The Amazing Spider-Man ASM: The Things You LIKED Thread

Hmm after a third viewing, I gotta go with this:

Andrew as Peter/Spider-Man

Any scene with May, Ben and Peter, specifically the last scene they had because I can relate so much and the acting was so on point.

The back and forth between capt stacy and peter, especially when lightning strikes pete and he realizes his error

the entire scene in the sewers.

pete being proactive throughout the whole movie. He seeks out Connors, seeks out the lizard, seeks out trouble basically. He knows the lizard is out there and wants to stop him, not wait for him to come to him.

The school fight.

Peter hanging upside down in his room while listening to the police scanner

The score for the oscorp tower fight

just love the whole flick. seen it 3x now and it hasn't gotten old

One thing I liked when Peter was searching his father out through the Search Engine and as he was entering "Richard P" it automatically entered Richard Pryor until it got cancelled out lol! :)

Oh and those Piano Keys enroute to Oscorp near the end wasn't as bad as what people made it out to be. I actually thought it was rather subtle.

Last edited:
The web swinging in the first part of the movie (where it is practicle) is incredible, so much weight and power and the CG just can't match which is a pity.

I can't believe I've saying this but the POV was really effective.

Basically I love everything in the movie up to the bridge scene.

My gf crying during Uncle B's death scene

It's a tear jerker alright, no question. Garfield sells the emotion far better than Toby does (imho) also the kid in the car is quite an emotional scene as well.

Uncle Ben's death scene... I almost cried.

I loved the fight Peter had with Uncle Ben and Aunt May! Anyone else besides me get goosebumps when Peter Slammed the door and broke it? That was such a awesome scene!!

the way Uncle Ben was written was awesome, kudos to Martin Sheen.

Web Shooters!

Flash as a spidey fan!

Andrew Garfield! -Spidey and peter!

Emma stone (absolutely gorgeous besides the fact that she exceeded my expectations for this movie)

Denis Leary!!!

The Lizard's Look- Most people hate it, I love it!

Peter just being Peter..

[YT]QSVDvPj2G8g&NR=1[/YT]

My favorite bit in the entire movie. Utterly utterly brilliant. I'm going to wear the blu ray player out playing this scene over and over again.

[YT]QSVDvPj2G8g&NR=1[/YT]

My favorite bit in the entire movie. Utterly utterly brilliant. I'm going to wear the blu ray player out playing this scene over and over again.

Yeah it was a very fun scene not to mention Denis Leary at his usually funniest. Delivers his lines as you'd expect him to!! ;)

Yeah it was a very fun scene not to mention Denis Leary at his usually funniest. Delivers his lines as you'd expect him to!! ;)

Of course it's not possible to have practicle effects completely for Spidey but it's so effective when they do have a REAL guy in a suit.

I loved the fight Peter had with Uncle Ben and Aunt May! Anyone else besides me get goosebumps when Peter Slammed the door and broke it? That was such a awesome scene!!
Possibly my favourite scene. The way Uncle Ben and Aunt May were kind of arguing while Ben's trying to discipline Peter was perfect. Had quite a few of those arguments in my household.

Peter's remote controlled door was an awesome touch just to back up his genius.

Peter saying 'mother...' a few times I loved, especially after the phone call.

The main theme coming on in the beginning, love the sound used when the logo came up, gave me the same chills as Horner's theme did during the credits.

Possibly my favourite scene. The way Uncle Ben and Aunt May were kind of arguing while Ben's trying to discipline Peter was perfect. Had quite a few of those arguments in my household.

Peter's remote controlled door was an awesome touch just to back up his genius.

Peter saying 'mother...' a few times I loved, especially after the phone call.

The main theme coming on in the beginning, love the sound used when the logo came up, gave me the same chills as Horner's theme did during the credits.

I bet we'll see even more of the his gadgets in the second film. Now that he's spider-man, he'll probably build stuff to help him like spider tracers,etc. should be interesting.

I'm not a fan of this movie (I rated it a 6/10, and I think that's generous from me), but I'll be positive and list some of the things that worked for me!

-Spider-Man saving the kid in the car. I think this is one moment where the script allowed Andrew Garfield to absolutely shine as the character I know and love. I actually loved it when he gave the kid the mask and told him "It'll make you stronger." I feel that's what the mask actually does for the nerdy and ordinary Peter Parker, so I dug that line a lot.

-Dennis Leary as Captain Stacy. I think he was the most likable character in the movie.

-The webslinging. The final scene of the movie was especially cool to look at.

-Some of the visuals. One that stood out for me was when Spidey was trying to track down the Lizard in the sewer with his strands of web.

-Some of the humor that was used for the Lizard action scenes. Spidey had some fun quips, and I chuckled a bit when he was playing a game on his phone while waiting for the Lizard to show up. :)

Last edited:
I bet we'll see even more of the his gadgets in the second film. Now that he's spider-man, he'll probably build stuff to help him like spider tracers,etc. should be interesting.

There's a reason I really wish the game would be considered canon. :/

Revisited this thread, and I forgot to add one other scene that I really liked in this film:

The aftermath of the final battle in the movie ... When Peter goes back home to Aunt May bloody and bruised. This is another moment where Peter's character is written actually well here, and Andrew Garfield just hits it out of the park when he tells Aunt May, "It was a bad night" and cries in her arms. I didn't feel many things at all when seeing this film, but this moment tugged at my heartstrings, I have to admit. It was one of the few moments in the film that just SCREAMED Spider-Man to me. It sucks to be Spider-Man, and it sucks bad. This scene conveyed that so well.

Like I've stated many times since seeing TASM, I'm not a fan of the movie overall ... But the movie does have a few merits, like the scene I mentioned above. It's a simple, subtle, and genuine moment.

