Aquaman's Critical Reception Thread (Rotten Tomato and Metacritic)

I'm pretty much on your wave length but...I dont know, in your opinon, do you think the story/script really was any more egregious than a lot of other similar movies? A movie like Suicide Squad for example, script wise that movie was a damn mess ( although i still enjoy it as a guilty pleasure lol) l. But Aquaman I felt was a pretty basic straightforward story with the usual contrivances we see in these kinds of movies.

Honestly yeah, I do think it's more egregious and clunky than your average superhero film. It's not Suicide Squad, but it's even worse than Ant-man and the Wasp where the movie comes to a screeching halt so the characters could turn to the audiences and catch them up in ways that feel unnatural. Like you said it was a pretty basic straight-forward story, but the amount of exposition and clunky world-building felt pretty egregious in a genre where that is the norm.

Last edited:
Honestly yeah, I do think it's more egregious and clunky than your average superhero film. It's not Suicide Squad, but it's even worse than Ant-man and the Wasp where the movie comes to a screeching halt so the characters could turn to the audiences and catch them up in ways that feel unnatural. Like you said it was a pretty basic straight-forward story, but the amount of exposition and clunky world-building felt pretty egregious in a genre where that is the norm.

Can you provide an example? I didn't feel this way about any part of the movie, though the transitions to the Sahara and Sicily could have been smoother. But once we're there, things continue to roll...

Ok, I guess to each his own @Flint Marko. I hear what you're saying, and maybe I'm just an easier lay, but I didnt feel the movie ever came to a screeching halt, I thought the pace from beginning to end was pretty rhythmic and I never felt bored. I barely noticed the exposition because our lead character is just like us in that he knows nothing about any of this mythology so he needs to learn it somehow unlike say, Thor, for example where Thor's essentially teaching us everything we need to know as the movie goes along.

The one BIG clunky area to me was when Mera showed up. That definitely felt off and felt like there may have been a scene or two missing.

Ok, I guess to each his own @Flint Marko. I hear what you're saying, and maybe I'm just an easier lay, but I didnt feel the movie ever came to a screeching halt, I thought the pace from beginning to end was pretty rhythmic and I never felt bored. I barely noticed the exposition because our lead character is just like us in that he knows nothing about any of this mythology so he needs to learn it somehow unlike say, Thor, for example where Thor's essentially teaching us everything we need to know as the movie goes along.

The one BIG clunky area to me was when Mera showed up. That definitely felt off and felt like there may have been a scene or two missing.

There isn't a boring second in Aquaman. Not one. Maybe for some, it felt overstuffed, and that's because it indulges some serious worldbuilding, but I loved how grandiose it felt. I knew we'd get something big from Wan. It felt more expensive than a 200 million dollar movie.

I'll agree. I wasn't bored at all while watching this film. Even When I watched it a second time, just as engaged. I think this movie will have more rewatch value than a lot of superhero films for me personally.

Moviebob’s review, a critic whom I trust most with superhero reviews, echoes the same thought. It was a simple story but filled with so much stuff that it comes across as more complicated than it needs to be. He still gave it 3/4 stars and I agree with him in that despite all the clunkiness, the movie as a whole still worked and was really entertaining.

I'll agree. I wasn't bored at all while watching this film. Even When I watched it a second time, just as engaged. I think this movie will have more rewatch value than a lot of superhero films for me personally.

Which I think is why its doing so well. Its rewatchable. It goes down easy, its fun, its well done spectacle and its feel good and this time of year, especially, people wanna feel good. Which is basically why Jumanji almost broke a billion last year.

Can you provide an example? I didn't feel this way about any part of the movie, though the transitions to the Sahara and Sicily could have been smoother. But once we're there, things continue to roll...

Black Manta's introduction is the easiest thing to point to though there are several more.

Mera's introduction was bad and it felt like something was missing in the editing room, but Manta's introduction was also bad, and so was some random child handing Mera a book that was conveniently a callback for no real reason, and so was the Vulko subplot....

You know what? I have zero desire to keep harping on these things. My problems with the script are real, but this nailed it:

Moviebob’s review, a critic whom I trust most with superhero reviews, echoes the same thought. It was a simple story but filled with so much stuff that it comes across as more complicated than it needs to be. He still gave it 3/4 stars and I agree with him in that despite all the clunkiness, the movie as a whole still worked and was really entertaining.

I had a great time with this movie. My audience had a great time with this movie. That's seriously the second DC movie in years, literally years, where I walked out of the theater and heard the audience buzzing about how good of a time they had, and I did as well. This was a big, wild, weird good time in the best way possible and even though I'm a little disappointed that it wasn't the home run I wanted it to be, it's still another step in the right direction that I want from DC.

