American Sports- How global are they?

Here in the states, Rugby has a connotation of being something that bro dudes and frat boys play when they don't make the football team. Basically the way a lot of europeans feel about gridiron is the same way we feel about Rugby......and I don't see Rugby games being played in the US, but I see NFL games being played in London...
We actually toured to large crowds a few years ago. The second rate England counties 15 are touring in June.

We actually toured to large crowds a few years ago. The second rate England counties 15 are touring in June.

It probably just isn't being covered by our sports media that much....the Rugby union here in the US has about 60,000 registered players, 20,000 of which are HS students. Like I said, its the sport that picks up the players that aren't strong or fast enough for football and are not skilled enough for baseball or soccer.

It probably just isn't being covered by our sports media that much....the Rugby union here in the US has about 60,000 registered players, 20,000 of which are HS students. Like I said, its the sport that picks up the players that aren't strong or fast enough for football and are not skilled enough for baseball or soccer.

Fair enough. It's a shame really. Some of the freaks in the world game would fascinate your country I think. In particular the south sea islanders. Samoans are scary!

It's like, I guess, how we see all the padding in Gridiron as uneeded. Especially considering rugby has some much more violent aspects.

No, it isn't there is a reason why American Football wears padding Look it up..actually the only major protection is the helmet other than that hockey players wear a lot more padding. Also rugby is different, it is a side to side sport where as American football is north and south directions.

I don't understand why you guys are only into Rugby at Private schools and some Colleges.... I truly believe it is the best game in the world. It is much more brutal than Gridiron.

False...

If that's true why does the US always kick-ass in the olympics then.

as an American, I can't co-sign that fully. Some events we are good at and some we get spanked at. The hockey team has really stunk it up and our basketball team has motivated the rest of the world to get better.

as an American, I can't co-sign that fully. Some events we are good at and some we get spanked at. The hockey team has really stunk it up and our basketball team has motivated the rest of the world to get better.

I was talking about overall we end up with the most medals at the end, not just one or two sports. Winter Olympics we do a good job, but the summer Olympics we usually roll.

I am excited for the soccer matches during 2012 Summer Olympics in London....should be quite interesting to see olympic soccer(football) in a football crazy nation.

I was talking about overall we end up with the most medals at the end, not just one or two sports. Winter Olympics we do a good job, but the summer Olympics we usually roll.

The total Summer Olympic medal count for the US is 2191, which is top of the list....the Soviet Union is in second place with 1010 (and they aren't even around anymore)

Why do American sports teams claim that they're the World Champions, when the only other country that they may have played against is Canada?

Because the best players in the world are on the competing teams. The best players of all countries
compete in American sports, what's that tell you?

America is just doing it's own thing, isn't our fault that you all can stop gawking.

I have to agree...let's take a look at the prevalent examples....the NFL is playing games overseas because there was demand from the fans, MLB opened its season in Japan because of fan demand as well...I don't agree with playing regular season games outside of the US, but if there is a demand then so be it....

The total Summer Olympic medal count for the US is 2191, which is top of the list....the Soviet Union is in second place with 1010 (and they aren't even around anymore)

wow i thought Chine would be 2nd, man that isnt even close.

Seriously the olympics are of little interest to most nations. It's team sports which we enjoy. I think we are fascinated by American sports, at least in the sense we don't see tham as of any global importance.

Seriously the olympics are of little interest to most nations. It's team sports which we enjoy. I think we are fascinated by American sports, at least in the sense we don't see tham as of any global importance.

But that fascination is whats causing the professional American teams to travel abroad, I'm not seeing the Melbourne Storm(Rugby) or Liverepool (English Premiere League) playing matches over here.....or if they have, no one is covering it.

Interesting you mention The Premiership. Fifa has banned this type of thing because it dilutes the league.

http://www.epltalk.com/fifa-rejects-39th-game-proposal

As football is already global why do it?

This is the distinction between club and international sports you Americans don't get. Because let's be honest you don't really have competative international team sports.

Interesting you mention The Premiership. Fifa has banned this type of thing because it dilutes the league.

http://www.epltalk.com/fifa-rejects-39th-game-proposal

As football is already global why do it?

