American Sports- How global are they?

We do have a very big and very diverse country....300 million plus....it works for us

I understand that but.. Thats only the size of Britain, France, Germany, Spain and Italy. The European Championship is massive by comparision!

I'm not saying he started a basketball craze in Europe, though he did introduce the game of basketball internationally, the point was Jordan was/is known worldwide, whether people are fans of basketball or not.

The point is Boxing is popular everywhere for example. Jordans face was not known in Europe in the same way any heavyweight champion would be.

its also about being cost effective....it would cost a ton of money to send teams, equipment, and all that gallivanting around Europe and or Asia

its also about being cost effective....it would cost a ton of money to send teams, equipment, and all that gallivanting around Europe and or Asia

South America! I mean Argentina are great at Rugby. Most South Americans are great at Football. Off to watch the second half, cya mat.

Sidebar: Jerry no one disputes Jordans skills. What I do dispute is the audience of Basketball.

:)

The role of the US in world sport seems curious to me. America does not really value international competition in sport; Rather than playing the dominant sports in the rest of the world, the US of A plays it's own. The most popular team sports in the world Association Football and Cricket are hardly played in the US.

Although I usually would not quote Wiki, this article is excellent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_in_the_United_States

So why doesn't America compete with the rest of the World properly?

Let's thrash this out!

Is Cricket even THAT huge... I guess some European countries like England play it... who else? Its pretty much centralized in the middle east/India and southern pacific countries... maybe a few countries in Africa. Where else? Baseball is slightly behind that... Rugby? Its like the same thing as cricket. Obviously they are more popular world wide than baseball and football... but outside those core countries everyone else could care less.

Is Cricket even THAT huge... I guess some European countries like England play it... who else? Its pretty much centralized in the middle east/India and southern pacific countries... maybe a few countries in Africa. Where else? Baseball is slightly behind that... Rugby? Its like the same thing as cricket. Obviously they are more popular world wide than baseball and football... but outside those core countries everyone else could care less.

Cricket isn't played in Europe, except in the British isles. It's a throwback to the largest Empire ever on earth. It's an imperial sport. India, Pakistan, Australia, New Zealand, The West Indies some African states, like South Africa. It's the national sport of both India, Pakistan and the summer sport of South Africa making it bigger than any American sport. US sports may be played elsewhere, but, they are not number one usually for the nations playing them.

Rugby is played widely in Europe, it's the number one game in France. Also played widely in Africa, it's number one in South Africa. It's also number one in New Zealand, number two in Australia after Aussie rules most South Sea islands. Played by every conscript in the Chinese army, they see it as the best game for promoting teamwork. It's number two in a lot of nations like Argentina and Italy. I understand games from the U.K. were spread by the commonwealth and this is why they are played so much more widely. That and the fact they flow better and have been refined in multiple styles by multiple nations.

Cricket isn't played in Europe, except in the British isles. It's a throwback to the largest Empire ever on earth. It's an imperial sport. India, Pakistan, Australia, New Zealand, The West Indies some African states, like South Africa. It's the national sport of both India, Pakistan and the summer sport of South Africa making it bigger than any American sport. US sports may be played elsewhere, but, they are not number one usually for the nations playing them.

Rugby is played widely in Europe, it's the number one game in France. Also played widely in Africa, it's number one in South Africa. It's also number one in New Zealand, number two in Australia after Aussie rules most South Sea islands. Played by every conscript in the Chinese army, they see it as the best game for promoting teamwork. It's number two in a lot of nations like Argentina and Italy. I understand games from the U.K. were spread by the commonwealth and this is why they are played so much more widely. That and the fact they flow better and have been refined in multiple styles by multiple nations.

Sounds about right... anyway I could care less... I have watched about 30 minutes worth of Rugby in my entire life... I see guys making human towers just to throw the ball in bounds... it looks more complicated than the NFL even though I know its obviously a lot more simple then that. Cricket... frankly I don't even know why they keep score seeing how seemlessly they make contact and pile up the runs. I'll stick with my football and baseball... not like an alien from another galaxy would be able to even tell the difference between those two pairs respectively other than the different equipment.

The reason no padding required is ITS SLOW compaired to American football. If you want to see a hit here is a hit....

