Altered Carbon

Will yun lee is a regular on the good doctor so it would be difficult to have him as the lead for season unless abc signs off on it. Swapping bodies is also a major component to the show and the universe it takes place.

Finished this today...
There is no other way to say it... This lacked something the first season had. And I am not just talking about Tn'A. There is some good stuff, even some really good performances, but yeah, sophomore slump feels accurate. Season one came across with more urgency, more style, more atmosphere... this felt more bland, toned down and the pacing was awful in the early goings which, when you got 8 episodes is an issue. Plod along for 3-4 episodes and that is half of the show right there feeling no forward momentum.

That said rather than **** on this season in it's entirety or something, I will first say what I did like or found interesting.

I was surprised that even though I was not crazy about Mackie that I felt a still strong connection to the Faconer/Kovacs relationship. I still was pulling for those two crazy kids which while that might be more an afterglow from season one, does show at least in this season that on that aspect they didn't do anything to undermine that essential feature in the show. Also... I am crushing on Goldsberry big time and that Falconer featured so heavily in this was nice. Torment Liebrect was a welcome presence as Jaeger's new sleeve. Everything they did was spot on in terms of what that character should be about and he was equal parts impressive, menacing, intelligent and obsessed... What more can you ask from your heavy in a show? Poe and Dig were a nice side story that linked to the series themes about memory and identity. Conner was charming and fun as always. Once more let us also give it up for Will Yun Lee as original recipe Kovacs who once he came onboard this season did a great job with what he had to work with. What COULD have been done there was interesting, but despite feeling that was not as deep as it could have been is no knock on Lee and the way we end with his Kovacs still being alive is not something I had seen coming. On a final note, not to get too SJW, BUT... Think about how this is an expensive Science Fiction show and for many long stretches scenes would feature two black women, a black man and an Asian man... We don't see that too often in well financed SciFi shows. I really hope people noticed that.

Now as to what I felt were some shortcomings...

I can't quite put my finger on it but overall lacking is what I would say describes the season. Mackie lacked some spark for this role. He seems to perk up a little bit more by the back end of the season but even then he never quite pulled me in. Also, I don't want to come off as a perv but the lack of GoT style sexual elements made the season feel a bit neutered. Or maybe it's a question of the palpable xerox copying of season one which plays into that feeling of mine, more on that later. Still there was a lack of a definite atmosphere which made most of the show pop in season one but here was far more generic feeling. And I mean REALLY generic. SyFy series that gets canceled in season one generic. Nothing looked cheap mind you but... it felt a lot less refined and elegant, right down to production design and VFX. Nothing was terrible but it felt less textured all around. The mysteries this season also felt far less well done too. Did any of us really not know from the jump that the governor' dad was taken out by her in some fashion or that this was going to be about what the planet's first colonists did to something they found on world once they arrived? And this is a real issue with that pacing because since we as the audience had figured this out almost from the jump... three to four episodes where the characters are piecing it together isn't all that compelling or at least here it made it drag or at least made reveals far less impactful.

I have mentioned this before but a huge issue in fact that all around this felt like an inferior retread of season one. And it didn't have to be. I have not read the novels, so I am not really invested in fealty to source material, so I don't know if this was keeping with the books, but a second season of AC maybe should have tried to slip on an entirely different identity. We are decades from where we lady left the show, out in space on a colonized world... DO SOMETHING WITH THAT! Instead it all felt like it may have well taken place in the Bay City of the first season. This is where the toned down sex and violence from the season one actually would have been okay if another style of presenting it all had been what they did. I mean... a whole planet practically cut off from the rest of it's "empire" via alien planetary defenses... Maybe things visually and in terms of culture should or could be very different. Go nuts with the setting, make things stand out in comparison to the first season. But... Nope. Thus, the aping of the general tone of season one while toning down the stylistic choices makes things feel wan and undercooked.

Ending somewhat positive, I will say I was impressed with how it all ended if for nothing else on first glance I thought it portends a radical shift in the show... Only to have them obviously not do that. Killing Kovacs and setting Falconer out into the universe with OG Kovacs as her inside man on Harlan's world and just going with that next season would have been a brace choice. Maybe make the series less about Tak and more about the wider universe. Follow Faconer next season and pass the torch again after or follow Lee's Kovacs going through his own evolution and play with questions of identity that way... But the ending of the season leaves no doubt what they are going to do next, spin Tak up for another adventure. Which... I get. I love Tak. But they fumbled this season a bit, enough to open my mind to the idea of the show without it's original and compelling central character... I think that alone tell you they dropped the ball this time.

