The Amazing Spider-Man ASM: The Things You LIKED Thread

im amazed by how many critical complains people are giving this film about things that they feel dont make any sense, when raimi's films were full of them sorta silly scenes, even spiderman 2

Okay... I'll bite.

First and foremost... Andrew Garfield. What can I say that hasn't already been said? He gives multifaceted, endearing performance. Has great comic timing too. I've become a fan.

I honestly think that Spidey has been done right this time. It's more than the costume and the action. It's about the personality behind the mask coming alive for me.
My reference point for all things Spidey is the '81 cartoon series voiced by Ted Schwartz and I think there are enough resonances from that for me to buy into this new Spidey.

Unlike a lot of detractors, I really liked the ambiguities in this film. I also like the lack of resolution with regards to Uncle Ben's killer and Peter's parents. While I wouldn't say that it is more "realistic", it feels more real. It reminded me of my situation being robbed about ten years ago. It took the cops almost seven years to catch the culprit. Moreover, the city I live in has only probably a tenth of the population of NY.

I like the fact that the film doesn't feel the need to hit the audience over the head with exposition and speechifying. It's all about performances which is why I think it ends up being more intimate and emotional. The effect of which puts the audience right in the action

I liked this film alot more than I thought it would. Gotta love Spidey!
- I loved the relationship between Peter and Gwen, really well done!
- Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy. :)
- The scene where the police attack The Lizard and he is wearing his Labcoat, gotta love the Labcoat Lizard!
- Spider-Man doing quips, or trying to make light of a situation
- The score seemed neat, I'll have to give it a listen standalone
- The wrestling ring and funeral at the end of the film kinda reminded me of the first Raimi film which had a wrestling ring and a funeral at the end(although ASM expanded on that)
- Every mention of Norman Osborn in the film
- Spidey and The Lizard fighting in the high school
- Captain Stacy
- The mystery surrounding Peter's parents and how the film opens
- How the origin story had alterations that was different than the previous film and can stand out on its own

Andrew Garfield was a superb Spider-man. I loved that he took the time to make sure Spidey made jokes while he swung around. I bet the producers just wanted him to glide around and growl at people.

We have a dislike thread, so here's a "what you liked" one! :woot:

-Andrew Garfield as Peter. Absolutely nailed it.

-Andrew as Spider-Man. Straight from the comics. :up:

-Emma Stone as Gwen. Her and Peter had great chemistry. She did way better than I thought she would initially.

-In fact, I liked pretty much all the cast.

-The Lizard's CG. Was way better than I thought it would be. His design also worked very well within the context of the movie.

- The character development. The scene where [BLACKOUT]Peter is arguing with Uncle Ben about his father[/BLACKOUT] and [BLACKOUT]Peter at school after Ben dies[/BLACKOUT] are some of the best scenes in the movie for me, in my opinion. The characters feel real and Peter's struggles feel real.

-The action scenes. All of the action in the film work very well for me. Though I do wish some were a bit longer, I still had a good time with them.

-Stan Lee's cameo. Pure gold.

-Flash becoming a Spidey fan.

-The crane scene. It's been called cheesy, but I really liked this scene. I think some people are calling it cheesy for the sake of criticism.

-The final swing. Loved it.

-The Norman mentions. They seem to be visiting an interesting place in the sequels.

What about you guys?

I have many of the same agreements you do.
Gwen Stacy.she works so much better onscreen than Mary Jane does.

you nailed it,Andrew Garfield as Spiderman.Yeah straight from the comics.same with Stone as Gwen. Hear that Kirsten Dunst? you could leanrn a thing or two about properly portraying the character onscreen.Raimi is more to blame than you are though.thats his responsibility.

the action scenes like you said were pure gold.

Yeah loved Flash becoming a spidey fan.

speaking of Flash,was cool to see him actually used in the movie.He wasnt just there for decoration and a useless character who dissapeared after a brief appearance.was happy about that.

Yes the final swing was awesome.
also loved the opening sequence.

I forgot about the mechs. I thought it was a very wise decision to put those in. I also loved the licensed music they had in the movie. They fit very well.

well they were idiots to leave them out in the first place in the 2002 version. also was very pleased they did not have the spider bite him and wealk off without dying making it possible to go bite others as well.That just ruined the 2002 film for me right there.

Oh loved it that Tobey Mcguire was not present.:woot:

Same with Kirsten Dunce.lol

Thank god they didnt have Peter knowing Gwen Stacy since grade school.Glad to see them get that right as well the second time around.

Peter demonstrated his spidey ability without making it obvious to everybody in the world that he was spiderman.No impossible 180 degree backbends,no hitting someone sending him flying over a 100 feet in the air an impossible feat.was very happy and very pleased they rectified their mistakes for the most part that plauged the 2002 film.

Spider-Man making the web in the sewers so he can find The Lizard.
Capt. Stacy's death. The dialouge between Peter and Stacy was well done.
Webb's Spider-Man suit
The swinging.

also was very pleased they did not have the spider bite him and wealk off without dying making it possible to go bite others as well.That just ruined the 2002 film for me right there.

WOW people sure are piling the hate on the Raimi films here. Did you walk out after that scene since it ruined the movie for you?

Did you prefer that he has spider powers on the way home from getting bitten? Seems kinda fast to me. The Raimi version showing it happening overnight was far superior IMO.

WOW people sure are piling the hate on the Raimi films here. Did you walk out after that scene since it ruined the movie for you?

Did you prefer that he has spider powers on the way home from getting bitten? Seems kinda fast to me. The Raimi version showing it happening overnight was far superior IMO.

