Ang Lee's 'Life of Pi'

Ugh, I hate the scapegoating of Ang Lee that's happening in this whole controversy. Ang was attempting to be sympathetic to their plight when he said what he said. Here's the full quote:

'I hope somehow it gets to be an easier business, cheaper, and more people can put their hands on it. The fact that Rhythm and Hues filed for bankruptcy is very sad. I hope they can be saved somehow. My heart goes out to them. The tiger, the water – they did wonderful work, so many people, hundreds and hundreds.'
And they're vilifying him because he didn't single them out in his speech on stage? People never thank everyone they wanted to thank in those speeches, as they're all usually extremely nervous in that moment, and Lee's not even a native English-speaker, so that's added pressure/nerves. Ang Lee is not the enemy, so they should really stop treating him like one, imo.

Last edited:
That's not the quote I was referring to, it's this one.

“I would like it to be cheaper and not a tough business [for VFX vendors]. It’s easy for me to say, but it’s very tough. It’s very hard for them to make money. The research and development is so expensive; that is a big burden for every house. They all have good times and hard times, and in the tough times, some may not [survive].”

http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/2013/02/24/an-open-letter-to-ang-lee/

Last edited:
^That quote doesn't seem much different to me, and I certainly don't think the intent behind it was any different.

Ang Lee is not the problem, and insistence of certain VFX artists to make him the poster boy for the problem is only making me less sympathetic to their plight, which I'm sure is not what they're going for in all this.

^That quote doesn't seem much different to me, and I certainly don't think the intent behind it was any different.

Ang Lee is not the problem, and insistence of certain VFX artists to make him the poster boy for the problem is only making me less sympathetic to their plight, which I'm sure is not what they're going for in all this.

Yeah because their plight in of itself doesn't deserve any sympathy. Yeah who cares if all of them are to be put out of work, but don't they dare put down Ang! That's it f**k em! :whatever: :doh:

Yeah where's the video of an Ang fan crying leave Ang alone?!!

Last edited:
Yeah because their plight in of itself doesn't deserve any sympathy. No more jobs! :whatever: :doh:
Of course they do, but guess what, that's a plight a lot of people in this country have had to deal with in the last few years, myself and friends included. Going around and publicly attacking people who are not responsible for putting you in that position is not the way to deal with it.

Of course they do, but guess what, that's a plight a lot of people in this country have had to deal with in the last few years, myself and friends included. Going around and publicly attacking people who are not responsible for putting you in that position is not the way to deal with it.

These jobs are not lay offs, they are jobs that will never come back if they don't do something quickly. You can dislike some of their tactics, but this is really serious! They are upset with not just with Ang, but he's the tip of the iceberg that under appreciates their contribution to industry. This is not something that has happened over night, it's been building up over the years! To bad that Ang got caught in all of this, but he is involved.

Here's everything I wrote about this situation, it might give you some more insight. http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=25300293&postcount=63

Last edited:
These jobs are not lay offs, they are jobs that will never come back if they don't do something quickly. You can dislike some of their tactics, but this is really serious! They are upset with not just with Ang here but he's one of many in the industry that don't show their appreciation for their contribution to industry.
I'm aware that this is a serious problem within the industry, but that doesn't mean I have to approve of or excuse their tactics. It's not like I'm saying they should sit down and shut up; I'm just saying vilifying Ang Lee for those comments when he was attempting to be sympathetic is bad form and a totally wrong-headed way to get people to join their cause.

I have a question about the Oscars.

When they were presenting the Original Score category, they played a sample of Life of Pi's Score. From what track was that sample, because I have listened that score a million times and it isn't there.

Please if someone knows from what track it is?

I'm a sucker: I went out and bought the 2D Blu ray today!

I have a question about the Oscars.

When they were presenting the Original Score category, they played a sample of Life of Pi's Score. From what track was that sample, because I have listened that score a million times and it isn't there.

Please if someone knows from what track it is?

I'm asking again...

Life of Pi Oscar 'an insult to cinematography'

Cinematographer Christopher Doyle slates decision to award statue to Ang Lee's film

Cinematographer Christopher Doyle has slammed the Oscars for awarding the cinematography gong to Ang Lee's 'Life of Pi' in a blistering tirade.

