The Dark Knight Rises Any sci-fi elements?

The Morningstar

Avenger
Reaction score
So the movie is set 8 years in the future. Apart from Bane's "doomsday machine" thing what, if any, sci-fi elements do you think there will be? What would you like to see?

The BATwing flying through the streets is enough for me.

Yeah I mean realistically I doubt 2016 will be all that different from 2008. Was 2000 dramatically different from 2008? Not really.

If anyone will be bringing the futuristic aspect to this film it will be Batman (batwing, LED gun, etc) and the LoS/Bane (doomsday device).

Yea i imagine it would be very subtle, if at all. I'm thinking along the lines of Children of Men, only less, you know, apocalyptic and decayed.

Well, they still play football without robotic suits, so it can't be that advanced.

Heh yea, or robots playing it.

I think it's about the little details. Updated phones and computers etc. Helps fully realise the world and setting.

I'm still gutted 2015 won't yield us the flying car. Curse you, Back to the Future!

For me, BB seemed to be in the not so distant future, TDK seemed to be clearly in the present, and I think TDKR will feel slightly futuristic after Gotham goes to hell, and because of the Bat.

Batman riding a Pitbull, so he can hover over water.

I wouldn't imagine any more than were present in the previous two films, of which there were many.

^ Actually, Children of Men is a really good example. At least to the dystopian Gotham that we're assuming that we'll get.

Bane's mask is probably steeped in Inception-style science. What I'd really like is some awesomeness in the Batcave.

I'd say there won't be any drastic changes. Most people don't realise that Terminator 2 was set a few years after it was released.

The Lazarus Pit seems heavy SF or lightly Fantasy depending on how Nolan explains it. That odd gun-esque device we see Batman pointing at us on his Empire cover is SF and Bane's Earthquake-Machine is heavy SF. More Inception-styled stuff, I'd assume.

Yeah I mean realistically I doubt 2016 will be all that different from 2008. Was 2000 dramatically different from 2008? Not really.

If anyone will be bringing the futuristic aspect to this film it will be Batman (batwing, LED gun, etc) and the LoS/Bane (doomsday device).

That's always kind of hard to predict. I mean I'd say that by 1970 things were very different than in 1962, culturally, politically and technologically.

I'd save the sci-fi for the reboot.

Nolan's strength in the Batman world is realism.

This film is set in the near future. If there isn't any sci fi/futurist elements, even in the details, I'll be disappointed. I mean, a great film maker surely wouldn't overlook things like different phones and computers. All these little details help build the world.

I think other than the Batwing(whatever it's called) that gun thing will probably be the most "sci-fi" thing of the movie.

EDIT: and Bane's earthquake machine.

The Lazarus Pit seems heavy SF or lightly Fantasy depending on how Nolan explains it. That odd gun-esque device we see Batman pointing at us on his Empire cover is SF and Bane's Earthquake-Machine is heavy SF. More Inception-styled stuff, I'd assume.
I think the Lazarus Pit will be the name of the prison Bane throws Bruce in and he must climb up from it to show he is "reborn", therefore no science at all :p

I hope that Lazarus Pit mode of thinking is far from this movie. It'd be better if they just don't reference it if they'd just horribly butcher it like that.

Batman quite clearly has some sort of Lite Brite gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"