This is the distinction between club and international sports you Americans don't get. Because let's be honest you don't really have competative international team sports.

That is extremely one-sided...it's just more of the international football community showing their disdain for the US' attempts to try and grow popularity for the sport here in the states. If the rest of the world doesn't want to play with us, why should we be bending over backwards to compete in the international sporting community? We are doing just fine with 4 major sports and a hugely successful university sports enterprise. Whirly, I don't think you care about the spirit of competition at all, you just want to see the US get beat down in football, rugby, and cricket so you can sit in your ivory tower and feel you were proven right. as for it "diluting the league"....whatever happened to engendering goodwill and trying to do something for the fans?? I'm sure if the Premiership teams toured here in the US, even in an exhibition capacity, it would go over very well and would bring more fans into the sport.

That is extremely one-sided...it's just more of the international football community showing their disdain for the US' attempts to try and grow popularity for the sport here in the states. If the rest of the world doesn't want to play with us, why should we be bending over backwards to compete in the international sporting community? We are doing just fine with 4 major sports and a hugely successful university sports enterprise. Whirly, I don't think you care about the spirit of competition at all, you just want to see the US get beat down in football, rugby, and cricket so you can sit in your ivory tower and feel you were proven right.

No, I don't want the US to get a beat down at all. I admit I sometimes wind you yanks up about your isolationist sporting policy and quaint provincial sports. Seriously, I would love to see you take part. We do occasionally tour North America to packed out houses. That's the thing if Liverpool did go to the U.S. it wouldn't need the media to play to a packed house.

No, I don't want the US to get a beat down at all. I admit I sometimes wind you yanks up about your isolationist sporting policy and quaint provincial sports. Seriously, I would love to see you take part. We do occasionally tour North America to packed out houses. That's the thing if Liverpool did go to the U.S. it wouldn't need the media to play to a packed house.

That is my point...if Liverpool played even an exhibition game I think it would be go over quite well and I was able to go I would. here in the states, playing to a packed house isn't enough though, its getting a big audience watching from home as well so sponsors and advertisers can make some money as well. your usage of the term "quaint" tells me that you consider our sports here less than when that isn't the case at all, they are just different. I don't understand rugby or cricket at all, but I realize that they are big outside the US. Truthfully, I think cricket has no redeeming value whatsoever, I think it gets played simply out of obligation to tradition....thats' just my opinion though.

That is my point...if Liverpool played even an exhibition game I think it would be go over quite well and I was able to go I would. here in the states, playing to a packed house isn't enough though, its getting a big audience watching from home as well so sponsors and advertisers can make some money as well. your usage of the term "quaint" tells me that you consider our sports here less than when that isn't the case at all, they are just different. I don't understand rugby or cricket at all, but I realize that they are big outside the US. Truthfully, I think cricket has no redeeming value whatsoever, I think it gets played simply out of obligation to tradition....thats' just my opinion though.

I have stated before I am no Cricket fan. However, I do understand it's appeal. It is the nearest game to war played over 5 days. No mainstream sport has ever at times been played like this, except cricket.

http://www.btinternet.com/~warney/bodyline/main.htm

I would never field at a position like silly point... you are a few yards away in front of the batsman. It's insane. Again like most of our sports it's far more brutal than the american counterpart.

I have stated before I am no Cricket fan. However, I do understand it's appeal. It is the nearest game to war played over 5 days. No mainstream sport has ever at times been played like this, except cricket.

http://www.btinternet.com/~warney/bodyline/main.htm

I would never field at a position like silly point... you are a few yards away in front of the batsman. It's insane. Again like most of our sports it's far more brutal than the american counterpart.

I dont agree....

a baseball is fairly solid...as for being hit less hard....on a sad note, we had a third base coach killed by a line drive last season....depending on the type of hit a flying baseball can cause some damage...

a baseball is fairly solid...as for being hit less hard....on a sad note, we had a third base coach killed by a line drive last season....depending on the type of hit a flying baseball can cause some damage...

It's always sad when that sort of thing happens. Why does the third base need a coach?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"