The Wolverine "Are These All The Reviews You Brought?" -The Official Review Thread

What exactly was Logan doing at the beginning when he was [BLACKOUT]clawing the trees? Marking territory? Leaving a trail? Neither of those make much sense.[/BLACKOUT]

Marking his territory. Looked as though him and 'yogi' had a friendly competition going on.:yay:

OK in the post-cred scene [BLACKOUT]the first black guy we see going through the metal detectors, could that have been the soon-to-be-named-Bishop? Cause he sure looked like the picture to me[/BLACKOUT]

MOS and The Wolverine, my two favorite movies of the year so far (don't let me down Thor TDW). Yukio was awesome.

OK in the post-cred scene [BLACKOUT]the first black guy we see going through the metal detectors, could that have been the soon-to-be-named-Bishop? Cause he sure looked like the picture to me[/BLACKOUT]

ugh no.

Just saw it...loved it! great story, great performances, and a lot of intense action...Definitely up there with the first two xmen movies...The crowd even applauded after the movie.

Last edited:
Is this critics praising Jackman or not? I am unable to make out.
In The Wolverine, Hugh Jackman takes the live-action superhero body to a disturbing new place. And, no, it's not the gym. Well, it's not only the gym. Most of the movie is him in and out of a white tank top, his arms and shoulders abubble and athrob, the veins flowing with god knows what. His body is beyond fitness, beyond fat, beyond muscles, beyond ready comprehension. It is beyond the human body as the movies have previously depicted it. I've never seen anything like this, and I've seen John Travolta in Staying Alive, Demi Moore in G.I. Jane, and Sylvester Stallone in everything. Jackman surpasses what they've done. Yes, he seems performance-enhanced and computer-generated. But his body appears to be … acting.

He has pumped himself all the way up, after having worked himself down to nothing to bench press the show tunes in Les Misérables. Jackman placed a similar stress on the character's body in the previous movie. But this time there's no glory in any of it. There's no sexiness, either. All Jackman does here is strain and grunt and suffer. You rarely see an actor work this hard just to express more work, but he's made a complete surrender to the exercise of exercise. When Travolta danced in his loincloth (under Stallone's direction, too), it was vanity. When Moore shaved her head and did one-arm push-ups, it was politics. With Jackman, it's neither. Whether he's cutting open his chest and feeling around for his heart, pretending to slice into the roof of a speeding train, or holding on to grating that overlooks a cliff, Jackman is giving us the camp of martyrdom. His charisma has gone to his biceps and his chest and his delts and his abs. It's not sweat that's pouring out of those muscles. It's The Messiah.
http://www.grantland.com/blog/holly...ate-blanchett-outdoes-herself-for-woody-allen

What a bizarre review.

Point of note: If people are struggling to understand your point, you've gone beyond pretentiousness.

What a bizarre review.

Point of note: If people are struggling to understand your point, you've gone beyond pretentiousness.

That is strange, I read grantland just as much as I lurk around here and Wesley morris is usually a very good film reviewer. I have noticed in the past he does have some trouble with cbm's though.

I like X-Men, Love X2 & First Class, was majorly disappointed in, but did not hate X-Men 3, and didn't like Origins, outside of a few things (such as Jackman, Schriber, and the score.) So, how does this hold up against the others? Well, for sure it's one of my favorites of the franchise, and superhero movies in general. I even like that they reference the lesser movies of the series, (I think I heard him scream Kayla?), proving that, outside of continuity consistencies, this is one singular franchise and nothing is kicked out of a X-Men movie timeline. FOX is really trying hard to make great movies. Jackman was a class act, as always, the action was great, the CGI looked awesome, Marco Beltrami wrote the most interesting and diverse score of the franchise, and the story was extremely mature, while still being accessible to children. The third act didn't bother me so much as it did other people,
(I could see the big Silver Samurai reveal coming from a mile away)
, so overall I would give this a solid 9/10. Bring on DOFP.

I just, I don't see the rift with the third act many people are seeing. It is largely more effects heavy than what came before, but thematically it was leading up to that point the WHOLE time.

Ouch down to 66% with 167 reviews :(.

