the movie, where everything was ruined (Faßbender infecting passengers with the Parasite for absolutely no reason).
In the end, Ridley even refused to explain the Spacejockey…just to make another (****) sequel
David infected Fifield both as an experiment and because Fifield was being an ass towards him. It's called karma.

Btw, Romulus pretty much looks like what I wanted the last movie to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"