Do you consider manips as art?

Neto Magnus

Superhero
Reaction score
Something has been on my mind lately. I've noticed more and more new people here are making manips. Most of them are just recolorings and stuff 'borrowed' from other manippers. It just seems like just because someone has photoshop that they can create anything and call it art. Now I'm not trying to criticize anyone cuz everyone has to start out somewhere but I'm getting the feeling that all these simple manips and fan posters are diminishing the value of manips in general.

Most people here don't seem to appreciate all the hard work and time that goes into creating manips. And there seems to be less people visiting the fan art boards other then the regulars of course.

Anyway the point I'm trying to make is this. Do you guys consider manips to be a vaild art form in the same league as drawings and paintings? Or are they just a quick joke or visual references?

I've been in the middle of this debate numerous times. There is most definitely a line where a quick edit to a photo does not constitute an artistic rendering. However there's definitely a point of reconstruction where the original image is no longer the focal point, where the sum of the parts equal more than their bases themselves.

Anyone can throw pencil to paper or slap some paint on a canvas. That's not art. Just like anyone can pick up a copy of photoshop and paste a bunch of images together.

There is however loads of talent out there. Neto, you and JMC are two that immediately come to mind. Barney as well.

I've gone with some are good and some are bad....some are great and i agree with your post neto. Its very annoying when people use your manips without either asking you or giving you credit, its annoying cause some of the manips I make take absolute hours and to not even get credit for that is very annoying. If someone like something Ive done enough to want to use it themselves I would rather they used it as inspiration instead

good post syncos I agree with everything you said there

I've been in the middle of this debate numerous times. There is most definitely a line where a quick edit to a photo does not constitute an artistic rendering. However there's definitely a point of reconstruction where the original image is no longer the focal point, where the sum of the parts equal more than their bases themselves.

Anyone can throw pencil to paper or slap some paint on a canvas. That's not art. Just like anyone can pick up a copy of photoshop and paste a bunch of images together.

There is however loads of talent out there. Neto, you and JMC are two that immediately come to mind. Barney as well.
Yea thats true. I didn't think about some of the mediocre drawings out there. I guess theres good and bad in all forms of art. Its all in the eye of the beholder.

I've gone with some are good and some are bad....some are great and i agree with your post neto. Its very annoying when people use your manips without either asking you or giving you credit, its annoying cause some of the manips I make take absolute hours and to not even get credit for that is very annoying. If someone like something Ive done enough to want to use it themselves I would rather they used it as inspiration instead
i don't realy mind when people use my manips but to go as far as to steal something and call it your own is messed up. Cuz the they end up getting all the praises of how good their stuff is when all they did was just copy and paste it.

When I see a really good manip, I get inspired. But there haven't been alot of good stuff here lately. It's a bit depressing seeing nothing but copied ideas and simple recolorings all the time. It's why I don't want to go to the TDK fan art threads anymore. :(

I didn't think so until joining the hype

I viewed manips as cheating or a shortcut

Today I see at as just as valid as drawing

There are good and bad artists using every media available and manips are no different

Manip on dudes and dudetes!

like anything else, it depends on the love and quality put into it. you can't just paste someone's head on another picture that has totally different lighting then throw on a few filters and expect people to call it art.

I didn't think so until joining the hype

I viewed manips as cheating or a shortcut

Today I see at as just as valid as drawing

There are good and bad artists using every media available and manips are no different

Manip on dudes and dudetes!
Yea but now it just seems like theres more cheaters and shortcuters rather than ones taking this seriously.

like anything else, it depends on the love and quality put into it. you can't just paste someone's head on another picture that has totally different lighting then throw on a few filters and expect people to call it art.
yup. I mean i can understand when its just a head swap to get a laugh cuz I've done many of those. But I dunno l think manips are now getting a bad rep and that its a dying art form. (or a never was an art form)

Even professional graphic artists seem to be getting lazy. Like some of the boring movie posters or magazine ads out now.

I think manips are art, but I HATE when people use others work, regardless if they had permission or not. And im not big on recolouring either. I like when people take time to do manips and use mroe than one picture in making them.
When I started, I used to do simple head swaps and recolourings, but now, I cant even use the same body more than once.

As a whole - not art

Certain manips - could be classified as art

what would you say defines this??

The ones that people actually put tons of work into doing. Like the fake screenshots that get everyone talking and you eventually find out it was just fan made but is still on par with the studio made stuff.

Not the ones where people take the head off one picture and put it on another.

Some manips are defintly classified as Art, especially those who use a creative spin to it and play with Composition, Depth, Postioning, and Lighting. Not the i have a picture of Hue Laurie let me make his coat Green and throw the bat symbol on the bottom.

9 out of 10 times, no, probably not art. It's of course completely subjective. Most of the manips I do are quick things to convey an idea or concept to other people when words fail to do so.

The way I see it, a manip is art if you do something to make the images you manipulate unique. Just changing colors or passing an image through a few filters doesn't cut it.

An example:

Turning this

479713a1zn7.jpg

into this...

479713p2vx5.jpg

is art.

This is not (original) art:

tempob0.jpg

Last edited:
I'm on the side thinking some are good and some bad:
Those you can see have taken a lot of hard hours and skill to get a realistic result (especially when the mannipper has likely not had much to work with) certainly qualify as art to me.

Those which are a basic cut and paste job (a head swap and the like), or a simple photoshop filter, then nah...Technically I guess it could still be called art, but I wouldn't consider it as that myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"