Ari Aster's Midsommar (2019)

Boom

I got nothin'
Reaction score
Given the insane buzz that Hereditary has been building since January, A24 seems eager to stay in the Ari Aster business.

Details are under wraps for now, but Deadline dropped this little bit of info:

it follows a young woman who reluctantly joins her boyfriend on a summer trip where things quickly go awry.

http://deadline.com/2018/05/ari-aster-hereditary-a24-commitment-next-horror-film-1202385437/

Aster also had this to say in an interview with IndieWire:

The attention has earmarked Aster, an AFI film school graduate whose short films have gained traction on the festival circuit over the past decade, as an exciting new writer-director. Aster already had representation through WME at Sundance, but the reception to “Hereditary” led him to receive a whole new set of offers to discuss studio projects. So far, however, he’s saying no to all of them.

“I’m not interested,” he said, in an interview at a raucous brewery in New Orleans’ French Quarter, where “Hereditary” was screening as the closing night entry at The Overlook Film Festival, an annual horror movie showcase. “It’s fun to get these offers,” he said, “but I’ve got so many films I want to make.” He’s already scouting locations for his next project, based off another original screenplay, though he declined to elaborate on the details. “It’s folk horror, but like ‘Hereditary,’ it’s also something else — it becomes horror,” he said, and added that, among the several projects he’s written, it’s the “only other horror project out of everything else I want to do.”

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/hereditary-horror-movies-overlook-film-festival-1201955714/ (This is a very good interview, BTW)

Last edited:
Hereditary looks absolutely ****ed, so I'm definitely curious.

It's tentatively titled "Midsommer."

Ari Aster has written the script and will direct what is tentatively titled 'Midsommer.'

A24 is reteaming with Ari Aster, the filmmaker behind its upcoming buzzy horror movie Hereditary, for a new horror project.

Aster has written the script and will direct what is tentatively titled Midsommer, which he plans on shooting late summer or early fall.

The story centers on a young woman, already dealing with the death of her parents, who joins her boyfriend and his friends on a trip to Sweden, specifically to a remote town with unique midsummer traditions. Things go south from there.

Aster’s Hereditary has been generating buzz since premiering at the Sundance Film Festival earlier this year. The movie stars Toni Collette as a mother who must protect her family from a deadly, and seemingly ancestral, supernatural force left behind when the family’s matriarch passes away.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...ry-filmmaker-team-new-horror-thriller-1109917

I can't wait.

Hereditary looks batsh** insane, but if you guys haven't seen The Strange Thing About the Johnsons... man. Ari Aster is a disturbing director (in a good way).

I can't wait.

Hereditary looks batsh** insane, but if you guys haven't seen The Strange Thing About the Johnsons... man. Ari Aster is a disturbing director (in a good way).
Aster's Munchausen didn't do much for me, but The Strange Thing About the Johnsons was just, yeah, wow. It's so over the top in so many ways that it makes these Hereditary trailers look generic in comparison.

“Hereditary” Director On Next Film “Midsommer”
By Garth Franklin
Friday, June 15th 2018 7:28 pm

Ari Aster’s horror tale “Hereditary” is already one of the year’s most acclaimed films, and now the filmmaker has begun discussing his next projects as part of recent interviews with Film Comment and THR.
“Hereditary” is first and foremost a family drama, the type of film Aster began his career on, but it is the first of his to introduce horror elements. His immediate next film titled “Midsommer” he dubs an apocalyptic breakup movie and will go even further down the horror vein:
“It’s Scandinavian folk horror. That is the only other horror movie I have. And I’m pretty sure that’s going to be it for a long time. I love the genre, I consider myself a genre filmmaker in that I want to play in every genre. I would love to make a musical. I have ten other scripts that I’ve written that I want to make and there are other things I have. I’m writing a sci-fi film and there are at least four or five movies that I have ready to go that I am excited about making that I’d like to do in succession.”
The story follows a young couple’s vacation to a Swedish village where they discover the residents’ odd traditions and rituals. One of the couple carries pain from a recently deceased loved one, and soon an impending dread takes hold. Filming on “Midsommer” is slated to begin in August with location shooting in Hungary.

