Any Old School Adult Swim Fans?

I still fail to see how 9 years qualifies as old school unless the person who's calling it old school is like 13.

I'm 27 years old. 9 years ago I was in high-school. Yeah, old school.

I loved 'Home Movies' and Coach McGuirk. "DeeeVeeeeDeeeee!"

The line-up of Adult Swim was at its peak around 2002-2003. Home Movies, Brak Show, Aqua Teen Hunger Force (back when it was good!), Harvey Birdman and Space Ghost. Pure win.

EDIT: And Sealab 2021! How could I forget.... Bizzarrrrroooooooooooo! The show really took a dive when the guy who played Captain Murphy died. :-(

Last edited:
....I still like Adult Swim.

Metalocalypse, Robot Chicken, The Venture Brothers, hell, I even like Titan Maximo.

Sealab 2021, Harvey Birdman, Space Ghost, Brak Show, Aqua Teen Hunger Force all still hold a special place in my heart, but, I'm still thoroughly entertained.

Also, people that don't like the Boosh and Garth Maringi make me sick. :o

I'm 27 years old. 9 years ago I was in high-school. Yeah, old school.
I loved 'Home Movies' and Coach McGuirk. "DeeeVeeeeDeeeee!"
The line-up of Adult Swim was at its peak around 2002-2003. Home Movies, Brak Show, Aqua Teen Hunger Force (back when it was good!), Harvey Birdman and Space Ghost. Pure win.
EDIT: And Sealab 2021! How could I forget.... Bizzarrrrroooooooooooo! The show really took a dive when the guy who played Captain Murphy died. :-(

If you say so. I'm 29, but calling something 9 years old "old school" is playing pretty fast and loose with the term.

If you say so. I'm 29, but calling something 9 years old "old school" is playing pretty fast and loose with the term.

I think you also have to look at context. In the context of the lifespan of Adult Swim, it is old school, because that was the very beginning.

In the context of an institution that's been around for decades like say, the NHL, you wouldn't say "old school" when referring to a team from nine years ago.

I can't stand Tim and Eric either, occasionally I'll catch something entertaining they did online, but I just can's sit through a full half-hour of it. The Mighty Boosh on the other hand, I love. I'm not sure what season they're on right now, but my favorite was the first, in the zoo. Still, I hate that they have live-action programming. I'm torn. :o

I can't stand Tim and Eric either, occasionally I'll catch something entertaining they did online, but I just can's sit through a full half-hour of it. The Mighty Boosh on the other hand, I love. I'm not sure what season they're on right now, but my favorite was the first, in the zoo. Still, I hate that they have live-action programming. I'm torn. :o
Good thing Tim and Eric is only 11 minutes then! :fhm:

I haven't watched a lot of Adult Swim since it went downhill (in my opinion that was around '05 or '06, after Home Movies, Sealab, Brak, Space Ghost and Harvey Birdman got cancelled, and Aqua Teen became unwatchable). I did like Frisky Dingo and Tom Goes to the Mayor though. And I've heard good things about Metalocalypse. But still, the magic's gone.

Superjail is ok I hope it gets a second season but rightnow it seems unlikely.

I forgot about Superjail. That show was awesome too. Why the hell wouldn't it get a second season?

It's just been too long.

No it hasn't. Venture Bros went like damn near two years before season 2 started. They'll get it when they get it.

U were right Anubis. I got this from superjails wiki. In November 2009, Adult Swim revealed via the bumper cards in their commercials that a second season has been ordered, though the scripts are still being written.

I haven't watched a lot of Adult Swim since it went downhill (in my opinion that was around '05 or '06, after Home Movies, Sealab, Brak, Space Ghost and Harvey Birdman got cancelled, and Aqua Teen became unwatchable). I did like Frisky Dingo and Tom Goes to the Mayor though. And I've heard good things about Metalocalypse. But still, the magic's gone.
Frisky Dingo = :up:
Metalocalypse is good too from the episode's I've seen. I keep trying to get in to that show, but keep getting side-tracked.

I hated Fat Guy Stuck In Internet.
Me too, which makes me sad, 'cause I think Gemberling's a funny guy.

I started watching Adult Swim in 2003 because it showed Futurama, and I watched all the comedy shows for a couple years. But then, over time, the good shows got canceled and replaced by bad shows. But it still has some I like, namely King of the Hill, Venture Bros, Metalocalypse, The Office, and hopefully a new season of The Boondocks soon. I can never fault Adult Swim too much, because it played a big role in rejuvenating my interest in animation in high school.