Surprised at the negative reactions, not started this just yet as finishing up a few other shows, but will be getting to it eventually.

I just wish that they would have adapted the second book in the series instead of trying to come up with something original. Sure, they would have had to change somethings around due to the changes they made to the first book in season 1 but I still think book 2 could have made for a great story line.

I just wish that they would have adapted the second book in the series instead of trying to come up with something original. Sure, they would have had to change somethings around due to the changes they made to the first book in season 1 but I still think book 2 could have made for a great story line.
what happens in book 2

Approximately 30 years after Altered Carbon, Takeshi Kovacs is now serving in Carrera's Wedge, a mercenary organization that joins a war on a distant planet, Sanction IV, fighting against an anti-corporate-government rebel group. Pilot Jan Schneider recruits Kovacs to help him lay claim to a buried Martian artifact. The artifact is a gate that opens a portal to a Martian starship. Kovacs and Schneider rescue Tanya Wardani, the archaeologue who coordinated the gate's discovery, from a prison camp. Unable to reach the heavily contested location alone, Kovacs enlists the support of the Mandrake Corporation, one of the corporate entities profiteering off of the war. Mandrake is represented by an executive named Matthias Hand.

Kovacs and Hand select an elite squad of resurrected soldiers to accompany them. Hand secretly leaks information that prompts the rebels to drop nuclear bombs on the city of Sauberville. This clears the gate site of opposing forces, and the recovery expedition begins. However, the radiation severely damages the team's bodies, and they must work against the clock to find the ship before dying of radiation poisoning. While Wardani works to open the gate, someone sabotages the beacons necessary to claim the starship. Two expedition members are killed by nanodes sent by Hand's rivals within the Mandrake firm.

The party goes through the portal and finds an inactive Martian starship, along with the bodies of Tanya's original archaeologue team. Mysteriously, it appears that the original team chose to die in space rather than inside the breathable air of the spaceship. Suspecting that Schneider is the saboteur, Kovacs confronts him. Schneider flees in the shuttle they arrived in, triggering a booby trap set by Kovacs and blowing the shuttle up.

During their exploration, the Martian starship is attacked by an unknown starship, which causes its automated defense systems to come online. During the attack the party begins to experience visions and emotions from the dead Martians, bringing them to the brink of insanity. Hand realises the danger and orders Kovacs to shoot the others with a stunning weapon to render them unconscious.

After the battle is over, Isaac Carrera and a Wedge unit arrive and imprison the remaining members of the squad. One member of Kovac's squad, Sutjiadi, is wanted for mutiny. The Wedge opts to torture him to death. During this public execution, Kovacs frees his squad and kills the Wedge unit. Kovacs then follows Carrera through the portal and kills him.

Kovacs realises that Tanya Wardani sabotaged the first archaeological team after discovering that they wanted to use the Martian ship as a weapon. She was responsible for the bodies they found, as well as the destroyed equipment in the shuttle. She decides to stay and oversee the recovery of the portal. Kovacs trades the rights to the Martian ship for safe passage out of the solar system for the surviving members of his team.

The book's a little slow to start (it's also quite a dramatic shift in setting from Altered Carbon, basically Apocalypse Now in space compared to the established Blade Runner aesthetic) but it's my personal favorite of the series. It's a shame the third book was sort of a misfire and didn't live up to its potential.

Last edited:
This is a big issue for me. The concept has an inherent need to do something different each time out. They had the perfect reasoning to make season two look and feel different in important ways that would make perfect sense in universe but they delivered a poor copy of season one and with out the stylistic touches of the first season.

I finished the second season. Didn't think it was as bad others have felt. I just thought it was ok.

Different Kovacs and vibes were expected, so I wasn't too bothered by the chances. Not has much of a noir vibe this time around. I felt this Kovacs was a little bit more hopeful now that Quell was actually around. Like you can clearly see how Kovacs was has changed over the years given his experiences.

