Americans - Has public opinion changed much on Bush and Iraq?

I don't know why the hell I think about this so much. I think American culture and politics is so damn fascinating. I think this period of time is fascinating aswell. It's a sort of Vietnam and Pearl Harbour, both at the same time.

I just want to know where public opinion currently stands on certain topics. Not to come off as offensive, but it is fairly clear to alot of people now what has happened over the last few years, and I just want to know if Americans in general know it or ignore it. When you talk about it with friends, family, co-workers, etc, what do they say?

So this is the way I see things. 9/11 2001 was Bush's lucky day. The American public were understandably angry, and Bush was all too willing to stand up and say "we're gonna fight back!". And fight back you did, going into Afghanistan. But we flash forward to today. Five years later. No Bin Laden. The fighting is as bad as it ever was.

Then came the whole "Iraq has WMDs!! We know for a fact that they do!!" from the mouth of everyone on the Bush administration. Here is something funny about that - not long before 9/11, the Bush administration said there weren't WMDs in Iraq. Funny how they changed their minds.

The move into the Iraq war is especially interesting to me - because the world at large, politicians and people alike, were not convinced that a war in Iraq was a good idea, and they were not convinced Iraq had WMDs. The inspectors weren't convinced. They wanted more time to search - but the Republican party didn't wanna hear it. The American people were all for the war too. And this is why I think the American people were all for the Iraq war, when nearly every other population of the western countries were against it. You guys were still sore about 9/11. Bush was the conquering hero in Afghanistan, so in the eyes of the American public, he could do no wrong. Blair was side by side with Bush the whole time, despite the fact that the British public were completely against it.

Flash forward to where we are today. It is an accepted fact that there were no WMDs. A matter of months after the troops landed, the war was ridiculously claimed as over. And yet, the violence continues everyday over there. It is pretty much civil war in Iraq. They are worse off than when Saddam was in power. The Iraq study group has declared the Iraq war a failure. Pretty much everything was badly planned and executed. From going there in the first place, to badly equipped troops, to getting out of the country.

The Patriot Act. Guantanamo Bay. This, and others, accepted and embraced by the American people. All for the sake of combating the "war on terror".

I mean, I just want to know how many Americans accept, because it is a fact, that they were duped. That they were lied to. That their government has made fools out of them. How many Americans accept that they were wrong?

In no way intended to be an American bashing thread.

Americans find it hard to be wrong and won't accept it. The issue with the war on terror has people split in many groups. Being duped would never come to mind if they believe in things like the Iraq war or the war on terror.

I've not only found these threads, I've pointed out what I was saying to you on these threads as well. Not only were posters accusing the guards at Gitmo and Guantanamo Bay of mass torture, they were also saying that most of the inmates were"innocent bystanders plucked off the streets".

They haven't had a trial! And we know for a fact that several detainees were innocent!

So I mean, I have no idea what you're talking about. How can you equate saying "the people in Gitmo may be innocent" to supporting the enemy?

Bush is about to send in another 20000 troops to Iraq.I wonder how many lives will be lost.sigh.

They haven't had a trial! And we know for a fact that several detainees were innocent!?
And guess what, they were released.

So I mean, I have no idea what you're talking about. How can you equate saying "the people in Gitmo may be innocent" to supporting the enemy?
The same way people equate "the people in Gitmo may be innocent" to "let's release everybody and shut her down."

Some people do that. However, I'm not going to suspend important pieces of the judicial system (innocent until proven guilty, right to counsel, right of the defendant to view the evidence against him) just because a president feels it hurts his war on a word, in this case the word of the day is "terror"

It looks like the American people dont care much,because if they did,they would have voiced their opposition.
The election was 2 years ago. And the president doesn't have to ask the people's approval to send troops.

Even though I think the war was a bad move, I can at least grasp that basic part of u.s. policy.

As I remember US began the whole war with Iraq in early 90s. Am I right?

And I think it's time for Bush to desert his post. Why? Because all this stuff with Iraq may take very bad end for both sides.

Still, 9/11 was the worst day for America and I think terrorism isn't the best way to fight for your country.

Anyway, I always hated to talk about politicy :down

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"