Comics Are you ready for the SECOND COMING of the Mutant Messiah?

Yeah, I can't wait to see more of Bishop acting like a psycho while claiming to do the right thing.

Cyclops: "Bishop, why did you unleash an army of sentinels on our school full of children?"
Bishop: "So you'd be too distracted by tending to the injured and dying to stop me from killing the baby."

Charles: "Why did you shoot me in the head?"
Bishop: "That was a mistake. I was trying to shoot the baby in the head."

Forge: "Why did you sneak into my lab and bash my brains in?"
Bishop: "So I could kill the baby when Cable brought her to your lab."
Forge: "Why did you do it a second time?"
Bishop: "I wanted to steal one of your time-traveling arm thingies."

Beast: "Why did you allow yourself to get captured by X-Force?"
Bishop: "So that I could explain to Cyclops why I was trying to kill the baby, and bring you all around to my side?"
Cyclops: "So why didn't you tell me while you were here?"
Bishop: "Because I was too busy unleashing airborn nanites that would render you all unconscious so I could escape without actually telling you anything."

So who did Hope 'mimic' that kind of ground raising thing she did? Was Avalanche around? Or did I misinterpret the image and it was really senting ice along the ground to erupt in an iceberg under Bastion's feet, in which case I think Bobby was on the bridge.

Maybe her mutant power is now all those powers she displayed, but no more. I don't know about the Phoenix Raptor if its a proximity thing. But seeing as the x-gene is sort of in a constant state of flux or dormancy until activated by whatever trigger factor comes along, it could be that hers triggered to the loss of Cable, and adapted/settled on whatever it took to punish the main thing responsible for that and to survive herself. Because Cable raised her and died for her, to ensure her survival and so that would be her main drive - to make his life, their time together, and his sacrifice worth something.

Around her was no one means to do that, so her x-gene tapped into everything surrounding her, and maybe the Phoenix Raptor is a sign of the White Hot Room watching over them all during this crisis, but unable to interfere (similar to Watchers).

All that said - it doesnt make her powers really that special in of themselves, and therefore her importance is purely her existence, not what she can do for mutantkind by existing. We've had a bunch of mimics, power enhancers etc. There was no real reason Rogue shouldnt have been able to absorb a tonne of powers and take Bastion down exactly the same as Hope did.

You'd think that, but Rogue didn't fare too well with the A-team's powers when she tried to face Bastion. He all but tipped her upside-down and mopped the floor with her.

Given that Hope massacred Bastion, one can speculate there's a lot more power there. Maybe she amplifies the powers she mimics.

So who did Hope 'mimic' that kind of ground raising thing she did? Was Avalanche around? Or did I misinterpret the image and it was really senting ice along the ground to erupt in an iceberg under Bastion's feet, in which case I think Bobby was on the bridge.
Magma. She can create earthquakes and if you notice theres lava in that scene.

All that said - it doesnt make her powers really that special in of themselves, and therefore her importance is purely her existence, not what she can do for mutantkind by existing. We've had a bunch of mimics, power enhancers etc. There was no real reason Rogue shouldnt have been able to absorb a tonne of powers and take Bastion down exactly the same as Hope did.
We'll have to wait and see but it will be special if she can mimic the powers of mutants who have previously been depowered by M day. The X gene still exists in those characters, but its somehow masked. If she can unmask them with her mimicking powers, Id say thats pretty relevant. Just a theory though but I can see it going that way.

Given that Hope massacred Bastion, one can speculate there's a lot more power there. Maybe she amplifies the powers she mimics.
thats what I thought she did with Nightcrawler bc he wouldnt have had that much range and power. At its core, the PF amplifies ones powers and if Hoep does have that, she may be able to utilize abilities in ways that the original mutant can not

Last edited:
just read the last issue and i thought it was great. the X-Force chapter was by far the best part of it and its actually got me pretty psyched for its revamping.

One major disappointment is that I cant believe they didnt deal with the issue of Scott and X-force. WTF? This guy has been extra shady and dark for the past 2 and a half years and I thought all of that was going to come to light in this arc with a big confrontation. Instead he is confronted OFF panel so we dont get to see the other X-men express their disgust and feelings against him. Is Marvel scared of making Scott look bad? I thought the Confession was going to deal with Beast's confrontation with Scott but that happened off panel just as Beast's off panel rant as he left the X-men for SWORD happen. I wanted to see Storm laugh in his face but they couldnt show that. I especially wanted to see Xavier's reaction but they skipped out on that too.

At least it looks like Fraction is finally going to tie up the loose ends from the Sisterhood arc.

When Rogue was shown at the funeral, was I the only one that thought for a second that she was going to lose it and reveal to have been screwing Cable in the past? I almost expected Marvel to make a running joke out of that.

I think it would be more intresting if Marvel didnt confirm anything and make it look like Emma is slowly losing her mind. Make it so that she is the only one that sees these phoenix manifestations within Hope. She has every reason to be scared bc the Phoenix nearly killed her in the early 80s and she saw how it tainted and used the teenage cuckoos in Warsong. Now she thinks she could be seeing that same thing happen with another teenage girl? Have her voice her opinion and have the other Xmen see her as crazy, not beleiving her bc Hope shows zero signs of having any type of connection. It would be funny to see Emma be spooked, randomly seeing Hope in the red costume attempting to kill her. Play it off like she's having a mental breakdown until Marvel is finally ready to reveal Hope's true origins and if and how she connects to the PF

Last edited:
I figured that was the old crew trying to save a bit of face in front of the younger crew, sortta keeping it in the "family". But I hope that this resentment will play out more in the future, and I loved Wolverine's initiative in retaining an X-force.

I confess that I still have some confusion about Hope. She's the be all and end all of mutantcy? One part it's explained by Prodigy that she's everything that was lost on M Day the next we see a Phoenix manifestation when the five lights appeared and Emma freaking (which I agree would be an interesting storyline for Emma to be seemingly going mad). I need to have Elixir brought back, he knows exactly who and what Hope is.

Overall opinion of Second Coming: It pleased me

I love how Land was too lazy to photoshop the jetpack off Cyclops in the last Cyclops panel of the X-Force chapter.

Why did he photoshop the jetpack on him in the first place?

Yeah, Greg Land isn't flawed. Insert rolling-of-eyes here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"