Erm.. he's the only person who seems to outright hate the Raimi films here..

I like the idea of the Spider-Man suit being the same sort of thing as the suits Luge/speed-skating atheletes wear. I never thought of it that way before, but it makes total sense. Gotta minimize that wind resistance! I guess it probably protects him from weather conditions and wicks sweat away from the body like a lot of atheletic wear does, too. So practical. So much more than just a unitard! I like that they still pay homage to the idea of the suit being a wrestling costume by having the mask be influenced by it.

why did the spider kept webbed to peter´s neck
or why did it die?
It was probably created for the purpose of making biocable, so it just kept doing its thing when it was on Peter's neck. Probably died because Peter smacked the spot where he felt something bite him. Either that or this kind of spider was designed by Oscorp not to be able to stay alive outside of the controlled environment of that spider room, as sort of a safety measure against any of them getting out?

I like the fact that the film doesn't feel the need to hit the audience over the head with exposition and speechifying. It's all about performances which is why I think it ends up being more intimate and emotional. The effect of which puts the audience right in the action
This kind of put me off the first time I watched it because I wasn't expecting a Spider-Man movie to be like this. I was like "Why does Peter talk so little? Where are the voiceovers?" The second time I paid more attention to facial expressions and non-verbal cues, and really enjoyed the movie.

Andrew Garfield is so good at delivering little wordless moments. That whole sequence in the morning after he got bitten was gold. After he accidentally destroyed the bathroom with his new super-strength, there was one shot of him just sitting still like he's afraid if he moves he would break something else. The freaked-out look there was just perfect. You can practically hear him going "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG..." in his head. Oh, and the look on Peter's face after he broke the basketball hoop? It was so "Oh, crap... sorry!" Cracked me up.

-Spidey appearing battered.

-Pete and Gwen having chemistry

-Gwen actually being a strong character and not needing saving all the bloody time.

-Spidey being funny

-Taking their time with the origin. Not making him 'the hero' straight away.

-The cast

Sure I have more :)

Gwen being done right. :)

the one thing I did like in the film was the way Spidey fought and moved. Much like the ASM game, he felt and looked very spidery.

oh, and I actually liked the score, especially the main theme.

Some of the editing was pretty slick.

The quick cuts between Peter sleeping on the subway, the moving subway train in the tunnel, Peter's DNA changing. The way they made the DNA change look like electricity coursing through the strands and link it with the image of the moving subway train. Very cool. Way better than the super cheesy CGI of DNA strands changing colors in SM1. I mean, it's not horrible the way SM1 did this, but this editing in ASM makes things so much more cinematic. It's not so much like: check it out, here's some CGI!

When he was practicing his moves in the warehouse, they cut in a few quick close-up shots of a spider at the warehouse. It's pretty neat to see the way the spider moves, and compare it with the way Peter moves like a spider. And I'm glad it was just quick cuts so I don't have to stare at the spider for a long time.

My favorite scene transition was the shot of the scaly lizard and then cut to the scaly fish on Peter's plate at dinner. I nearly laughed out loud.

Nah. Not internationally anyway. :woot:

This kind of put me off the first time I watched it because I wasn't expecting a Spider-Man movie to be like this. I was like "Why does Peter talk so little? Where are the voiceovers?" The second time I paid more attention to facial expressions and non-verbal cues, and really enjoyed the movie.

I suspect you're not the only one.
Personally I love it when directors tell their stories through the performances of their actors rather than large swathes of exposition or extended monologues.
I want to feel the emotions with the character rather than be told I have to feel a certain way because the dialogue insist I do.

I find it odd when I read comments about Garfield's PP being a *****e because it seems to me that his PP goes through a whole gamut of feelings in this film and reacts fairly normally to his circumstances consistent with his age. That is what this performance gives us -- someone that we can relate to on a deeper level.

Like a lot of people I wondered if we really needed a reboot so soon but I kept an open mind about it. After seeing the last trailer, I was quite ready for something different.
I'm glad we got something different -- a movie that showed more than told.

That's pretty much what I've been saying; The Amazing Spider-Man shows you what's going on, Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy tells you.

We have a dislike thread, so here's a "what you liked" one! :woot:

-Andrew Garfield as Peter. Absolutely nailed it.

-Andrew as Spider-Man. Straight from the comics. :up:

-Emma Stone as Gwen. Her and Peter had great chemistry. She did way better than I thought she would initially.

-In fact, I liked pretty much all the cast.

-The Lizard's CG. Was way better than I thought it would be. His design also worked very well within the context of the movie.

- The character development. The scene where [BLACKOUT]Peter is arguing with Uncle Ben about his father[/BLACKOUT] and [BLACKOUT]Peter at school after Ben dies[/BLACKOUT] are some of the best scenes in the movie for me, in my opinion. The characters feel real and Peter's struggles feel real.

-The action scenes. All of the action in the film work very well for me. Though I do wish some were a bit longer, I still had a good time with them.

-Stan Lee's cameo. Pure gold.

-Flash becoming a Spidey fan.

-The crane scene. It's been called cheesy, but I really liked this scene. I think some people are calling it cheesy for the sake of criticism.

-The final swing. Loved it.

-The Norman mentions. They seem to be visiting an interesting place in the sequels.

This.

And every scene with Spider-man. The CGI looked brilliant. They truly captured his trademark movements and agility.

I loved James Horner's score.

I loved James Horner's score.

Even with hints of Titanic at times, it's a great score. I gave it a full listen on youtube not too long ago and loved it even more.

I listened to the full score probably 10-20 times on youtube. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"