An Open Letter from Lloyd Levin (one of the producers of Watchmen)

Man...I shouldnt have read that letter.

They basically called the greatest superhero novel of all time "unintelligible ****".
This from a company that loved Ghost Rider and Fantastic Four...

I'm buying tickets to whatever WB film is out when Wolverine debuts and i'll sneak into the Wolverine theater.

fox may be a lot of things and they're worth flaming. but if they did in fact have legal rights over the film, then they have every right to be pissed and seek monetary vindication for having said rights infringed upon, no matter their personal intentions with the film.

Man...I shouldnt have read that letter.

They basically called the greatest superhero novel of all time "unintelligible ****".
This from a company that loved Ghost Rider and Fantastic Four...

I'm buying tickets to whatever WB film is out when Wolverine debuts and i'll sneak into the Wolverine theater.

Same weekend!
http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=15434

There is zero chance of me seeing Ghosts Of Girlfriends Past. However, i can GUARANTEE Im buying tickets to it on opening night.

As Ive said before...I DONT CARE that Fox has legal rights...morally I'm furious.

Im not sure why a boycott hasnt gotten off the ground. I mean, MSNBC would jump all over a story about people boycotting Fox News. I watch Fox New all day, but cant stomach the channel right now and watch CNN instead...and Im a diehard. I cant believe there isnt some organized protest. Its a stupid reason to protest, but who cares?

As Ive said before...I DONT CARE that Fox has legal rights...morally I'm furious.
morally furious? really. so when fox wins a judgement or settlement entitling them to some monetary reward, im sure you'll stand fast by your morals and protest fox's immoral claim/victory by not seeing watchmen when its released? because any other reaction would merely support fox and enable their claim/victory.

lets be honest here, people hate fox studios, and rightfully so. and im totally cool with people hating on them for legit reasons. but this is not one of them. so cut the B.S. you guys dont care what happens as long as come march 6 you can be sitting in a theater watching rorshach do some crazy rorshach s#!t.

morally furious? really. so when fox wins a judgement or settlement entitling them to some monetary reward, im sure you'll stand fast by your morals and protest fox's immoral claim/victory by not seeing watchmen when its released? because any other reaction would merely support fox and enable their claim/victory.

lets be honest here, people hate fox studios, and rightfully so. and im totally cool with people hating on them for legit reasons. but this is not one of them. so cut the B.S. you guys dont care what happens as long as come march 6 you can be sitting in a theater watching rorshach do some crazy rorshach s#!t.

You're only partially right. My anger with Fox is much less now that I know they cant alter the film in any way.

However, you're wrong with the other part...

If Fox has a small piece of the film, and we boycott, Fox doesnt profit...and WB loses over a hundred million dollars. There is NO reason to hurt the profit margins of WB. WB gave us The Dark Knight, and was bold enough to take a chance on Watchmen. I thanked them for making TDK by giving them a few hundred dollar in my various viewings of that film. I will reward them again by dishing out similiar amounts of money if Watchmen is good.

Instead...our voices (if a protest were to happen, and I doubt most people complaining about Fox would join in) would be designed to hurt the studios image, affect the profits of all of their films, inform advertisers on their networks thaat we will not support their products etc.

The idea is to send a message to Fox that if they think that Watchmen is THAT HORRIBLE of a graphic novel, and if they think GOOD representations of comic books are in their versions of Doctor Doom and Venom...then they should never touch our medium again.

You're only partially right. My anger with Fox is much less now that I know they cant alter the film in any way.

However, you're wrong with the other part...

If Fox has a small piece of the film, and we boycott, Fox doesnt profit...and WB loses over a hundred million dollars. There is NO reason to hurt the profit margins of WB. WB gave us The Dark Knight, and was bold enough to take a chance on Watchmen. I thanked them for making TDK by giving them a few hundred dollar in my various viewings of that film. I will reward them again by dishing out similiar amounts of money if Watchmen is good.

Instead...our voices (if a protest were to happen, and I doubt most people complaining about Fox would join in) would be designed to hurt the studios image, affect the profits of all of their films, inform advertisers on their networks thaat we will not support their products etc.