Some other thoughts on Adult Swim that wouldn't flow well in a paragraph:

-I won't be upset if ATHF gets canceled, but I still enjoy it pretty well. It's been steadily on the decline since season 4.

-Though I miss the old shows, I don't think any of them were canceled prematurely except for Mission Hill. There was way more than one season of greatness in that show. Home Movies could have lasted longer too, but Brendon Small made Metalocalypse not too long later.

-Adult Swim's biggest mistake was choosing not to make Korgoth of Barbaria into a full series. For all the awful shows they've produced, they just couldn't bear to pick up the one of the few good pilots they had.

-In the past, when Adult Swim showed more anime than anything else, I was annoyed because I didn't like anime. Now I love anime and they hardly show any.

Frisky Dingo = :up:
Metalocalypse is good too from the episode's I've seen. I keep trying to get in to that show, but keep getting side-tracked.
Frisky Dingo was the last good Adult Swim original show. I was pretty bummed that it only lasted two seasons, but now the same people make Archer, and I like it about as much.

You know what? I like Squidbillies too. It took me awhile to get into it, but, that s**t is insanely f**king funny. Morel Oral, I have to say, may very well be one of the deepest animated shows I've ever seen. First two seasons were pretty much just what you thought. A sick take on the Davy and Goliath show from the Christian TV.....but that last season, man. I mean it's not often you see caracter growth in a chartoon but, damn, there it was. If you haven't seen that last season, you really should check it out if they ever put it on DVD. Amazing. Lucy daughter of the Devil was also pretty awesome. 12 OZ mouse however was just........madness. Like the insane scribbles of a mental patient done with feces and love juice.

Overall, I'd have to say I don't get this "When adult swim fell off" bulls**t. It's always been good, it's still good.

I don't know if there's a thread already, but lately I've been on a huge "old school" Adult Swim kick. Watching Mission Hill, Tom Goes To The Mayor, ATHF, Space Ghost, Sealab 2012, Futurama, and, Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law.. almost religiously. For me, being 13 when the programming came on (September 1st, 2001), my dad going to sleep around 9 PM left me feeling so rebellious watching it. Especially during the summer staying up until 5 AM to watch all of the shows.

My favorite show, ever, is probably still Mission Hill. I just loved the show so much. It was downright funny and thoughtful. Andy is probably one of my favorite TV characters of all time. I don't know why but, I could totally relate to him and at the age I was at the time. Just a lazy care-free guy who wanted escape from the real world and his parents until his younger brother, Kevin, comes into the picture and ruins his perfect world. I loved Mission Hill, such a vastly underrated show.

The other show I completely loved was Space Ghost: Coast to Coast. I loved how it was a complete parody of the late night talk shows. Space Ghost being the host, Zorak being the music man/"side-kick", Moltar being the guy that preps the interview guest before they talk to Space Ghost and, Brak? Well...That's Brak. lol. I completely loved this show, even at the age of 13. I loved how they had the interactions between Space Ghost and Crew feel so..original..

So, I was wondering. Is there any other "old school" Adult Swim fans out there? If so, what are your favorite shows, episodes and characters? :yay:

Definitely a fan like yourself(though I don't think Futurama and Misson Hill are "old school" when it comes to their lineup airing)

Space Ghost was awesome. I remember that they had Space Ghost et crew on two different shows. First was Cartoon Planet, which had S.G, Zorak and Brak basically showcasing some old school Hanna-Barbara cartoon shorts. And of course, Space Ghost: Coast 2 Coast, which switched Brak for Moltar and in 10-15 minutes was still as great as any other late night talk show.

Adult Swim was also where I first real experience with anime outside the DBZ realm(you know, those toons they show on saturday that use to come on every night). I was introduced to some true classics: Cowboy Bebop, YuYu Hakusho ("Poltergeist Reporter" to you purists out there), Wolf Reign, Inyuyasha, uncut Gundam Wing, etc. The list goes on!

And who could forget Home Movies?... well, ok, I didn't really watch it when it first came on. Looked too much like Dr. Katz to me at first. But once I got use to the animation, I saw truly how comedic and brilliant that show was!

The ones who remembered Cowboy Bebop on the old school Adult Swim might also remember that YuYu Hakusho, Trigun, and Big-O also came on. Adult Swim had a crazy cool Saturday night anime lineup.
All great shows. Well Big-O was hit or miss for me. I just gave me something to watch in between Bebop and Inuyasha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"