Art portfolio

WeaponZ2

Reaction score
I have to get mine ready for my post secondary education and thought some of you art students could tell me something. Is it all right to do drawings from photos in your sketch book? I was told not to by my one teacher but it seems like its just another case of him being a ******.
What do you think?

Any of my teachers would say that as long as you took the photo, you're fine. If you draw from someone else's photo, say, a photo of Michael Jordan in a magazine or something, you could get into trouble with copywrites. I think you could draw from other people's photos as long as you made it your own and used it more as a reference, as opposed to just copying it.

Well, as always anything you can produce that shows off your skill is always a good idea to add. However, a lot of schools look into how much creativeness and originality you bring to the table. So i'd say a drawing or two shouldn't hurt, but don't saturate your folio with them. =)
Good Luck.
-Syn

One thing I've learned since I got into an Art College is that the teachers that look at your portfolio love to see figure drawings from models.

Mr. Smash'n Bash said:
One thing I've learned since I got into an Art College is that the teachers that look at your portfolio love to see figure drawings from models.

It's hard for me to find people to model for me. But I'll step up my efforts.

WeaponZ2 said:
It's hard for me to find people to model for me. But I'll step up my efforts.

If you're looking for life drawing check at your art supply shop, there are usually advertisements for them, also check with colleges some have after hours life drawing which you can get in on.

Mrh7448 said:
If you're looking for life drawing check at your art supply shop, there are usually advertisements for them, also check with colleges some have after hours life drawing which you can get in on.

I have nither of those near me. But when I get back to school they have a model during lunch period sometimes so I can us that.
Thanks though.

Also, wondering about licensed characters (Spider-man etc). I'm sure thats a BIG NO, NO. But I do have a drawing inspired by the film Highlander.....

I also have sequencel art in it as well and my art teacher/s told me that it was a great idea. Do any of you agree?

WeaponZ2 said:
I have nither of those near me. But when I get back to school they have a model during lunch period sometimes so I can us that.
Thanks though.

Also, wondering about licensed characters (Spider-man etc). I'm sure thats a BIG NO, NO. But I do have a drawing inspired by the film Highlander.....

I also have sequencel art in it as well and my art teacher/s told me that it was a great idea. Do any of you agree?

As long as you are not getting any profit from the use of liscensed figures, you will not have any problem using it. I don't think Marvel is going to flag your portfolio and not let you get any work because you have a spider-man picture.

jamin686 said:
Any of my teachers would say that as long as you took the photo, you're fine. If you draw from someone else's photo, say, a photo of Michael Jordan in a magazine or something, you could get into trouble with copywrites. I think you could draw from other people's photos as long as you made it your own and used it more as a reference, as opposed to just copying it.

You can ONLY get in trouble for copyright infingement if you are profiting from what you make. No photographer is going to hunt down some random artist and sue him for copying his picture for a portfolio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"