Another small step toward first man on Mars

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds
Reaction score
NASA Aims For Mars With Ares Launch Vehicle

by Staff Writers
Washington DC (SPX) Jul 10, 2006
NASA has made an important symbolic move with the announcement of the names of the launch vehicles that will be used to send crews and hardware to the Moon and then on to Mars. The Crew Launch Vehicle will be named Ares 1 and the Cargo Launch Vehicle will be called Ares 5.
The numerical designations of these vehicles are intended to honor the Saturn launch vehicles of the Apollo program (Saturn 1 & 5).

The Ares will use a single five-segment solid rocket booster, a derivative of the space shuttle's solid rocket booster, for the first stage. A liquid oxygen/liquid hydrogen J-2X engine derived from the J-2 engine used on Apollo's second stage will power the crew exploration vehicle's second stage. The Ares I will be able to lift more than 55,000 pounds to low Earth orbit.

Ares 5, a true heavy lift launch vehicle, will use five RS-68 liquid oxygen/liquid hydrogen engines mounted below a larger version of the space shuttle's external tank, and two five-segment solid propellant rocket boosters for the first stage. The upper stage will use the same J-2X engine as the Ares 1. The Ares 5 will be able to lift more than 286,000 pounds to low Earth orbit and will stand approximately 360 feet tall. This versatile system will be used to carry cargo and the components into orbit needed to go to the Moon and later to Mars.

The selection of the name "Ares" for the boosters is an important symbolic choice concerning the future of the United States space program. "It's appropriate that we named these vehicles Ares, which is a pseudonym for Mars," said Scott Horowitz, associate administrator for NASA's Exploration Systems Mission Directorate. "We honor the past with the number designations and salute the future with a name that resonates with NASA's exploration mission."

This name also has a special meaning in the Mars Society because it is the name that Dr. Robert Zubrin and David Baker proposed for a Mars launch vehicle in their 1990 design of the Mars Direct mission. Not only that, but the Ares 5 vehicle planned by NASA is quite similar to the Ares booster design presented by Zubrin and Baker in their Mars Direct plan.

The decision to name the boosters "Ares" is thus significant, as it makes a statement that human Mars exploration is truly the objective of NASA. Symbols can be powerful. They define our goals. Hopefully, the selection of "Ares" will help to focus NASA and the nation to what will be one of the greatest achievements in human history, sending humans to Mars.

The Mars Society applauds this decision and will continue to do everything in our power to help NASA achieve this great objective.

A complete discussion of NASA's plans to send humans to Mars will be presented at the 9th International Mars Society Convention, L'Enfant Plaza Hotel, Washington, DC. Speakers include Mike Griffin and Scott Horowitz. Registration is now open at www.marssociety.org.

But will the Martians have a keg waiting?

bored said:
But will the Martians have a keg waiting?

More likely their weapons ;)

Right now it seems there's only a Decepticon living up there.

There is very little doubt in my mind that shortly after man first steps foot on mars and the first images are beemed back to earth... quite a few people are going to say that it is a hoax and you can tell that they are just on some set somewhere.

Call me short sighted but I don't like the space program.

Aside from the fact that these things consume god knows how many thousands of gallons of fuel on one trip in the middle of an OIL CRISIS...what does it really do? Sure, its neat to say we went to space, but how about we worry about our problems here at home first and then dump trillions of dollars into going somewhere to pick up a few rocks and come back.

Matt said:

Aside from the fact that these things consume god knows how many thousands of gallons of fuel on one trip in the middle of an OIL CRISIS...what does it really do? Sure, its neat to say we went to space, but how about we worry about our problems here at home first and then dump trillions of dollars into going somewhere to pick up a few rocks and come back.

The space program doesn't have an effect on the oil crisis because solid oxygen is not a fossil fuel.

black_dust said:
Hows about we get the moon first eh?

Don't turn the thread into a "we havn't even been to the moon anywhoo thread"

black_dust said:
Im glad you agree :p haha

Actually, I'm of the group that thinks we have been to the moon...but the first landing was fake.

Super_Child said:
Actually, I'm of the group that thinks we have been to the moon...but the first landing was fake.

And I am of the group that couldn't care less one way or the other, what's the point of going to the moon? or to mars? becuase they are there! so what! We no a hell of a lot more about mars then we do about our own oceans so why don't we study our own planet a little bit more before we sod off and look at other ones

NASA has not lost it's sense of irony. Ares vehicle to go to Mars. Ah the ancient Greek and Romans would be proud.

Matt said:

dood if we dont go to Mars then Howser will never know that he's really QUAID!!!

The Incredible Hulk said:
dood if we dont go to Mars then Howser will never know that he's really QUAID!!!

M0000539.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"