American Sports- How global are they?

It's always sad when that sort of thing happens. Why does the third base need a coach?

to watch the field of play and to either release or hold the runner, as the runner cannot see the field of play behind him..

? These are not barbs. They are observations.

I have no plan. I just find it strange a competitive nation, only competes within itself. Don't you?

There really isn't a demand for it. No one is waiting on the edge of their seat to see the Red Sox play a Japanese team, or the Giants or Patriots play one of the Euro league **** teams, no one wants to see it. I remember the baseball classic a few years back, it was basically the world cup of baseball, no one really gave a **** about it in America, not the players, of whom were bowing out of it left and right, and not the fans.

to watch the field of play and to either release or hold the runner, as the runner cannot see the field of play behind him..

I see... Again though it's another game where the players "skill" is dependant on the strategies od another whilst playing the game. Can't the player just "play" instinctively in your sports?

There really isn't a demand for it. No one is waiting on the edge of their seat to see the Red Sox play a Japanese team, or the Giants or Patriots play one of the Euro league **** teams, no one wants to see it. I remember the baseball classic a few years back, it was basically the world cup of baseball, no one really gave a **** about it in America, not the players, of whom were bowing out of it left and right, and not the fans.

Which I repeat is strange for a competitive nation. Not wishing to play the world on a level playing field.

They play instinctively in all American sports. Not sure where your confusion is coming from.

They play instinctively in all American sports. Not sure where your confusion is coming from.

I don't know, the need for timeouts, different teams for different situtions. The short periods so tactics can be changed. The need for numerous coaches actually give players instructions throughout the game.. etc. etc.

I'm not going to pretend like I know how cricket is played and undercut the skill of cricket players, so it's not really helping your cause out by saying stuff like that when you don't really know the workings of American sports because it's apparent you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

I'm not going to pretend like I know how cricket is played and undercut the skill of cricket players, so it's not really helping your cause out by saying stuff like that when you don't really know the workings of American sports because it's apparent you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Sure, sure... If you read back, I said I didn't know, they were just observations. Relax mate.

Anyway, no padding required!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc0Ut5y-GRc&feature=related

The guy calling himself the fridge is taking the piss particularly if you read the end credits. ;)

Wait a second. Yeah I remember you now. You're the same guy who puts Mike Tyson over Michael Jordan as being one of the greatest sportsmen of our time. I guess this thread shouldn't surprise me then.

Wait a second. Yeah I remember you now. You're the same guy who puts Mike Tyson over Michael Jordan as being one of the greatest sportsmen of our time. I guess this thread shouldn't surprise me then.

I never said that.... I just said basketball isn't as global as boxing and.. It isn't. When you have a competitive world championship it will be... Like that's ever going to happen.:yay:

And I never argued that it was. I only argued that Jordan was one of greatest sportsmen of all time (to me he is the greatest), and you put Tyson on that list before Jordan, actually you didn't mention him at all when you started the thread.

And I never argued that it was. I only argued that Jordan was one of greatest sportsmen of all time (to me he is the greatest), and you put Tyson on that list before Jordan, actually you didn't mention him at all when you started the thread.

The title was most recognisable. Jordan is not as recognisable as Tyson worldwide... Partially due to Tysons infamy. I know what the start post of that thread asked, as it was my thread. No, I didn't mention Jordan because, he simply is not that recgnisable in comparisin. If you dropped Jordan in a field in the middle of France. People who came across him might think this extemely tall black man looks athletic. If you did the same to Tyson people would think Christ I recognise this pitbull like guy with the really scary tattoo; It's that loony Mike Tyson!

I see... Again though it's another game where the players "skill" is dependant on the strategies od another whilst playing the game. Can't the player just "play" instinctively in your sports?

Baseball is a team sport...things like base coaches are there to ensure the team wins....Pitchers rely on catchers and players at bat are usually left to their own devices except in certain situations....

Baseball is a team sport...things like base coaches are there to ensure the team wins....Pitchers rely on catchers and players at bat are usually left to their own devices except in certain situations....

That's another thing we just don't get the involvement of coaches to players on the field.We have team Captains for that. The players play....

Anyway moving on.....

We aso don't get the padding thing. This is why!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc0Ut5y-GRc&feature=related

Which I repeat is strange for a competitive nation. Not wishing to play the world on a level playing field.

The popular opinion is that there is no reason to....we have 4 major sports with a number of foreign born players in each one....even in Nascar and open wheel more and more foreign drivers are coming to the US to compete...and what is easily the most famous golf tournament in the world (The Masters) happens this week in Georgia...The British Open is probably the second most popular

The popular opinion is that there is no reason to....we have 4 major sports with a number of foreign born players in each one....even in Nascar and open wheel more and more foreign drivers are coming to the US to compete...and what is easily the most famous golf tournament in the world (The Masters) happens this week in Georgia...The British Open is probably the second most popular

I'm watching Liverpool Vs. Arsenal as we speak. Many of the players are non British.... We still look to the World Cup etc...
Yeah, you guys love the Ryder Cup... Come On, play with us you can use our ball!

The Ryder Cup is OK....there are 3 or 4 tournaments I really like to watch The Masters, The US Open, the British Open, and Dubai....The British Open is in royal birkdale this year so I'll might watch the last round...

The title was most recognisable. Jordan is not as recognisable as Tyson worldwide... Partially due to Tysons infamy. I know what the start post of that thread asked, as it was my thread. No, I didn't mention Jordan because, he simply is not that recgnisable in comparisin. If you dropped Jordan in a field in the middle of France. People who came across him might think this extemely tall black man looks athletic. If you did the same to Tyson people would think Christ I recognise this pitbull like guy with the really scary tattoo; It's that loony Mike Tyson!

Either you were living under a rock when Jordan played or you weren't born yet.

The Ryder Cup is OK....there are 3 or 4 tournaments I really like to watch The Masters, The US Open, the British Open, and Dubai....The British Open is in royal birkdale this year so I'll might watch the last round...

I also watch many of those....

As I say I just don't understand this need only to compete internally. It's weird! No offense intended. Arsenal have just scored... I may go to the pub for the second half!

I was born before you I suspect, but, that's not the point. The point is in Europe, no one cared. No one plays basketball no matter what you want to think.

well considering Whirly doesn't live in the US and back when Jordan was playing the NBA, even the game of basketball, wasn't as global as it is now, I see his point.

well considering Whirly doesn't live in the US and back when Jordan was playing the NBA, even the game of basketball, wasn't as global as it is now, I see his point.

Truthfully it still isn't global. A few hundred thousand watch NBA games here on Channell 4 and Setanta.

I also watch many of those....

As I say I just don't understand this need only to compete internally. It's weird! No offense intended. Arsenal have just scored... I may go to the pub for the second half!

We do have a very big and very diverse country....300 million plus....it works for us

I was born before you I suspect, but, that's not the point. The point is in Europe, no one cared. No one plays basketball no matter what you want to think.

I'm not saying he started a basketball craze in Europe, though he did introduce the game of basketball internationally, the point was Jordan was/is known worldwide, whether people are fans of basketball or not.

Truthfully it still isn't global. A few hundred thousand watch NBA games here on Channell 4 and Setanta.

but there are professional leagues in China, Italy, and other European nations...the NBA has a lot of foreign born players...guys from Croatia, China, Russia, Ukraine, France, Canada, so on and so forth

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"