• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Amazon's Rings of Power - General Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Has anyone ever wondered about a sequel storyline to LOTR? I know Tolkien considered it and wrote some notes but it was never completed. Apart of me thinks Tolkien didn't pursue it for a reason, but I think there's potential.
It would break my heart if there was a sequel but it would be entirely indicative of what direction Hollywood is pointed in.

A sequel series wouldn't bother me, but then I'm not concerned with source accuracy or treating the first trilogy as sacred and untouchable. I'm just taking this stuff as it comes.

A sequel series wouldn't bother me, but then I'm not concerned with source accuracy or treating the first trilogy as sacred and untouchable. I'm just taking this stuff as it comes.
My problem there is that if want carte blanche on an approach, then you might as well choose original content.

Why should the legacy of something like LOTR, or the love of the fandom, be put at risk for something that is only using it for name recognition?

It's not about source accuracy moreso trusting someone to treat a property of this size with due respect.

It would break my heart if there was a sequel but it would be entirely indicative of what direction Hollywood is pointed in.

I think if it were done like how Amazon might treat this or a Disney treat their franchises then I wouldn't want it either. It would get out of control. But in a perfect world, if a good writer or director came in and had an idea for a story and was passionate about it, then I could be open. It's pretty slim, but just for the sake of exploration, it's sort of fun to think about.

I think the key is to not match Sauron or try to top that. ROTK was like the war to end all wars in Middle-Earth. You can't get worse than Sauron. So I think instead of trying to tell another epic story, you go more personal as a start.

I’m happy with what the Appendixes detail about the world after Return of the King. The Lord of the Rings is one of those stories which, once completed, leaves me feeling at peace. That should remain the end point. If it’s not from Tolkien himself it doesn’t have any meaning to me. The Hobbit satisfies my desire for something smaller scale though still important.

I didn't find out this was in the works until today. I don't know how that slipped past me.

You could do a LotR sequel series but I don't think it would be very compelling for most viewers unless they completely invented a story that's not in Tolkien about some epic clash after the end of LotR. What happens as Tolkien describes it is mostly just the fading of the Third Age into the world as we know it.

I think this TV show probably picked the right time frame to focus on. There is a lot in the Second Age around Sauron and Numenor that could make for something great. Whether they pull it off is the big question.

I don't have much hype for the show but since they are still shooting and we haven't seen a thing from it nor even know who any of the cast are playing (except for maybe Morfydd Clark as Galadriel), yeah, it just feels too far away to care at the moment. Once Amazon starts bothering to promote it and actually share some details, then I imagine interest will rise.

I think this TV show probably picked the right time frame to focus on. There is a lot in the Second Age around Sauron and Numenor that could make for something great. Whether they pull it off is the big question.

It's a good call for sure. It's a whole different time to explore that can allow for different designs while also making sense to reuse their NZ locations. And there's so much cool stuff to see; Sauron as the fair manipulator, the reign and fall of Numenor, the forging of the rings of power, the emergence of the Ringwraiths, turning Minus Ithil into Minus Morgal, the war of the ring from FOTR's prologue and all the battles prior.

Still have no idea what to expect from this. Considering this era is more a list of king's names than it is of characters, I wouldn't mind something like a historical anthology show. Otherwise I could see something set near the end of Numenor, with its shady king and Sauron as his poisonous advisor, with the inevitable doom looming over them. Game of Thrones, basically.

I’m happy with what the Appendixes detail about the world after Return of the King. The Lord of the Rings is one of those stories which, once completed, leaves me feeling at peace. That should remain the end point. If it’s not from Tolkien himself it doesn’t have any meaning to me. The Hobbit satisfies my desire for something smaller scale though still important.

Yeah. Tolkien himself took a short stab at a follow up story in the 4th age and abandoned it. For whatever reason, I think he felt that the end of the 3rd age was the appropriate place to stop. The elves left Middle Earth, magic faded and the last link to the Third Age ended with The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen. The Akallabêth seems okay, but I would have started from the very beginning with the Ainulindalë, Valaquenta, and Quenta Silmarillion. I think the stories are more interesting because they are more fleshed out. It would certainly be more challenging for those very reasons and I'm not interesting in seeing those stories changed. I think they only got permission for the 2nd age though.....sigh.....

When all is said and done, I would like to see the battle of Dagor Dagorath and the death of Morgoth at the hand of Túrin.

I'd love an animated film of The Silmarillion in the same vein as Fantasia.

I'm no Tolkien expert. Is anything mentioned about Treebeard and the Ents after the ends of ROTK?

I'd love an animated film of The Silmarillion in the same vein as Fantasia.

You mean like whenthe hippo and aligator were dancing?

I really just hope they show us some BTS photos or something. We are all so hungry for a peak.

I'm no Tolkien expert. Is anything mentioned about Treebeard and the Ents after the ends of ROTK?
Not that I can remember. My belief is that the Ents eventually became so treelike you couldn't tell them from trees or Huorns. Treebeard himself strongly hints at this in his preparations before the siege of Isengard.

Not that I can remember. My belief is that the Ents eventually became so treelike you couldn't tell them from trees or Huorns. Treebeard himself strongly hints at this in his preparations before the siege of Isengard.
Thank you. I appreciate your knowledge.

Thank you. I appreciate your knowledge.

Glad to help. You're talking to someone who has memorized family trees of Men, Elves, Hobbits, and even some of Durin's House. I can also usually translate most names and words from Elvish languages. I've been a Tolkien nerd for an embarrassingly long time. If you'd like to check out my Tolkien book collection, see:

A Room with a View – The World of J.R.R. Tolkien

So apparently there has been three major injuries filming this. Others which have been undisclosed. The set sounds completely unsafe and like it should be shutdown immediately.

Man, I was eagerly anticipating the show, but it isn’t worth it if more than one person gets injured.
I understand that injuries are apart of the job. Even with the highest safety standards, something will happen. But the consistency, the fear of a stunt coordinator, and Amazon trying to avoid disclosing injuries. That's just way beyond the point of reasonable.

Last edited:
Wonder if they’ll delay filming again because of these problems.

Amazon is in hot water now!

Wonder if they’ll delay filming again because of these problems.

Amazon is in hot water now!
I wonder if this is why they have been trying so hard to avoid disclosing this. To avoid shutdown. They gave one stunt woman 500k, but said it was so she could get back to Australia and settle without issue, and it wasn't admission of fault. Someone left do to mental health concerns. That's how bad it is apparently.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"