Slow compared to american football, hahahah. You're hit doesn't show up by the way.....:whatever:

I'm not going to get in the Football vs NFL debate again, but I will never for the life of me understand why some yanks watch Nascar and not F1.

F1, the fastest cars, best racers and most glamourous, torturous tracks in the entire world, or driving around in an oval all day?

I'm not going to get in the Football vs NFL debate again, but I will never for the life of me understand why some yanks watch Nascar and not F1.

F1, the fastest cars, best racers and most glamourous, torturous tracks in the entire world, or driving around in an oval all day?

F1 isn't easily accessible over here in the States...I'm guessing NASCAR isn't readily broadcast in Europe every week

I did not know that....I'm guessing the same would be with F1 here....no one would watch it...

F1 cars are basically the test ground for all the new technology you get in your cars today. ABS, Tiptronic all comes from Formula 1.

Cricket I personally did not understand and find it quite boring. I however love rugby and football as well as baseball and american football which are clearly not global sports like football.

But that fascination is whats causing the professional American teams to travel abroad, I'm not seeing the Melbourne Storm(Rugby) or Liverepool (English Premiere League) playing matches over here.....or if they have, no one is covering it.

The NHL will have 4 teams play 4 rgames in Sweden and the Czech Republic to open the season later this fall after having 2 games in London last season.

The NHL will have 4 teams play 4 rgames in Sweden and the Czech Republic to open the season later this fall after having 2 games in London last season.

;) Yeah and they'll be sell outs just like when any of our teams visit you. What's you point?

F1 cars are basically the test ground for all the new technology you get in your cars today. ABS, Tiptronic all comes from Formula 1.

Cricket I personally did not understand and find it quite boring. I however love rugby and football as well as baseball and american football which are clearly not global sports like football.

As I said I also find Cricket boring and enjoy most U.S. games. I actually really enjoy Gridiron and basketball.

;) Yeah and they'll be sell outs just like when any of our teams visit you. What's you point?

No point really just that the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL are going to have more and more games played in Europe and Asia (and Canada for the NFL). There has been talk of the NHL and NBA expanding to Europe, with the NBA wanting to have a whole division of European teams to make scheduling easier. I doubt any Rugby, Football or Cricket leagues are itching to expand to North America.

One can always hope for an international lacrosse league.

As George Carlin said, if you play lacrosse, you are engaging in a ****** college activity.

No point really just that the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL are going to have more and more games played in Europe and Asia (and Canada for the NFL). There has been talk of the NHL and NBA expanding to Europe, with the NBA wanting to have a whole division of European teams to make scheduling easier. I doubt any Rugby, Football or Cricket leagues are itching to expand to North America.

Football teams aren't allowed. I don't know if it's good or bad.

It may change..
http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/president/news/newsid=691919.html

NBA and NHL expanding globally will never happen. You can't have a world league representing every part of the country where basketball is played... there would be a hundred teams. The Olympics and the World championships is more than enough... same goes for the NHL. Club tournaments in the NBA and NHL are pointless as well since the best teams play in North America. Plus I don't get how it makes scheduling easier. Heck they don't have global club tournaments in any sport for that matter. Imagine they expanded European's Champions League and took club winner of the MLS and soccer league champion from Brazi, Mexico and what not... it would never work.

NBA and NHL expanding globally will never happen. You can't have a world league representing every part of the country where basketball is played... there would be a hundred teams. The Olympics and the World championships is more than enough... same goes for the NHL. Club tournaments in the NBA and NHL are pointless as well since the best teams play in North America. Plus I don't get how it makes scheduling easier. Heck they don't have global club tournaments in any sport for that matter. Imagine they expanded European's Champions League and took club winner of the MLS and soccer league champion from Brazi, Mexico and what not... it would never work.

Actually crazy as it sounds the winner of the European Chapionship plays the South American Champion.... The thing is The European Championship and the Southa American Championships are based on the standings in the individual nations league. We also have another Cup competieion in Europe for our national cup winners. In England whilst the League is most important domestically we have several important Cup competitions. The FA Cup has what you would call minor league teams competing in the early stages.

Classic thread...Wish I could have posted in this earlier though... :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"