Already can't wait.

After Herediatary, I'm eager to see what else Aster has in store. This sounds similar to Herediatary in that the horror will be metaphor for internal strife. Herediatary and Anihilation are the two films this year that have lingered with me long after watching.

Florence Pugh Lands Female Lead in ‘Hereditary’ Director Ari Aster’s Next Film
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/florence-pugh-ari-aster-movie-1202889215/amp/
Florence Pugh is set to star in “Herditary” director Ari Aster’s next film, which A24 is producing.

Pugh broke the news while promoting her new BBC drama “Little Drummer Girl” at this week’s Television Critics Association press tour. Production is currently underway in Budapest.

Following the success of “Hereditary,” which recently became A24’s highest-grossing movie with $70 million worldwide, the studio was quick to sign on to finance and distribute Aster’s next film.

Plot details are being kept under wraps. Aster also penned the script. Lars Knudsen is producing.

Pugh stars in BBC/AMC’s limited series “Little Drummer Girl” for director Park Chan-Wook. The series, based on a John Le Carré novel and also starring Alexander Skarsgård and Michael Shannon, premieres in October for eight episodes.

Pugh is also the female lead in Netflix drama “Outlaw King,” which will debut on Nov. 9, directed by David Mackenzie. She just landed the coveted role of Amy March in Greta Gerwig’s remake of “Little Women” alongside Emma Stone, Meryl Streep, Saoirse Ronan, and Timothee Chalamet.

Pugh is a 2018 BAFTA Breakthrough nominee and BFI winner for best actress for her critically acclaimed performance in 2017’s “Lady Macbeth.”

Jack Reynor, Will Poulter to Star in Ari Aster’s Follow-Up to ‘Hereditary’

Jack Reynor and Will Poulter are nearing deals to join Florence Pugh in the new horror movie from Hereditary director Ari Aster, sources tell Collider.

Pugh and Reynor will play a couple that travels to Sweden to visit their friend’s rural hometown for it’s fabled mid-summer festival. What begins as an idyllic retreat quickly devolves into an increasingly violent and bizarre competition at the hands of a pagan cult.

We’ve heard the ensemble will also include Vilhem Blomgren, William Jackson Harper, Ellora Torchia and Archie Madekwe.
http://collider.com/jack-reynor-will-poulter-ari-aster-movie/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Last edited:
Nice cast. Looking forward to getting new horror movies from Robert Eggers and Ari Aster next year.

giphy.gif

I guess this got a title change.

Also, any chance a mod could rename this thread? Ari Aster's Midsommar should do the trick.

Last edited:
There's a similar Danish movie with this title so maybe they changed the title.....

If you created the thread you can edit the title with the ‘Thread Tools’ tab.

Last edited:
I just want the trailer already, it's my most anticipated of the year and Florence will slay so hard

If you created the thread you can edit the title of a thread with the thread tools tab.
Coolio. Thanks for the tidbit. :up:

Went ahead and retitled it Summar since that's what the teaser indicates.

You mock AW and we know our stuff over there :)
I post on AwardsWatch from time to time, but I gotta say some of the folks over there are a little... much. :funny:

Like that one-week period where they were patting themselves on the back for destroying Green Book's Best Picture chances with those resurfaced tweets.

Welp.

I post on AwardsWatch from time to time, but I gotta say some of the folks over there are a little... much. :funny:

Like that one-week period where they were patting themselves on the back for destroying Green Book's Best Picture chances with those resurfaced tweets.

Welp.

Oh God :lmao: That started a twitter wide manhunt :lmao: But it makes the win so much funnier

In any case, I've heard mixed things on this one, but from what I understand the script that's floating around out there is an early draft. But for those people who were turned off by the supernatural stuff in Hereditary, this may be more your speed.

Need a trailer right now pls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"