Are Genre Films Getting Better?

rohitiyer

Civilian
Reaction score
I don’t claim to be an expert on the history of Genre films (Superhero movies, comic-book movies, movies based on video games, etc.)

But I was just wondering if we could discuss the progression of such films from when we first saw one to today’s big-budget blockbusters.

I’m posting this here, because this is probably the only board I frequent and I love reading all the great posts you guys make every day (although I rarely post myself)

My tryst with these movies probably actually started with Superman: The Movie which I saw as a kid. And I have to say that it was probably the best movie to start with. But even at that stage I think that movies were a little bit limited by the technology available and also the degree of respect that comic book movies in particular were given.

That’s where it all started, when Donner decided he didn’t want a Superman movie to be campy like a comic book from the 70s, but emphasized on VERISIMILITUDE.

And then I saw the Batman Movies, which I liked a lot as well (The Tim Burton ones) I saw something not as epic as Superman, but something more artistic and well… “different”, which I appreciated.

And then there were a lot of movies that I didn’t like – Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, etc.

By that time CG was going to be the next best thing and every studio that could afford it started churning out movies based on videogames and comic books – the Tomb Raider movies, Resident Evil and a lot of others.

Once Marvel entered movies with Blade, X-Men and Spider-Man, I couldn’t have been happier. For the first time Marvel superheroes were on screen and they were being shot with such finesse and style that I thought the day had come when such movies could be as meaningful as Richard Donner had intended with STM.

And then when I discovered SuperHeroHype, I realized that I’d actually touched the tip of the iceberg. There were and ARE so many movies under production, based on comic books, games, etc. that it makes one dizzy.

Last year, when Batman Begins came out, my fear that Genre films were getting old was put to rest and I thought that there’s always scope to show that storytelling is the heart of all good filmmaking. Batman Begins specifically made me notice that perhaps because of repeated failures (Catwoman included) WB finally realized that they have to respect their franchises, which Marvel started with, yet now seems to do less of sadly.

Although we still see dime-a-dozen movies like Ultraviolet, Aeon Flux and others…

Still, we are going to be seeing Superman again on the silver screen and it looks like Singer is going to make it bigger and better than anything we’ve ever seen.

We’re really luck to be able to see all of these characters on the big screen. I think Genre films ARE getting better, bit by bit, and for some reason, I’m not bored yet. Sure there’ll be some bad films, but I’m sure there are great things to look forward to.

I for one am excited.

PS – Forgive me if the post is too long!

Bad english, my friend.

You mean " Are the Superhero Genre films getting better" ?

Everything has a genre, which is a pigeon hole / subject.

Captain Villa said:
Bad english, my friend.

You mean " Are the Superhero Genre films getting better" ?

Everything has a genre, which is a pigeon hole / subject.

You're right, I've made the correction.

I've just heard that term used loosely for Superhero Genre films so many times, that my fingers slipped! :D

Thanks.

Edit: I seem to be able to only edit my post. How can I change the title of the thread/poll?

I was thinking that someone might post something about how they've felt Superhero movies have evolved or which ones they liked/didn't like, which ones were turning points.

40-odd views. Still waiting...

rohitiyer said:
I was thinking that someone might post something about how they've felt Superhero movies have evolved or which ones they liked/didn't like, which ones were turning points.

40-odd views. Still waiting...
I...really don't think there was any real turning points. Just a slow progression of getting better and better. First you had Superman: The Movie, which was excellently made, but still a bit campy. Then you had BATMAN which brought a little darkness to the genre, then Marvel did some good things with X-Men and Spider-Man, and now DC's back in the game with Batman, and V For Vendetta, and Superman Returns.

I guess you could count all the movies I've listed as turning points as there's tons of bad films littered in between them - and some good ones too - but I just don't see it as one film just soaring ahead above the others. Although, admittedly, Superman: The Movie did a lot for the genre by having such talent, and star power attached to the film. Not to mention the great plot stucture which has been reused more than once since then.

And this is going to be moved to Misc. Movies. You'll probably get more on-topic posts there.

What we have now?
Superman franchise coming back!
A new beginning of Batman franchise!
Spidey franchise!

What we will get?
WATCHMEN!
Flash franchise is appearing
The same with Iron man
The same with Green Lantern

Hmmm...tough question. I don't necessarily think that superhero genre films are getting any better. There are good ones and there are bad ones. I think that advances in technology gives the director more options to showcase comic book action but that does not necessarily make for better movies. What it still comes down to, as it always has, is whether or not the story is good and well executed. Special effects are just a tool.

There aren't really any turning points, in my opinion. There are just good movies and bad ones. Good ones, like Superman: The Movie, Batman, X-men 2, and Spider-man 2 all used their special effects to tell a good story. Others, like Catwoman, Batman and Robin, and Elektra had superior technology to the likes of S:tM and Batman '89 but they are lacking in deft storytelling and it shows.

Now, if you had asked if superhero genre films have gained more respectability, my answers would be completely different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"