I finished the 2nd season less than 2 weeks ago and have already forgotten most of it. I can't think of a single notable thing about it. I was lukewarm on S1 - I found it to be a rather generic mishmash of go-to sci-fi tropes with a bland lead in Kinnaman, but entertaining enough to keep my interest for S2. And I liked Poe. S2 was the same, but lost the entertainment value, and even Poe lost some (but not all!) charm. And they really need to let go of Falconer/Kovacs. The actress playing Falconer feels like even more of a miscast than Mackie did, and their grand romance is not remotely compelling to me. I was more invested in Kovacs and Poe's relationship than that one, tbh. So yeah, not really sure I'll be bothering with S3 atm.

I finished the 2nd season less than 2 weeks ago and have already forgotten most of it. I can't think of a single notable thing about it. I was lukewarm on S1 - I found it to be a rather generic mishmash of go-to sci-fi tropes with a bland lead in Kinnaman, but entertaining enough to keep my interest for S2. And I liked Poe. S2 was the same, but lost the entertainment value, and even Poe lost some (but not all!) charm. And they really need to let go of Falconer/Kovacs. The actress playing Falconer feels like even more of a miscast than Mackie did, and their grand romance is not remotely compelling to me. I was more invested in Kovacs and Poe's relationship than that one, tbh. So yeah, not really sure I'll be bothering with S3 atm.

I adored the firs season... But yeah any enthusiasm I had for a third season is just nil at this point.

I watched the CGI film. It was ok, but nothing of importance other than a little backstory of what happened to Takeshi before the events of Season 1.

Yeah I just got done watching the animated movie and honestly I really enjoyed it. Sure you can do a lot more with a property in the animated format, but man it's almost like light and day between the two as far as pacing and coherency goes. So much more style and energy in the animated film too compared to Season 2 not to mention the action is just beautifully choreographed throughout and gory as hell. I especially loved how brutal yet satisfying the end fight was. The only thing that was lacking was definitely a little bit of backstory on Takeshi, but other than that I'd love to see this become a new self contained Netflix series.

Just finished the 2nd season, and I really don’t get the hate against or Mackie for that matter. I enjoyed it and having Quell alive and the reasons for it I found interesting. I also thought the way things ended was quite heartbreaking and then that last scene with AI’s and what one of them managed to do I thought was great.

As for Mackie, I liked him in the role. No, he wasn’t the same as Kinnaman, or even as good, but this Kovacs was a lot more hopeful and determined seeing as a certain woman was around, so the performance would have been different anyway, and I thought in the final episodes Mackie came into his own in the role. I am still well on board for season 3.

Not surprising at all.

Season one wasnt even all that great. It had a guilty pleasure vibe to it which made it watchable. I stopped altogether after the first ep of season two though lol

Man, disappointed at this news for sure, really enjoyed both seasons personally, and the premise was great.

Netflix is increasingly becoming just another network with quick to cancel buttons on series that don't perform to some standard, despite their insistence on not being like them. The only difference is once they cancel a series it is still possible to watch all of the episodes whenever you want.

Yeah, I'm not surprised about it. I liked Season 2 more than most, but could already see Netflix not continuing the show given the general reaction.

I'd bet this is more a result of Covid than anything else. For the foreseeable future entertainment producers are going to be less forgiving and lenient. Shows with middling success and low buzz that would have been kept alive in normal times will be axed.

They said the cost of the seasons is too high to the ratings it was getting. Which I sort of get but I also remember them saying ratings were not as important to them as they would be for traditional television.

Then they go and cancel a bunch of shows after 2-3 seasons because they want to churn their subscriber rates more.

Aw well. I've been meaning to check this out. But yeah the buzz was never there. I rarely heard of any talking about it.

But as some point out Netflix is getting real trigger happy with the 2-3 season shows. Which would be fine if show creators knew that going in. I'm still veeeeeeeery salty they canceled American Vandal

Aw well. I've been meaning to check this out. But yeah the buzz was never there. I rarely heard of any talking about it.

But as some point out Netflix is getting real trigger happy with the 2-3 season shows. Which would be fine if show creators knew that going in. I'm still veeeeeeeery salty they canceled American Vandal

American Vandal was pretty great, especially the second season. I would have been curious about a Season 3, but Season 2 was quite a drop in quality compared to the first season and I haven't heard anyone talk about the show, so I'm guessing buzz was pretty low. I expect Netflix to being doing a lot more in this in the future, especially if its about sinking some serious money into these newer shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"