American Gangster-News/Pics/posters/trailers thread

loved this movie. Crowe was amazing and Denzel was awesome, really made Frank Lucas likeable and let you understand how he could have so much influence over others. i really bought his power and his code of ethics. great flick, really terrific.

Good movie! It was no Carlito's Way(my favorite gangster film) but it was definitely decent. I gave it a 9.

awesome film,

denzel and russell really knock this one out of the park!

and its a big box office smash too, well deserved,

its about time denzel and russell have another big hit, and this is it.

i think this movie will make over $150 million just from domestic alone, which is absolutely amazing for a gangster movie!

Go Denzel and Russell!

Really good movie. One of four movies this year that I gave a perfect score to. I absolutely loved it when [blackout]at the end, Frank walked out of the church and saw Ritchie waiting for him. The whole scene with 'Amazing Grace' playing in the background was great.[/blackout]

Really good movie. One of four movies this year that I gave a perfect score to. I absolutely loved it when [blackout]at the end, Frank walked out of the church and saw Ritchie waiting for him. The whole scene with 'Amazing Grace' playing in the background was great.[/blackout]
Definetly the best scene in the movie:up:

Are there any history buffs that can tell us how accurate this film was? That was something I was curious about.

Are there any history buffs that can tell us how accurate this film was? That was something I was curious about.

From what I read Frank Lucas embelished most of his stories....that was what I saw at least on the documentaries.

Great Movie. I give it a 9. Denzel and Crowe gave Oscar worthy perfromance. i also like Brolin and Ruby Dee performance in this ....hope they get supporting actor award considerations.

what do u want to know?

Well, mostly just how accurate the portrayals of Frank and Richie were. I mean, did Frank really shoot a man in the middle of the street and get away with it? Was Richie really going through a divorce as he was trailing Frank. Basically what was added into the movie to make it more hollywood and what was real.

I saw the movie this weekend. It was really good. I liked it a lot.

Maybe I m the only one who was not that impressed. I gave an 8 but honestly I wanted to give 7.5/10. Denzel and Russel did a good job but the movie it self was really ''normal'' nothing to be trilled about. I though it would be at the level of scarface with a lot of violence and suspense but instead it was very slow nothing really going on. But since it s a based on a true story I understand they could not exaggerate they had to stay in reallity it s just to bad...

Frank Lucas likes to think of himself as just a plain ol' businessman—an entrepreneur filling a free-market niche. He buys his product direct, cuts out the middleman and passes the savings on to his customers: His product is twice as good at half the price.
Only one problem: His product is heroin.
Frank doesn't use the stuff himself, of course. For him, it's just a conduit to an outsized American Dream—one that allows him to buy a house for his mother, take care of his family and get great seats at championship boxing matches. More than anything, though, Frank craves respect, just as much as his customers crave the "Blue Magic" he sells. And in 1970s New York, there's little to stop a motivated hustler like Frank from making a buck. The police don't want to put guys like him away—they just want part of the cut. Right?
The exception is Richie Roberts, a flawed cop with an honest streak. He's been tapped to head a New Jersey vice squad to crack down on the region's biggest drug dealers. At first, he figures he'll have to tackle the mafia to do it. But then Richie sees Frank stride into Madison Square Garden for a premiere boxing event with a chinchilla coat and ringside tickets—better than the city's known Italian crime lords. It looks like New York's found a new don.

American Gangster is based on the real life of Frank Lucas, who spent 15 years behind bars. But Denzel Washington's Frank seems to be a far cry from the real deal: Onscreen, Frank is erudite, mannered and reasonably reserved. Real-life Lucas claims, in a 2005 New York Magazine story, that he never went to school even for a day and owned 100 garish, custom-made suits. Forget the principles Frank spews in the film, Lucas says he was in it for the money.

One thing they share, though. They're very likeable characters.
"People like me," Lucas told New York Magazine. "People like the f--- out of me."
Indeed. During a family get-together in the film, Frank sits down with a young cousin of his—a natural athlete with a 95-mile-an-hour fastball—and asks him why he didn't attend a tryout with the New York Yankees that he set up for him. The cousin tells him that he doesn't want to be a ball player anymore.
"I want to be you," he says.
And that's just the problem inherent with films like American Gangster. Frank, played with a ferocious dignity that could only be delivered by Washington, is a character folks want to be like. He's rebel cool, and the hero worship began even before the film was released: On his upcoming album called (surprise!) American Gangster, rapper Jay-Z stresses the similarities between himself and Frank. His song "No Hook" reportedly contains the line, "Please don't compare me to other rappers/Compare me to trappers/I'm more Frank Lucas than Ludacris." Such is life. If being bad wasn't appealing, nobody would be. American Gangster tries to remind us that Frank is spreading a huge evil—its depictions of heroin users are tragic. What it ends up doing, though, is allowing evil to seduce through this character.

What do you guys think? Does this movie almost glory Frank Lucas?

This guy was a monster. Yet you do start to feel some small admiration for his intellect etc.....

And to hear that Public Enemy Anthem at the end (cant truss it)?? What was that all about??

What do you guys think? Does this movie almost glory Frank Lucas?

This guy was a monster. Yet you do start to feel some small admiration for his intellect etc.....

And to hear that Public Enemy Anthem at the end (cant truss it)?? What was that all about??

He is dangerous and he is a real monster! Going as far as Vietnam than to come back and to kill his own blood! He even took his own family who was living well in the suburbs now they are all in jail. A guy like that should stay for a live sentences. Denzel is cool but not Frank!

The Scarface comparisons kill me. Scarface is a terrible film. Not saying American Gangster is the greatest flick ever...but compared to Scarface? It's a masterpiece.

He is dangerous and he is a real monster! Going as far as Vietnam than to come back and to kill his own blood! He even took his own family who was living well in the suburbs now they are all in jail. A guy like that should stay for a live sentences. Denzel is cool but not Frank!

I can't believe that cat is out of jail. I saw him on tv last week...totally unrepentant for what he did to his people........ scumbag.

Dude served his time for crimes he committed. Now that he's out, he's free to feel whatever he likes. That may make him a scumbag but he did what he did and has paid the price.

Dude served his time for crimes he committed. Now that he's out, he's free to feel whatever he likes. That may make him a scumbag but he did what he did and has paid the price.

A price yes? Yes. But not a fair one. He killed thousands from that Blue Magic garbage! Thousands.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"