They should be making these big, mythic, bold movies featuring the most iconic superheroes of all time and they will forever have my money as long as they're making bold swings like this. My complaints about the clunky script are immaterial because as someone who has been complaining about the choices WB/DC has made for nearly a decade now, this and Wonder Woman, along with the trailers for Shazam, tells me they've learned the right lessons. This is a huge win for DC/superhero fans everywhere and I couldn't be happier about it's box office success.

Last edited:
Black Manta's introduction is the easiest thing to point to though there are several more.

Mera's introduction was bad and it felt like something was missing in the editing room, but Manta's introduction was also bad, and so was some random child handing Mera a book that was conveniently a callback for no real reason, and so was the Vulko subplot....

You know what? I have zero desire to keep harping on these things. My problems with the script are real, but this nailed it:

I had a great time with this movie. My audience had a great time with this movie. That's seriously the second DC movie in years, literally years, where I walked out of the theater and heard the audience buzzing about how good of a time they had, and I did as well. This was a big, wild, weird good time in the best way possible and even though I'm a little disappointed that it wasn't the home run I wanted it to be, it's still another step in the right direction that I want from DC.

They should be making these big, mythic, bold movies featuring the most iconic superheroes of all time and they will forever have my money as long as they're making bold swings like this. My complaints about the clunky script are immaterial because as someone who has been complaining about the choices WB/DC has made for nearly a decade now, this and Wonder Woman, along with the trailers for Shazam, tells me they've learned the right lessons. This is a huge win for DC/superhero fans everywhere and I couldn't be happier about it's box office success.
All I need now is my Martian Manhunter movie. Make it a sci-fi/crime noir mashup and then I can die happy.

No argument there. Plus, I have no reason to believe Patty won't deliver another solid WW movie. I think its safe to say the era of controversial DC movies is over.

Although...i feel like Phoenix's Joker movie next year is bound to ruffle feathers.

All I need now is my Martian Manhunter movie. Make it a sci-fi/crime noir mashup and then I can die happy.

Now you’re talking.

WB need to start swinging for the fences with the lesser known characters. Put them in appropriate genre bending movies, and let them shine with the audience individually... instead of cramming them all in one movie where nobody gets chance to shine.

Questions guys, did RT start to force you to sign up first to rate movies? I couldn't get in with my usual FB account ( I haven't rated anything for a year), and the user rating numbers are way down for the latest movies - AM has 20K and BB has 3K, used to be 100K+ in no time

So, It seems before release Aquaman started strong, post release it's basically been receiving a mixed reaction from critics.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree with the critics to some extent? Do you think many of them are being unfair in their criticisms? What are you honest thoughts?

There is a critics thread for RT over in the Aquaman forum. I am merging this thread into that one.

While I do think the script could have used a bit more work, what's there is on part with any solid film out there. The complaints about exposition are overblown, and seem to pop up with every superhero movie that comes out at some point. It's almost nitpicking at this point. There's really not any more exposition than the average superhero film or action-adventure movie in AQUAMAN, and certainly not much more than your average high-fantasy/sci-fi piece. It is inserted into the film a bit clunkily in places, but that's partially because parts of Amber Heard's performance come across as clunky due to the way she's supposed to communicate, and you'll have some clunk whenever a character has to find a widget to get to the next step of their journey, and the steps of the journey essentially have to be explained. I'm not a fan of that type of rudimentary storytelling vs something more organic for that reason.

The best parts of the film, aside from action and visuals, were the more political, character-based elements, and I do think the movie had a nice mix of classic hero quest stuff and more modern political superheroing without being preachy.

So, It seems before release Aquaman started strong, post release it's basically been receiving a mixed reaction from critics.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree with the critics to some extent? Do you think many of them are being unfair in their criticisms? What are you honest thoughts?

I think they are being overly harsh on the movie but I can understand some of the criticisms. Another script polish could've helped the movie. Where I take issue with the critics is that their issues with the script seem big enough to completely derail the film and cast aside the near masterful direction and visuals from Wan and charming performances. I've seen critics praise other movies to the moon with wooden characters or non existant character arcs but zero in on the visuals as reason enough to recommend said movie.

But you know what else I've noticed? It seems a lot of critics have problems with the..."DC aesthetic." The stylized look of these movies and specifically the action sequences have been a consistent issue for them since Man of Steel and I'm including Wonder Woman.

People can say the RT system is flawed considering a 6/10 could be Fresh or Rotten depending on the user... However, if the rating was automatic based on 6/10 being fresh (for argument sake)... Then a critic who would have rated a movie 6/10 with a rotten score will just give it a 5.5/10 to make it rotten. So it really doesn't make a difference in the grand scheme of things when looking at the tomatometer.

Lol this poll asks two questions that require two different answers.

Critics are being very generous to Aquaman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"