Sadly, the band wagon has opened up for poor reviews. Just hoping it stays fresh. It will talk a lot to get it to 60 though.

Most of the negative will now come from the so called "FLOP" at the box office. These idiots are comparing to Xmen: Origins 85 million. So when it went 55 million at the box office (which mind you is tops for this time of year) they consider a 30 million drop FLOP status. Origins got 85 million because it opened in may against nothing........

IDIOTS

Well even though there's a 30 million difference from Origins and TW, the good thing is the budget for the TW was brought down to 30 million compare to Origin's budget.

Nice! Glad its at least higher then Elysium. That was really one of the worst written films I've seen this year. Not that it matters in the end, but I don't get how these critics look at films anymore.

I thought people were being way too tough on the comic flicks this year. The Comic flicks were just as entertaining if not better then all the other big blockbusters released imo.

Last edited:
Nice! Glad its at least higher then Elysium. That was really one of the worst written films I've seen this year. Not that it matters in the end, but I don't get how these critics look at films anymore.

I thought people were being way too tough on the comic flicks this year. The Comic flicks were just as entertaining if not better then all the other big blockbusters released imo.

I have to agree if it wasnt for CBM's and TW especially this would have been one weak year for movie's.

Compared to the competition I have seen, which may not be many granted, things like Oblivion was great looking but a bit dull, Red 2 was pretty dire, Die Hard was one of the worst films I have ever seen, even Gi Joe 2 was on par with these and I didnt really expect that to be honest from a film based on a kids toy. Worlds End had some funny moments at least but I would take IM3 over most of these and that was the worst CBM for me this year.

I do fear for Elysium and Kick-Ass2, reviews on the first seem mixed but then TW was too so we shall see. I spose Thor 2 and The Hobbit might see the year end well, but then not being a huge fan of the proceeding film for either of those two doesnt bode well for me.

It seems though that you have to be a kids cartoon to get great ratings these days. I dont think its some great conspiracy against comic book movies, some in the past have had great reviews but maybe that CBM fatigue some people talk about is getting to some folk.

I think it is getting to critics but not so much with audiences. I think big budget movies in general were dished out too much this year. Alot of bombs, I think 3 or 4 made the top 15 flops of all time.

Elysium just really disappointed me. From what I've seen the R rated clips of Kick-Ass 2 look great and very much like the comic. I think my favorite flick of the summer was This Is The End. But IM3 and Wolverine are not far behind. Next year should be insane with the CB movies.

I think it is getting to critics but not so much with audiences. I think big budget movies in general were dished out too much this year. Alot of bombs, I think 3 or 4 made the top 15 flops of all time.

Elysium just really disappointed me. From what I've seen the R rated clips of Kick-Ass 2 look great and very much like the comic. I think my favorite flick of the summer was This Is The End. But IM3 and Wolverine are not far behind. Next year should be insane with the CB movies.

Yeah, I think your right, critics seem to have the attitude of "oh no not another one" where as we are itching for the next one. But the critics are supposed to be there for us, not themselves, I think a lot of the established order are way out of touch with audiences these days, but thats the way of things as ever.

I have been to the cinema more times this year than any other,as its a lot cheaper now, but I cant say I have seen more great films in fact probably less. There have been some major dissapointments this year. I liked MoS but it wasnt quite what I expecting, IM3 was a big step down from Avengers last year and Oblivion was another let down as the trailers looked so good. Last year with Avengers,TDKR and Dredd there were three great CBM, this year we have had one so far.

I shall look forward to Elysium but I am expecting great things from it even though reception is mixed. KickAss 2 could be fun but I fear that they wont be able to capture the magic of the first, we shall see.

Yes maybe next year will be better, I do hope so:up:

It seems though that you have to be a kids cartoon to get great ratings these days. I dont think its some great conspiracy against comic book movies, some in the past have had great reviews but maybe that CBM fatigue some people talk about is getting to some folk.

CBM has replaced the action genre...more or less.People knows that if they want spectacle, CBM is the place to go.This CBM fatique that some people-mostly critics-keep mentioning for a few years now, is not gonna happen anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"