Ant-Man's Powers on Screen

chamber-music

Infinity Ammo
Reaction score
Ant-Man/Giant-Man/Goliath/Wasp/Yellowjacket size changing is done in a fast as you can blink continuous motion in the comics which is something that doesn't look good on 2d paper but would look good in live action which is what Edgar Wright has said.

Marvel_Premiere_48_p14.jpg

Often in the comics Ant-Mans fighting style was to shrink to avoid a enemy throwing a punch and then regrow and punch them back all in a flash. Something like that would look great on screen.

He utilized the element of surprise. The stealth aspect often worked for him.

ant5.jpg

I always thought Shrinking or growing isn't any more goofy than Mister Fantastic stretching when you think about it.

Will Pym or Lang use different ants like flying ants, fire ants, ect or create giant ants?

ant1.jpg

As Giant-Man/Goliath the growth process required the rapid acquisition of bodily mass, presumably from an extradimensional source. This extradimensional mass fortified all of his cellular tissue, including his bones and muscles, enabling him to support his increased weight, and giving him superhuman strength.

Last edited:
Being that Edgar Wright is directing I think we'll see a lot of quick cuts on screen. I'm betting the first time he suits up we'll see a montage of him zipping up his red jumpsuit putting on the belt grabbing the canisters and the helmet. As for how the powers work on screen I'm hoping we get something close to how Scott Pilgrim was shot. Bright lights and fast action.

Will he look like Nightcrawler of X-Men 2 ? Has he ever crawled inside someone and then grew? tia

Last edited:
He fixed Luke Cage's heart by going inside him...

Will he look like Nightcrawler of X-Men 2 ? Has he ever crawled inside someone and then grew? tia
From people ant-man comes into contact withs perspective it is like he just appears out of knowhere so its a bit like Nightcrawler I guess.

Last edited:
From people ant-man comes into contact withs perspective it is like he just appears out of knowhere so its a bit like Nightcrawler I guess.

No nifty black "bamf" clouds to pop up, though. :yay:

I think, because film is such a visual medium, you really do have to show him shrinking/growing.

An instantaneous change, I feel, wouldn't translate particularly well for screen.

how about the Pym Particle/Kirby Krackling effect?

minimize it or kinda make it a dark (but more transparent) version of the star trek Transporter effect. so it looks like "dust" swirling in a way.

The illustrated version of the test footage which a fan drew from memory for those who have not seen it

[YT]qGJ0tMAxbkk[/YT]

The closest we get right now to seeing how Ant-Man powers will look in motion is probably this clip

[YT]iBVhFbI0cNI[/YT]

I think, because film is such a visual medium, you really do have to show him shrinking/growing.

An instantaneous change, I feel, wouldn't translate particularly well for screen.

They can show a slow motion shrinking/ growing for the first few times. However, when he's using it in action to attack someone with the element of surprise, it should be done quickly, otherwise having it slowed down doesn't have the same effect.

I want to see Giant-Man drop kick a villain into orbit like he does in A:EMH.

Ant-Man!!! He's shrinkage powers are going to rock!

Ant-Man in the comics maintains his proportional strength in the comics but does anyone else think they should perhaps give the movie version an upgrade by having the Pym Particles also unleash some sort of energy that gives him super strength like his namesake ants have?

But ants are also capable of some remarkable feats of strength for their diminutive size.

A leaf-cutter ant can carry a piece of leaf 50 times its own body weight which is the equivalent of Iranian Olympic weightlifting champion Hossein Rezazadeh carrying a medium-sized van.

Ants displaying their super strength by lifting pencils several thousand times their own weight

article_2346018_1_A6_A0082000005_DC_730_634x729.jpg

I don't see the need. Just give him "strength" feats like the promo clip showed: being able to have the same strength and momentum at 1 millimeter tall as you'd have at full size can be *very* useful.

Don't forget his biggest power will doing all his geeky science experiments, right?

Something about Ant-Man as a film just seems off putting. Never read the books though.

As long as they make Ant-Man powers like his powers in that Test Footage..i will be very happy..

It seems like he will increase in strength at ant size rather than maintain his proportional strength going by the official Marvel Ant-Man movie synopsis

Armed with the astonishing ability to shrink in scale but increase in strength

The special effects is where AM can really shine! just imagine a miniature world!

I was working as an extra on t set of Ant-Man back in July in SF.

Some dude was reading a Giant Man comic...so they are definetly aware f it.

Ant-Man/Giant-Man/Goliath/Wasp/Yellowjacket size changing is done in a fast as you can blink continuous motion in the comics which is something that doesn't look good on 2d paper but would look good in live action which is what Edgar Wright has said.

Marvel_Premiere_48_p14.jpg

Often in the comics Ant-Mans fighting style was to shrink to avoid a enemy throwing a punch and then regrow and punch them back all in a flash. Something like that would look great on screen.

He utilized the element of surprise. The stealth aspect often worked for him.

ant5.jpg

I always thought Shrinking or growing isn't any more goofy than Mister Fantastic stretching when you think about it.

Will Pym or Lang use different ants like flying ants, fire ants, ect or create giant ants?

ant1.jpg

As Giant-Man/Goliath the growth process required the rapid acquisition of bodily mass, presumably from an extradimensional source. This extradimensional mass fortified all of his cellular tissue, including his bones and muscles, enabling him to support his increased weight, and giving him superhuman strength.

Ugh... John Byrne's artwork. Who is that pink guy that Ant-Man is beating? He looks exactly like how Byrne drew the Hulk but with a different hairstyle and more pronounced brow.

The pink guy is Darren Cross (Corey Stoll). You can see why they made him Yellowjacket in the film rather than the pink hulk he became in the comics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"