Okay, since I mentioned all the stuff that I DIDN'T like about the film, it's only fair that I mention the stuff I did like:

1. The action choreography, particularly whenever Spider-Man was web-slinging, wall crawling, fighting, etc. The combination of both practical and visual effects--not to mention Garfield himself--really seemed like the comic book character was truly brought to life.

2. Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben. Every scene he was in was just solid and, playing off of Garfield especially, you really got the sense that this was a truly hard-working, stern, witty, and loving surrogate father-figure that, while he could be disappointed in him at times, was very proud of his nephew regardless. Even during the scene in which he reprimands Peter about his father's philosophy, you can tell that his anger comes from both concern and love for his wife AND for Peter, that he knows he can be a better person. Then again, it's Martin Sheen, so how could he NOT deliver the goods.

3. Another good performance: Denis Leary as Captain Stacy. Oh sure, one could argue he was technically playing himself on camera, but he had terrific delivery and timing. In fact, with the exception of Martin Sheen's Uncle Ben, Leary's version of Captain Stacy is probably the best character in the film. In fact, I think his death scene was, strangely enough, more effective than Uncle Ben's.

4. While I do think Emma Stone's portrayal of Gwen made her a little too similar to Kirsten Dunst's Mary Jane in terms of personality at times, she definitely was a stronger character. Not only did she come across as intelligent and share some good chemistry with Garfield, she also wasn't the typical damsel in distress and took a far more active role.

5. The set designs for the Oscorp building, but especially the "web-fluid" lab and chamber housing the genetically-altered spiders, looked absolutely terrific, almost hypnotic.

6. How the film showed Peter developing his powers prior to his Uncle's murder. The subway car sequence was particularly very well staged. Same with his arriving home, which had very nice touches like his catching the fly and him having food cravings (which of course leads to the amusing exchange between Ben and May over how Ben's been lying about how he's liked May's meatloaf the whole time). Heck, I didn't even mind the basketball scene with Flash or the stake-boarding sequence at the docks. That's where I felt Peter Parker's development was the strongest.

7. The bridge scene where Peter saves the boy from the car, i.e. the moment Peter Parker transformed from "Spider-Man the vigilante" to "Spider-Man the superhero." Sure, it's another excuse for Spidey to take off his mask so the audience can see the star, but it totally works in this case. Especially since I think it was also Andrew Garfield's best scene as Peter in the film. Getting the kid to put the mask on because "it will make you strong" makes for a powerful metaphor in and of itself, and the moment in which the dad asks "Who are you?" and Peter pauses then answers "I'm Spider-Man," made me smile and go "Yes you are."

8. Spidey's descent into the sewers and making the web-nest to feel the vibrations. Great looking visuals in that scene. And him playing a game on his smart phone while he waited was a nice touch, as well.

9. Stan Lee's cameo as the classical music loving and utterly oblivious school librarian. People aren't exaggerating when they say it's his best cameo in a Marvel Comics movie.

10. The POV shots. Although I wish that the first one that was also shown in the teaser didn't get so edited down in the film.

1.) Garfield's performance. While the writing of Peter's character was sloppy, Garfiled makes up for this otherwise fatal flaw by giving an inspired performance, that obviously stems from his longtime love of the character.

2.) mechanical web-shooters. While I despised everyone that ran that stupid "NoOrganicWebShooters.com" website from back in the day. I think going back to the original idea was refreshing, and gave peter a new vulnerablility as seen in the sewer fight and the ending fight with lizard.

3.) Martin Sheen - while I think the late Cliff Robertson is the "Marlin Brando" of Uncle Ben's, I really respect the job Martin Sheen did. It was heavily influenced by the Ultimate comics (but at least they didn't give him a pony tail), however he gave an inspired performance and one to be admired.

4.) Dennis Leary - This was the Captain Stacey of the comics. I thought he brought humor and levity to the roll, but also a real heart to the character, which was only a backdrop in Spider-man 3.

1.) Garfield's performance. While the writing of Peter's character was sloppy, Garfiled makes up for this otherwise fatal flaw by giving an inspired performance, that obviously stems from his longtime love of the character.

I think the scenes where they got Peter/Spider-Man right, Garfield knocked it out of the park. If Garfield had worked with better material, I think he could have EASILY been the best Spider-Man (and I tremendously enjoyed Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man, by the way).

2.) mechanical web-shooters. While I despised everyone that ran that stupid "NoOrganicWebShooters.com" website from back in the day. I think going back to the original idea was refreshing, and gave peter a new vulnerablility as seen in the sewer fight and the ending fight with lizard.

I didn't mind the organics, but I'm definitely not against mechanicals (especially since they're straight from the comics). I am not a huge fan with how Peter got them in the movie, per se, but I completely agree with you about how it introduced some extra challenges in battle. :up:

3.) Martin Sheen - while I think the late Cliff Robertson is the "Marlin Brando" of Uncle Ben's, I really respect the job Martin Sheen did. It was heavily influenced by the Ultimate comics (but at least they didn't give him a pony tail), however he gave an inspired performance and one to be admired.

Martin Sheen is noteworthy in this movie, and this is coming from someone who honestly dreaded him before seeing the film (I've never been a fan of his, to tell you the truth). He exceeded my expectations.

I don't know if I mentioned this in a previous thread, but the "oh ****" reactions from the audience when Captain Stacy first popped into Gwen's room were gold. I love how Webb and co. played that card.

-Spidey
-Gwen
-Crane scene
-Sewer scene
-high school fight
-stan lee's cameo
-spidey using web against lizard.

POV shot looked terrible in the trailer (TERRIBLE!) but in the movie this is where the 3D really popped. Looked utterly amazing on the IMAX 3D screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"