Days of Future Past The Official X-Men: First Class Rate and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second Top Critic has weighed in positively.
http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117945347?refcatid=31

It's remarkable how many things "First Class" gets right, whether it's the decision to have characters speak different languages as the film's frequent globe-trotting dictates, or the casting of Fassbender and McAvoy.

After undergoing some unfortunate mutations in recent years, a beleaguered Marvel movie property gets the smart, stylish prequel it deserves in "X-Men: First Class." Reclaiming much of the pop-operatic grandeur and insouciant wit so evident in the series' first two installments, director/co-writer Matthew Vaughn imagines the rise of Professor X, Magneto and their earliest mutant disciples as a '60s-set origin story, steeped in Cold War paranoia and served up with a delightful Rat Pack swagger. Strong word of mouth, franchise popularity and the public's seemingly inexhaustible appetite for comicbook fare should keep "First Class" at a high B.O. altitude worldwide.

Yeah, Variety posted that Sunday night. No idea why it's only just been added to RT.

:up:

We took a giant down People!!!

Yeah, Variety posted that Sunday night. No idea why it's only just been added to RT.

:up:

Not sure how they go about business, from the sound of it half the reviews are missing.

If it wasn't for Armond White I'd assume there was some sort of standard, so what gives?

Y'know, I knew this movie would be good simply because Matthew Vaughn was directing. Even though there was no buzz for it like the other three superhero films and all the other fans looked down on it as "another X-Men film without Wolverine," I could tell the Bond-ish setting and talent would make it at least decent (a huge step up from the franchise). Layer Cake was good, Stardust was great, Kick-Ass was....well kick-ass. There seemed t be a pattern....

With that said, I am honestly shocked by the reviews and WOM. I thought this would be the gem that got ignored (a bigger scale Kick-Ass, in short), but the glowing reviews have caused tracking to shoot up $10-$15 million for its opening weekend and $40-$50 million more total.

This is a very pleasant surprise.

RT Consensus is Out
With a strong script, stylish direction, and powerful performances from its well-rounded cast, X-Men: First Class is a welcome return to form for the franchise.

How did they do that? Thor had to have over 50 logged reviews and at least 4-5 top critics before RT did the consensus.

Just saw a TV spot with pull quotes from the reviews. My favorite: "They saved the best for first!"

Commercial ended with Magneto asking "Who's with me?" and the pistol-packing Xavier. :up:

And you need to learn the difference between its and it's. It's is short for 'it is', with the apostrophe taking the place of a missing letter. For instance: It's the best film (It is the best film). The dog wagged its tail (you cannot say 'the dog wagged it is tail' so the correct word is its). Basic grammar, basic English....

No, you read an entire paragraph where you'll note that I made a small mistake near the top of the one you quoted and had correct apostrophe usage further down, thereby indicating that I already know "the difference between its and it's". :whatever:

The movie hasn't opened yet. When the movie opens, we'll have a poll.

The usual story is the polls don't appear when the movie opens. They often don't appear until the movie releases in the US, which can be days after they hit the screens in some cases. The first release is the 1st of June. My first public show is still 8 hours away, but it looks like some places in the world will be running it shortly.

going to see this friday...looking forward to it.

It's 32-1 on RT. 3 Top Critic Reviews.

Midnight premiere in 2 days! Still shocked how excited I've become over this film over the last few months.

It's 32-1 on RT. 3 Top Critic Reviews.

I only saw 2 top critics. Variety and THR-who's the 3rd.

By the way, I expect to see a couple more negs popping up soon on RT. Couple of reviewers already tweeted some stuff. So the score will be going down. It's all good though.

edit: never mind. See him now. Orl Sentinel

The usual story is the polls don't appear when the movie opens. They often don't appear until the movie releases in the US, which can be days after they hit the screens in some cases. The first release is the 1st of June. My first public show is still 8 hours away, but it looks like some places in the world will be running it shortly.

And if we put up a poll early, people who haven't seen the movie vote anyway and mess up the results. Very few people here have seen the movie, so there's no poll yet.

Surely you can last until at least tomorrow when the movie has officially opened overseas, when I was planning to add a poll.

Continue to annoy me about this and there won't be a poll until at least the weekend. And everyone will know that it's your fault we don't have one.

UGO, A-
High school history teachers may not enjoy X-Men: First Class (who knew Adlai Stevenson had the X-gene?) but anyone who likes to have a solid mix of good cheer and adventure will be having a great time right up until Michael Ironside shows up. Then they’ll be having a great time.
http://www.ugo.com/movies/xmen-firstclass-review

Another positive from the Orlando Sentinel. Looking good. :)

From The Film Pilgrim:
McAvoy and Fassbender work off each other perfectly, McAvoy with his genetic seduction techniques and up front humour and Fassbender with his sarcasm and dry wit balance and complement each other as if they’d been born friends.
Omg, they are Lennon & McCartney! :awesome:

How many top critics does it take to make the movie "certified fresh"? So far we have 3, both positive. I remember hearing it was only 5, not sure though.

How many top critics does it take to make the movie "certified fresh"? So far we have 3, both positive. I remember hearing it was only 5, not sure though.

Rotten Tomatoes awards the Certified Fresh accolade to theater releases reviewed by 40 or more Tomatometer Critics (including 5 Top Critics) that score at least 75% or higher on the Tomatometer. A film remains Certified Fresh unless its Tomatometer falls below 60%.

It'll be certified by tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back