The idea is to send a message to Fox that if they think that Watchmen is THAT HORRIBLE of a graphic novel, and if they think GOOD representations of comic books are in their versions of Doctor Doom and Venom...then they should never touch our medium again.

morals and protest require sacrifice. if you claim to be so strong in your morals and protest against fox, then you need to be willing to make sacrifices such as denying yourself the film and WB's profit (which will also be fox's profit). do you really think fox cares about you bad mouthing them? no. as long as they're turning a profit, you can say what you want about them, they dont care. and as long as you go see watchmen, you're lending your money to the profit of something so immoral.

Shouldn't Warner Brothers be entitled to the spoils - if any -- of the risk they took in supporting and making Watchmen? Should Fox have any claim on something they could have had but chose to neither support nor show any interest in?

Shouldn't Alan Moore be entitled some control over a story that is only in Warner bros hands due to a contract that was deceptive at least and immoral at worst

Look at it another way... One reason the movie was made was because Warner Brothers spent the time, effort and money to engage with and develop the project. If Watchmen was at Fox the decision to make the movie would never have been made because there was no interest in moving forward with the project.

Oh so I guess that allows you to simply take something that someone else paid for, that's like me saying I'm going to steal one of Jay Leno's cars because "he's not using it, it just sits in his garage" the point is if they paid for it it's theirs to do what they wish.

Does a film studio have the right to stand in the way of an artistic endeavor and determine that it shouldn't exist?

DC does this all the time. Oh but they aren't a movie studio so this don't count (come on)

If the project had been sequestered at Fox, if Fox had any say in the matter, Watchmen simply wouldn't exist today, and there would be no film for Fox to lay claim on. It seems beyond cynical for the studio to claim ownership at this point.

They aren't claiming ownership of anything but the rights, which you used to make the film, the film isn't theirs but an irreplaceable piece of it (that you used) was so they are entitled to compensation

By his own admission, Judge Feess is faced with an extremely complex legal case, with a contradictory contractual history, making it difficult to ascertain what is legally right. Are there circumstances here that are more meaningful, which shed light on what is ultimately just, to be taken into account when assessing who is right? In this case, what is morally right, beyond the minutiae of decades-old contractual semantics, seems clear cut.

DON'T EVEN try to talk about whats morally right after your company punisher Moore simply because he put out something extraordinary. What is right is clear cut: Watchmen goes OOP, Moore gets the rights, and you get jack

For the sake of the artists involved, for the hundreds of people, executives and filmmakers, actors and crew, who invested their time, their money, and dedicated a good portion of their lives in order to bring this extraordinary project to life, the question of what is right is clear and unambiguous - Fox should stand down with its claim.

Lloyd Levin

Once again a company who treated its greatest talent like this has NO RIGHT to try and tell an equally evil company that they should be different.

"Pot, thou art Black" said the Kettle

The only reason he made this is because he knows people want to see this movie and wants to stir the fan boy backlash against fox, this has no use as a letter that's closed so its open, but just comes off as a producer blog made by money grubbing *****es

I think that the magick spell Moore way joking about might be real, because it seems that the WB is having the same problems Moore had. the tables have turned, how does it feel WB, to be on the ****** end of the stick? not so fun eh?

Lloyd Levin: you are either extremely ignorant of the history of this story and its many legal problems, or you are simply another caricature of a hollywood producer: powered by only one thing: Avarice

Last edited:
morals and protest require sacrifice. if you claim to be so strong in your morals and protest against fox, then you need to be willing to make sacrifices such as denying yourself the film and WB's profit (which will also be fox's profit). do you really think fox cares about you bad mouthing them? no. as long as they're turning a profit, you can say what you want about them, they dont care. and as long as you go see watchmen, you're lending your money to the profit of something so immoral.

That is the most backwards thing I have ever heard. In order to stand up for Warner Brothers and let people know how angry we are with Fox, we should hurt Warner Brothers financially??????? That is idiotic logic, and youre probably smart enough to know that. Thats like telling Pro-lifers that in order to take a stand against abortion, they should punch pregnant women in the stomach.