The visionary – and outspoken – Australian photographer behind films like 'Hero', 'In The Mood For Love' and 'Rabbit-Proof Fence' thinks that the film's reliance on post-production and effects means it did not deserve the award.

“I'm trying to work out how to say this most politely, and no offence to - I don't know him ('Life of Pi' cinematographer Claudio Miranda) personally - but what a total f****** piece of s***,” he told the South East Asian arts website Blouin.

“I'm sure he's a wonderful guy and I'm sure he cares so much, but since 97% of the film is not under his control, what the f*** are you talking about cinematography, sorry. I have to be blunt and I don’t care, you can write it. I think it's a f****** insult to cinematography.

“That's not cinematography. That's control of the image by the powers that be, by the people that want to control the whole system because they're all accounts. You've lost cinema. This is not cinema and it's not cinematography. It's not cinematography.”

Doyle also claimed that among the American Society of Cinematographers, there was similar feeling towards the film being awarded the statue, and added that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences which awards the Oscars hs 'no f***** idea what cinematography is, the lunatics have taken over the asylum'.

So what do you think?

Does Doyle have a point?

Seems like an extreme case of haters gonna hate. :o

Life of Pi Oscar 'an insult to cinematography'

So what do you think?

Does Doyle have a point?

Did Mr. Doyle make such caustic comments when Avatar won the same award so many years ago? That was an even more CGI'd film, and an inferior film overall as well.

He does have a point. And is probably right.

I would have gladly seen Pi exchange the Cinematography award for a rightly-deserved Best Picture win.

He does have a point. And is probably right.

I would have gladly seen Pi exchange the Cinematography award for a rightly-deserved Best Picture win.

Lol, you've put me in a quandary as to whether to agree or disagree with you.

He doesn't have a point. At all.
"Control of the image" is basically the purpose of cinematography. Cinematography IS a purposefully controlled image, composed to serve the story, message etc.
That it was achieved primarily through visual effects work does not dilute its effectiveness or artistry.

EDIT: This is such a strange opinion that I have to elaborate. Do people think VFX make telling a story any easier? That Ang Lee had to put no work into the compositions of every shot? Because this guy makes it sound like that you just plug something into the computer and you're done. Pretty baffling.

Last edited:
Considering that Boyle has an extensive background in Asian cinema, I'd guess there is a personal side to this story that we're not privy to. Considering that he's reserving his criticism for this movie while ignoring the many and consecutive other cinematography winners that have been just as reliant on CG and editing work to come to life.

Well his personal side is wrong. Composition is composition. Doesn't matter how it was created. If it's beautiful and tells the story effectively what's the difference?

I totally agree with you, I think Boyle is being an ass, although I like some of his work.

Yeah, he has some great work on his resume. Seems to be a case like Cronenberg (in regards to superhero movies) where someone of great talent says something mindbogglingly close-minded about their own medium.

I love Doyle (not Boyle c'mon !) . I'll go as far as , i think he's actually the best dp alive. He's certainly my favorite. Some of his work in urban settings i feel is completely unparalleled.

But what he said is a huge exaggeration. I understand the statement , i just disagree its an insult.

First lighting a green screen is hard as hell. In a major motion picture like this , to achieve those sort of compositions ...that's pure talent. To frame beyond what doesn't exist is also a talent in itself. Then is work in post is very extensive. Its not like he put a camera in a tripod , captured and someone else created all that look. To match levels , color temperatures , hues between what is actually real and isnt is quite an extensive task . And to that sort of strong imagery that Pi as , is even more difficult. Being able to maintain the consistency and feel between all shots ...sorry but that's just marvelous photography. No matter how you look at it. Yes it's very non-classical , i understand that a lot of that rubs the wrong way to dps'...but its photography nonetheless. If we want to talk about crappy post-digital photography , we always have Avatar that also won some awards in that department.

If there's a guy who has earn the right to say whatever he wants about photography its him. And its kinda usual he has this sort of statements. In this case i disagree ( i think i also read him badmouthing Lincoln , which in that case i agree)

Last edited:
finally saw this movie and wow i am blown away i may actually give give a 9.5/10

how this did not win best picture is beyond me

oh the fact that suraj sharma was'nt even nominated is a travesty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"