You say that Fox doesnt care if people all over the country organize to boycott them and their sponsors?? So it doesnt affect Fox at all if the comic book community boycots Wolverine???? Yet somehow it DOES affect them to boycot another studios film???

I do agree that most people simply will not organize and give up Fox entirely. I can assure you that I would be more than willing to organize, demonstrate and go a public as possible...just on principle. I just dont think most people would seriously stop watching Family Guy because of Watchmen.

IF a protest happened, the way to make change would be to barrage Fox advertisers, avoid Fox produced media and products, take to the streets in protest, go to CNN and MSNBC to get them to spread the message, etc.

And you know what else would happen??? In the process...the point of all of this...we would be informing the public of just HOW IMPORTANT this graphic novel is to superhero fandom...just how good our medium can be...and if the protest were large enough...we would cause permanent changes in the way studios treat comic book films.

Then we'd back up all of our statements by making Watchmen one of the biggest movies of all time.

fox may be a lot of things and they're worth flaming. but if they did in fact have legal rights over the film, then they have every right to be pissed and seek monetary vindication for having said rights infringed upon, no matter their personal intentions with the film.

The problem is, I sorta doubt that they have any big, legal rights to it. If they did, why did they wait until a few months before release to say anything about it?

I think they just saw the hype for it, saw they had rights to it before, and want to get some press and a piece of the pie.

That is the most backwards thing I have ever heard. In order to stand up for Warner Brothers and let people know how angry we are with Fox, we should hurt Warner Brothers financially??????? That is idiotic logic, and youre probably smart enough to know that. Thats like telling Pro-lifers that in order to take a stand against abortion, they should punch pregnant women in the stomach.

You say that Fox doesnt care if people all over the country organize to boycott them and their sponsors?? So it doesnt affect Fox at all if the comic book community boycots Wolverine???? Yet somehow it DOES affect them to boycot another studios film???

I do agree that most people simply will not organize and give up Fox entirely. I can assure you that I would be more than willing to organize, demonstrate and go a public as possible...just on principle. I just dont think most people would seriously stop watching Family Guy because of Watchmen.

IF a protest happened, the way to make change would be to barrage Fox advertisers, avoid Fox produced media and products, take to the streets in protest, go to CNN and MSNBC to get them to spread the message, etc.

And you know what else would happen??? In the process...the point of all of this...we would be informing the public of just HOW IMPORTANT this graphic novel is to superhero fandom...just how good our medium can be...and if the protest were large enough...we would cause permanent changes in the way studios treat comic book films.

Then we'd back up all of our statements by making Watchmen one of the biggest movies of all time.
some big social movement and protests against fox isnt gonna happen. no one is gonna do it. fox knows that. what they do get, is internet fanboys bad mouthing them on the internet. gee, im sure they're real scared. and if you were to stand by your morals and boycott fox's legal claim by skipping watchmen, you can make it up to WB by going to see another one of their films that fox would not profit off of.

The problem is, I sorta doubt that they have any big, legal rights to it. If they did, why did they wait until a few months before release to say anything about it?

I think they just saw the hype for it, saw they had rights to it before, and want to get some press and a piece of the pie.
i cant say with any certainty what their legal claim to the film is, apparently they have distribution rights, but im sure its all more complicated than that. but if they do in fact have that legal claim, then its their right as a company to do with it as they will. and its their right to seek monetary retribution when those rights are infringed upon. thats just business, and nothing wrong with that. and as its been stated many of times before, Fox tried many times years ago to get in touch with WB over this issue, far before production began, and far before there was any real hype.

You're right Motown...I agree that we just dont care enough (and probably shouldnt care enough) to actually stage a protest. Of course...entertainment publicity is what I do for a living...so I am beyond positive that I could get a protest through some channels and make our voices heard...but alas...no one will actually stand up to fight.

Sadly, a protest would benefit us beyond just Watchmen.

Think about it...and organized, well structured, well publicized group of fanboys could theoretically become a constant voice for fandom. The industry is already well aware that fanboys know about trends and potential hit movies before they do, yet they hate actually speaking to fanboys...as a group they could gauge opinions easier.

If we actually made our voices heard...actually stirred up some of that funky stuff, then companies may feel compelled to make movies that are respectful, lest the Watchmen return to cause havoc with their new films...

Movies studios despise comic books and the fans...they dont respect us or our medium of choice...but if they FEARED us...then we could avoid having another Catwoman or Fantastic Four.

I think this whole thing can be equated to the story of "The Little Red Hen":

------------------------------------------------------

One day as the Little Red Hen was scratching in a field, she found a grain of wheat.

"This wheat should be planted," she said. "Who will plant this grain of wheat?"

"Not I," said the Duck.

"Not I," said the Cat.

"Not I," said the Dog.

"Then I will," said the Little Red Hen. And she did.

Soon the wheat grew to be tall and yellow.

"The wheat is ripe," said the Little Red Hen. "Who will cut the wheat?"

"Not I," said the Duck.

"Not I," said the Cat.

"Not I," said the Dog.

When the wheat was cut, the Little Red Hen said, "Who will thresh the wheat?"

"Not I," said the Duck.

"Not I," said the Cat.

"Not I," said the Dog.

When the wheat was threshed, the Little Red Hen said, "Who will take this wheat to the mill?"

"Not I," said the Duck.

"Not I," said the Cat.

"Not I," said the Dog.

She took the wheat to the mill and had it ground into flour. Then she said, "Who will make this flour into bread?"

"Not I," said the Duck.

"Not I," said the Cat.

"Not I," said the Dog.

She made and baked the bread. Then she said, "Who will eat this bread?"

"Oh! I will," said the Duck.

"And I will," said the Cat.

"And I will," said the Dog.

"No, No!" said the Little Red Hen. "I will do that." And she did.

------------------------------------------------------

What Fox is now doing is essentially like if the Duck, Cat, and Dog filed a lawsuit against the Little Red Hen after she baked her bread, saying that they had not actually relinquished the rights to the grain of wheat, and thereby had distribution rights for the bread that the hen baked from it.

What Fox is now doing is essentially like if the Duck, Cat, and Dog filed a lawsuit against the Little Red Hen after she baked her bread, saying that they had not actually relinquished the rights to the grain of wheat, and thereby had distribution rights for the bread that the hen baked from it.
There's a problem with your analogy. In the classic story, the hen simply found the grain of wheat. Also, it could be assumed there are plenty of grains of wheat all over the place. In this case, however, the rights to the Watchmen movie belonged to Fox, and there's only one of those.So in your analogy, there would have to be only one grain of wheat in the entire farm, and it belonged to the Duck, Cat, and Dog until the Hen stole it. So yeah, I'd think they'd be entitled to a little bit of the bread that was made from their grain.

You're right Motown...I agree that we just dont care enough (and probably shouldnt care enough) to actually stage a protest. Of course...entertainment publicity is what I do for a living...so I am beyond positive that I could get a protest through some channels and make our voices heard...but alas...no one will actually stand up to fight.

Sadly, a protest would benefit us beyond just Watchmen.

Think about it...and organized, well structured, well publicized group of fanboys could theoretically become a constant voice for fandom. The industry is already well aware that fanboys know about trends and potential hit movies before they do, yet they hate actually speaking to fanboys...as a group they could gauge opinions easier.

If we actually made our voices heard...actually stirred up some of that funky stuff, then companies may feel compelled to make movies that are respectful, lest the Watchmen return to cause havoc with their new films...

Movies studios despise comic books and the fans...they dont respect us or our medium of choice...but if they FEARED us...then we could avoid having another Catwoman or Fantastic Four.
i dont think movie studios should make decisions out of fear. and having been around these boards for many years, if the studios listened to the majority of voices around here, comic book films would be even worse than they generally are now. most people around here arent mature or knowledgeable enough to have their voices affect decisions by studios. and they're hardly anything the studio should fear.

Then obviously there's a difference between justice and what's right and wrong.

yes....fox is just so wrong for protecting their rights that WB infringed upon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"